Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
What? Are you kidding me? Philly does not link itself to NYC as a matter of fact they hate being compared to NYC. The city that tried to compete with NYC is Boston. Give me a break....
Chicago is beautiful but you guys really need to get a handle on that crime situation because it's atrocious.
Chicago's crime problem is an embarrassment. It's essentially Mexico's drug portal into the U.S. In some ways it's everyone's problems but the mess is in aisle 9 in Chicago. Sh*t needs to be taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,250,220 times
Quote:
What? Are you kidding me? Philly does not link itself to NYC as a matter of fact they hate being compared to NYC. The city that tried to compete with NYC is Boston. Give me a break....
Chicago is beautiful but you guys really need to get a handle on that crime situation because it's atrocious.
On my comment? I clearly meant in "likeness" linked to NYC as in comparisons most like it. That they luv.
My post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Second City is probably more referring to a 1st city before the Great Fire of 1871 with a 2nd city that arose again.

Also Chicagoan's compare themselves to NYC far less then Philadelphians's.
***** Philly besides, """links itself in likeness to NYC""". More then any other city. With Chicago not really at all.

All cities stand on their own also. But perhaps a couple twin cities next to each other like Minneapolis/St Paul and Dallas/Ft Worth. I also see little likenesses between Philly and Chicago.
****** But Philly does claim a """"likenes to NYC""". Chicago links itself to no city. It stands alone in the Midwest. Though it isn't necessarily like other Midwestern cities. I see a lot of differences between Philly and Chicago. But in size.They are able to be compared fairly.
So pleeeze spare me Philadelphians have anger or hate toward others.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

857 posts, read 1,367,528 times
Quote:
I think this is a narrative that people from outside of the Philly/Jersey/NY area try to create as a slight to Philly; which in my opinion, actually speaks to that persons insecurities about their city/region that they have to bring up NY when talking about Philly. Both cities, imho, are the two cities that define big city northeast/east coast culture. NY being NY, of course gets more credit than Philly (which isn't always fair to Philly, but Philly always holds its own); after NY, again imho, Philly is the biggest and baddest city on the east coast. I think most people from or familiar with the area know the cities are similar in a lot of ways, considering how close they are and how their metro areas bleed into each other. Both still have their own local flavor though.

And lets not attack Boston, there's no reason. Boston is another great northeast city. Boston is further away from NY and Philly, so it has more room to flourish, without having to compete with NY for business; which despite this, Philly does quite well (though it could be doing even better, get those business tax laws together Philly ).

But as far as a Chicago vs Philly argument goes, there are two cities that outdo Philly when it comes to overall big city living, and that's New York City and that is also Chicago. Though, as mentioned earlier, Chicago and Philly are a much closer comparison than either are to NY. My two cents.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,250,220 times
^^^^ Honestly, I do not feel I slighted Philly to note its link in LIKENESS to NYC. I have seen numerous post on C-D that luv Philly being the city most like NYC and in comparing attributes of a city outside its Metro too? As to add to their cities credentials. Proximity to NYC and the Jersey shore are two.

Again, I said nothing against Philly. Yet others still try to twist and add to it and add THEY have insecurities on Philly.

Sorry, but it seems it is more the other way around to find things in others post not there. It is why threads begin to heat up.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

857 posts, read 1,367,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
^^^^ Honestly, I do not feel I slighted Philly to note its link in LIKENESS to NYC. I have seen numerous post on C-D that luv Philly being the city most like NYC and in comparing attributes of a city outside its Metro too? As to add to their cities credentials. Proximity to NYC and the Jersey shore are two.

Again, I said nothing against Philly. Yet others still try to twist and add to it and add THEY have insecurities on Philly.

Sorry, but it seems it is more the other way around to find things in others post not there. It is why threads begin to heat up.
That's fine. I have no dog in this fight. I have respect and love for all cities being discussed in this thread.

I'd also like to note that I wasn't necessarily putting you on blast, which is why I didn't quote you specifically, I was more speaking to the patterns I see on this forum. But if the shoe fits..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,221,630 times
I love Philly and enjoy going there to see friends, but I did notice a bit of a difference in energy and the vibe of the city. Chicago seems to be more "bold" and in-your-face. I think a lot of that is probably just that it stands alone for the most part as the capital of the Midwest, whereas Philadelphia is swept into the swath of cities within the northeast. Not mean to be a dig on Philadelphia at all, just seemed a difference in mood of the places.

I never really understood the "Chicago vs New York" thing. I've been in Chicago for over 15 years and I've never heard anyone really comparing the two or that there's some sort of contest. I love New York, and people point out differences, but it's not like some rivalry. They're such DIFFERENT feeling cities when you're there. No big comparisons other than tall buildings and very dense.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,269 times
Love both cities, but im going with Philadelphia.

The Philly metro area is full of lush green historic towns and full of history that Chicago simply cannot match. It's also much closer to the ocean.

Sports and food are a wash. Both among the best there is.

Chicago has more concentrated nightlife, but Philadelphia is no slouch there either. I have a blast in both cities.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,190,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I love Philly and enjoy going there to see friends, but I did notice a bit of a difference in energy and the vibe of the city. Chicago seems to be more "bold" and in-your-face. I think a lot of that is probably just that it stands alone for the most part as the capital of the Midwest, whereas Philadelphia is swept into the swath of cities within the northeast. Not mean to be a dig on Philadelphia at all, just seemed a difference in mood of the places.

I never really understood the "Chicago vs New York" thing. I've been in Chicago for over 15 years and I've never heard anyone really comparing the two or that there's some sort of contest. I love New York, and people point out differences, but it's not like some rivalry. They're such DIFFERENT feeling cities when you're there. No big comparisons other than tall buildings and very dense.
I get a more expansive, spacious, relaxed vibe in Chicago, and a more congestive, dense, frantic and aggressive vibe in Philly. I agree they are very different cities naturally with Philly being a Northeastern city and Chicago being a midwestern city. Philly is a big fish in a big pond, Chicago is a bigger fish and the alpha fish in a medium pond.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I get a more expansive, spacious, relaxed vibe in Chicago, and a more congestive, dense, frantic and aggressive vibe in Philly. I agree they are very different cities naturally with Philly being a Northeastern city and Chicago being a midwestern city. Philly is a big fish in a big pond, Chicago is a bigger fish and the alpha fish in a medium pond.
I agree with you. I love Philly and Chicago, but I think the faster vibe, more in-your-face attitude that is characteristic of the NE, is more prevalent in Philly. You can definitely find that vibe in Chicago too, especially in parts of the Loop and in the more blue collar areas where there are less transplants. I think that Philly's greater density also gives it a little more hustle-and-bustle feel.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with you. I love Philly and Chicago, but I think the faster vibe, more in-your-face attitude that is characteristic of the NE, is more prevalent in Philly. You can definitely find that vibe in Chicago too, especially in parts of the Loop and in the more blue collar areas where there are less transplants. I think that Philly's greater density also gives it a little more hustle-and-bustle feel.
Philadelphia, under absolutely no circumstances, has a more hustle-and-bustle feel than Chicago. Where in the world is this coming from? Maybe you're referring to the small area around Center City, but in no way does Philadelphia compare to Chicago for vibrancy. Chicago is an incredibly vibrant, something-going-on-every-minute across a pretty broad area (South Loop to Gold Coast, and it spills into Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, etc.). Philly is actually a pretty vibrant city in its own right, but... No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City