Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Never said Chicago wasn't walkable. All I said was that Chicago isn't more walkable than Philadelphia. Chicago can't beat Philly in everything. It would be delusional to think otherwise.
Everything? No way. No one city in the world beats any other given city on every single thing - well at least world-class city level ones. As much as I love NYC for example, I'd never claim it was the absolute best at everything.

Anyway, for walkability you're comparing a city of 1.5 million to a city of 2.7 million. You'd be correct if you said "by percentage of the total city, Philadelphia is more walkalbe" - I'd agree with that statement (but not by a huge margin like you may think). However, realize the point I'm trying to make is that there are huge areas of Chicago, with a population of over 1 million people, that are just as walkable if not moreso than the entire city of Philadelphia averaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Some of our cultural institutions surpass Chicago's - or example, the Art Institute of Chicago is a very fine museum and certainly in the top ten in the US but or Museum of Fine Art is even better with a much more comprehensive collection. One more thing: our Phillies are better than the Cubs.
I definitely cannot agree that the Museum of Fine Art in Philly is a finer art museum than the Art Institute. They are certainly both fine museums, though.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,221,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Chicago without question. There is no comparison here. Chicago is a world class city. Chicago is in fact classified as an alpha city by the GaWC study. Philly is classified a beta+ city. NYC, LA, and Chicago are THE cities that people around the world think of when they think of the US. The link below will give you an idea of how world cities are classified.
Imo the people around the world think NY+ Wash big drop LA drop then the next group of cities possibly led by Chicago.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:08 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Everything? No way. No one city in the world beats any other given city on every single thing - well at least world-class city level ones. As much as I love NYC for example, I'd never claim it was the absolute best at everything.

Anyway, for walkability you're comparing a city of 1.5 million to a city of 2.7 million. You'd be correct if you said "by percentage of the total city, Philadelphia is more walkalbe" - I'd agree with that statement (but not by a huge margin like you may think). However, realize the point I'm trying to make is that there are huge areas of Chicago, with a population of over 1 million people, that are just as walkable if not moreso than the entire city of Philadelphia averaged.
Because of the walk score right?

You seem to be so fixated on the population comparison. The only reason Chicago has about a million more people than Philadelphia is because the city was able to annex more land into its city proper. Otherwise the population gap between the two cities wouldn't be as high.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,350 times
Who cares if Philly is more "walkable"? Most of Philly is not safe to walk in.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Because of the walk score right?
What...? I was making a general comment about cities and you turn it into that? What the hell?

Quote:
You seem to be so fixated on the population comparison. The only reason Chicago has about a million more people than Philadelphia is because the city was able to annex more land into its city proper. Otherwise the population gap between the two cities wouldn't be as high.
Okay let me try and put it another way. Not everywhere in Chicago is as walkable as Philadelphia. HOWEVER, there are very, very large geographic areas (that have a lot of population) that are very close to the population of the city of Philadelphia that are just as walkable as Philadelphia, on average.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand and process.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Seems like the only argument that can be made for Philly, is that it has better options for a day trip.
Location should be a critical criteria in any argument. It should be much more of a factor than how many tall buildings one city has compared to another. Philadelphia might have the best location in the country. It's far enough away from the coast(50miles) that the COL doesnt strangle you but close enough that you can be at the beach in 60-75 minutes.

Its an hour or so from NYC-DC-Mountains-Beach and its a kickass city in its own right surrounded by beautiful countryside. Chicagos tall buildings can't overcome those factors.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM

^ I agree, Philadelphia has a better location in case you want to visit other great cities (NYC, Boston, DC) and has some better surrounding nature outside of the city.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I agree, Philadelphia has a better location in case you want to visit other great cities (NYC, Boston, DC) and has some better surrounding nature outside of the city.
When you add all combined factors to a direct Philly/Chicago matchup Philadelphia is the place to be/live in comparison to Chicago. If Philadelphia were say Toledo or no offense Atlanta then its a different story. When you bring Philadelphias multitude of attributes and add location its a tko.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Who cares if Philly is more "walkable"? Most of Philly is not safe to walk in.
Most? Not at all. Probably about 30% is unsafe to walk in. I would say about 20% is suburbanish (like Northeast Philly) and not entirely walkable but more car oriented. So I would say 50% of the city is safe and great to walk in.

Honestly Chicago has larger swaths of ghetto than Philly, and they're just as dangerous. So no idea what that comment was about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City