Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,190 times

Advertisements

Philly has amazing beaches.....
Jenks is holding.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8rgrd8z8-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9shmOCabGU

Google Jersey; good to epic images. No different than a Val driving to Oxnard or Sandspit.

New Jersey beaches are minutes (moments) away.

http://i.cdn-surfline.com/surfnews/i..._jersey_nb.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,190 times
is that your final answer.... mine has less crowds.
www.mexicosurfshop.com

Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think the "Ew, but Chicago is in the Midwest I couldn't POSSIBLY live in the Midwest" attitude is elitist. For every single driveable natural attraction near Philly there is one near Chicago. As for shore line, Chicago without a doubt has the most attractive water front of any American City.
I'm not saying all that. I just shared my opinion that I personally need the ocean nearby since I surf as a hobby. I don't even live in Philly. Philly is even a little too far from the ocean for me TBH.

I don't think "East Coast elitism" is a real thing, or at least not as big of a thing as people on CityData like to make it seem. It shouldn't be a surprise that most people that live on the coast would prefer coastal locations when the topic comes up, but nobody in real life looks down on non-coastal cities like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Being only two hours from NYC does not in any way bridge the difference to make Philadelphia better than Chicago. That's no diss at Philly, Dallas (my current home) Houston, Seatle are all in the same boat, Chicago is in a tier above them all.
I never said any of this either. All I did was share my opinion on location when the topic came up and talk about how flying time is not the same as actual location and proximity.

And I voted for Chicago in the poll too, FWIW.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 02-17-2017 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-17-2017, 06:29 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I detect north coast elitistism over the south coast and mid coast.
Oh no no you are wrong. Da Great Lakes are -- Da "Third Coast". You see.

I guess Philadelphians can claim something like - Sara Palin once said that others had a field-day with - "I can see Russia from my house".

*** Philadelphian's can say - "I can see the Jersey Shore from my house". ***

After all - the Jersey shore is mere minutes - ** moments ** -away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Philly has amazing beaches.....

* New Jersey beaches are minutes (moments) away *
Chicago also has a National Park. Yep, da Great Sand Dunes Park on the Lake Michigan Shore. A mere 35-40 miles away. Straight line across the Lake from downtown.

So " you can LITERALLY- see Chicago from Indiana shores even a quarter ways into da state of Indiana. Even as da earth curves. So chalk up a National Park for Chicago. Add dat to da 26 miles of 's shore in da city too. ---- *** Not getting - desperate I'm I --- ??

You can see Da ChiCago skyline from --
Indiana like 40 miles away as da seagull flies. OK

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Fresh Coast, North Coast, Third Coast. You get all three in Chicago.

Really though, having such a unique large body of water right next to the towering skyline is pretty amazing. People should do summer beach vacations in Chicago more often.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Fresh Coast, North Coast, Third Coast. You get all three in Chicago.

Really though, having such a unique large body of water right next to the towering skyline is pretty amazing. People should do summer beach vacations in Chicago more often.
Yes, the Lake is a "great" asset to the city. But would not be as much the asset it is - if it did not preserve its lakefront by re-building one. Philly has assets of 2 Riverfronts. Hopefully it continues to re-discover it as its doing. But I guess since it craves a waterfront with beaches. Since its CSA gives it a sliver of NJ to Atlantic City. We have to give then the coast of Atlantic City?

Rather then highlight their rivers? Some rather claim virtually all the South Jersey shoreline as if Philly's fronts it too?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,901,088 times
Unless your city is named New York or Give or Take Los Angeles, Chicago has your city beat, I thought that's been established on this site, But what do I know, Been to Chicago and New York never Philly tho so maybe I'm not qualified to speak

Old 02-18-2017, 05:37 PM

Whenever postings on Philly has the Jersey Shore claimed as if it is "not" along the Delaware river? But the Jersey Shore? As if it is like ---- irrevelent? Without any postings on Philly's true waterfront even mentioned?

Also like Philly is a coastal city? I think pictures are due. Really, one asset Chicago has under its belt is Lake Michigan it is - directly along.
Oak st Beach, N Shore, Mag' Daley pk, Downtown

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 10:26 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
It's hard argument about which is the coast-est. The ocean is much larger than any great lake, but I do think people misunderstand how large the great lakes on a personal level in terms of having waves and not being able to see the next piece of land over it. Meanwhile, there's the reasonable argument that Philly is miles away from its arguably superior shore, but Chicago has its skyline butting up directly to its shoreline.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,907,002 times
I don't get this Philly being close to the beach theme. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Jersey Shore a good 60 miles away. It close but not close enough to count as an amenity of Philadelphia. He'll Houston is closer to Galveston and I still wouldn't consider it a prototypical coastal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City