Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Have you seen the weather in Chicago this winter? Way warmer than Philly, and no snow since Christmas. Sixtys most of the rest of the week and into next week.
You sure about that? It has been a very mild Winter for Philly too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,710,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Have you seen the weather in Chicago this winter? Way warmer than Philly, and no snow since Christmas. Sixtys most of the rest of the week and into next week. Although admittedly this is an unusual year, when east coasters boast about their winter weather, it is almost laughable, since the nor'easters are worse and more frequent than anything in Chicago. You say Chicago is a better city, but love the weather in Philly, which is silly to me. One thing that Philly is closer to as far as east coast cities is Camden, Trenton, and Chester, some of the worst areas of the country that I have visited. While Chicago might have Gary, Philly to me, with endless row houses and urban ugliness, is far less appealing with South Jersey. I would throw Mid-Atlantic Baltimore in that mix as far as urban grit. A location near NYC and Washington can't erase the city's shortcomings, and as construction in Chicago continues to far outpace Philadelphia's, so too will the disparity between the cities grow.
Well aren't you nasty...
Don't kid yourself Chicago gets COLD. To the bone COLD. Don't let this one measly week become the standard for what is known as an unbearable COLD Chicago winter. Y'all have a different COLD over there....I know because I visited my Godsister and I couldn't deal. I did think it was a beautiful city though.
Philly may have shortcomings but it's a great city nonetheless.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,270,676 times
What I don't really understand it the big location argument of being closer to NYC, Boston etc. I think it just east coasters being elitist and hating on the Midwest. I live in Dallas which, like Chicago, has one of the busiest airports in the country. NYC is 3 hours and $100-200 bucks away from me. Im sure its an even shorter and possibly even less expensive flight from Chi-Town to NYC. In that sense Philadelphia is only an hour closer than Chicago.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
What I don't really understand it the big location argument of being closer to NYC, Boston etc. I think it just east coasters being elitist and hating on the Midwest. I live in Dallas which, like Chicago, has one of the busiest airports in the country. NYC is 3 hours and $100-200 bucks away from me. Im sure its an even shorter and possibly even less expensive flight from Chi-Town to NYC. In that sense Philadelphia is only an hour closer than Chicago.
Your NYC flight is 3 hours air time (Chicago's is a bit over two), but you need to get to the airport an hour earlier than that. The airports of any city are also generally not in downtown or the dense, populated neighborhoods so you need to account for travel time to and from airports in both cities which can cost money depending on if you take a cab or need to pay for overnight parking or some such. Realistically, you're talking more like a three to four hour difference for the one way (six to eight for the round trip) unless you live next to the airport of one and really just wanted to hang out in the airport of the other. Or if you really like planes and it's not really going to NYC so much as enjoying riding in an economy airline back and forth and seeing the renowned beauty of NYC's airports.

I think the difference is that your scenario makes a weekend trip, especially an extended weekend trip, to NYC a reasonable enough idea. For Philadelphia, that threshold can be shortened down to a day trip if one wants and not have to pay for lodging.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-17-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Some of these post calling another nasty to - DARE to say - Philly gets Nor'easters (well it did this year) and not call Philly winters Mild? By labeling them as being nasty too. Just to not complement Philly on having MOSTLY nicer, gentler winters? Is Childish - and with malice too in the reply. It's uncalled for. Does this really demean Philly? Then disregard the other points that made also? It's drivel and a "fake debate".

It is rediculas to a even use winters - both cities get. To boast about or - "God forbid you DARE say my city's winter is MERELY as bad as yours" to be mad over.

If Philadephians (or others) need to boost Philly to claim "we can do NYC as a day trip"? Apparently - Philly really can't stand on its own? Though they HATE to have NYC taking some of its limelight to begin with if overlooked for NYC and DC.

Can't people just "discuss these cities in their own merits, attributes and aesthetics, traits and built environments? That is far more what the OP originally in 2009 meant. ☺

Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I live in NYC but a lot of my family and friends live in Philly and surrounding areas. I make the Philly <--> NYC trip very frequently, at least once or twice a month.

You seem to be saying that location doesn't matter because you can fly from other parts of the country. Comparing flight time to driving time is kind of an "apples to oranges" type thing. To add onto what OyCrumbler said, flying takes way longer than just the flight itself, and there are many other things that you have to factor in too. It is way less convienient in so many ways. There's also scheduling and price differences as well.

I get $10 bus tickets that run every hour between Lower Manhattan and Center City from 6am-11pm. The travel time is about 2 hours on weekdays, but closer to 1.5 hours on weeknights and weekends. I'm also talking about from one city core to another. People that make this trip that live in places like Northeast Philly, Staten Island, or NJ have an even shorter travel time.

There's also the train as a possibility. Amtrak between 30th st in Philly and Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan is only 70 minutes. The NJT train from Trenton is ~1 hour.

And then there are things other than cities, like having the ocean nearby. I like to surf, and the beach and the ocean are a huge part of who I am + how I grew up and I could not live without having the ocean nearby.

Anyways, I don't think it's "elitist" at all to mention location. It comes into the discussion for all city vs. city threads. Flying is not anywhere near as easy or convienient at all, nor affordable for many people.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 02-17-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Here we go again on City Data. Trenton goes to Philly when there is a negative connotation but if its for positive one it goes to NYC.
Really? I've never heard of Trenton being used as a positive, maybe other than the transit hub they have there.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Really? I've never heard of Trenton being used as a positive, maybe other than the transit hub they have there.
Just with city-data drama.

Trenton and Mercer County are a part of Philadelphia concerning depressing issues like crime, unemployment, poverty statistics.

Trenton and Mercer County are part of NYC when discussing positives like GDP, population, population growth, transit etc etc.

Got it?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Just with city-data drama.

Trenton and Mercer County are a part of Philadelphia concerning depressing issues like crime, unemployment, poverty statistics.

Trenton and Mercer County are part of NYC when discussing positives like GDP, population, population growth, transit etc etc.

Got it?
If you gotta include All southern NJ to Philly's advantage. You have to include its cities too. But it is taking a mention of Trenton? As if someone totally just trashed all Philly to some extreme? That then comes across as being paranoid and a inferiority complex?

Just say Trenton does not affect Philly and NYC's CSA basically claims it anyway. Then its a none issue for Philadelphians and those in its MSA. Easy see - ☺

As for daily Bus trips to NYC? They run those from Central PA. So why is this even a trivial defense for Philly on Chicago?

Really, Philly can surely rely on its OWN cities attributes, built environment and offerings. - can't it?

Instead of this other stuff Chicagoans are not even getting involved in. Because it's a side-show to make it something - no one really sees as some Big positive or negative? Just the attitudes in pushing more trivial points.

Get to the Cities themselves.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Trenton is weird because NYC CSA does claim it, but it is actually closer to Philly than it is to NYC. SEPTA also goes into Trenton as well.

It gets weird in parts of Jersey when you transition from NYC area to Philly area. There's a good amount of overlap and some mixed areas. Some parts of Jersey even have both NYC and Philly TV news stations, Philly and NYC sports fans, Philly and NYC commuters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City