Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:31 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,404,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Men, there is no need for havoc and melee! (I recently re-watched Cooley High). Both cities are outstanding! I'm eternally grateful that I can visit both cities, despite the distance between them. Thank goodness, both cities provide a unique experience.

I must re-visit Philly soon. I was there in the early 90s. All that I cared for was where the ladies were. Now, I want to see Philadelphia, with my wife and children.

I can't wait to go back to the city that I was born and raised just outside of: Chicago. The first time I took my children, they complained about all of the walking that we did. They're older now. Although, they enjoyed the boat tour and Navy Pier, the Children's Museum, in particular.
I was actually in Philadelphia last week with a friend from here who had never visited prior. It started as a DC trip with me as an invited guest, but ended in Philadelphia three days later. I've traveled to Philly many times before and have several friends there, so I know the area quite well. Since he was gracious enough to show me around DC (I've been there before, but never with anyone who really knows the place as he does) I wanted to show him around Philly.

As a first time visitor, he wanted to see landmarks like the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Geno's/Pats and Independence Hall. Although not exactly a landmark, he also wanted to see Lincoln Financial Field. Beyond the tourist traps, we ventured into many neighborhoods in South, West, Northwest, Northeast, Old City, Fishtown, Rittenhouse, the whole nine. He opted to eat at Whole Foods of all places (as if he can't get that at home) so we went to the one on South St.

These are some of my pics taken along the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,899,061 times
The link to your photos aren't here. Could you repost them?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
He said those were his personal photos.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,404,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Just right click on any of them and select "copy image URL" and the link is there.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,222,843 times
So I am at the Wawa in North Wildwood and its busting at the seams. They have 12 gas pumps and the line is 3-4 for each pump.

These clowns from New Yawk -probably Brooklyn- are in front of me on pump 5. They all decide -driver included-they are going to go into Wawa and order some hoagies and cheese steaks as they wait for the car ahead of them to gas up. So that car in front finishes gassing up and I jump ahead of the gang bangers car who are now blocking pump 5.

The gang bangers " wannabe NY thugs of italian persuasion "- 5 of them - come rushing out of Wawa and start threatening me and banging on my car for cutting in front of them. I thought I was in skit of the MTV show Jersey Shore. I stepped out of the car(tinted windows). Im 6'6" 260 lb. and I grabbed the first one by the scruff of his neck and told him you are in my neighborhood punk and take that guido North jersey/ NY BS back to Seaside Heights.The other 4 scurried back into the store.

NYers if you come south of Atlantic City leave the act in NY. That doesn't play here in the South jersey beaches.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,404 times
I can't believe someone would try to lessen CHICAGO'S attributes for being on a Lake and its beaches to ocean ones??? When its between Chicago and Philly? Philly is on a river.. I know some want to include the whole New Jersey Shoreline as if suburban Philly. And even NYC?? But then then complain if you include Wisconsin's sights for Chicagoans pleasure or Indiana??

Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I can't believe someone would try to lessen CHICAGO'S attributes for being on a Lake and its beaches to ocean ones??? When its between Chicago and Philly? Philly is on a river.. I know some want to include the whole New Jersey Shoreline as if suburban Philly. And even NYC?? But then then complain if you include Wisconsin's sights for Chicagoans pleasure or Indiana??
At the same time you can't brag about a lake as if it is some huge advantage over Philly when the city is in close proximity of the ocean and two bays.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:50 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,404 times
gwilly-- Just seems nobody boast about Philly on the Delaware River ?? But push the city as if on the Jersey shore. When it still is not. Chicago is on a Great Lake and no on can argue about boasting that. Given CHICAGO'S font yard begins and ends there and its downtown is along it.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,183,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I was actually in Philadelphia last week with a friend from here who had never visited prior. It started as a DC trip with me as an invited guest, but ended in Philadelphia three days later. I've traveled to Philly many times before and have several friends there, so I know the area quite well. Since he was gracious enough to show me around DC (I've been there before, but never with anyone who really knows the place as he does) I wanted to show him around Philly.

As a first time visitor, he wanted to see landmarks like the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Geno's/Pats and Independence Hall. Although not exactly a landmark, he also wanted to see Lincoln Financial Field. Beyond the tourist traps, we ventured into many neighborhoods in South, West, Northwest, Northeast, Old City, Fishtown, Rittenhouse, the whole nine. He opted to eat at Whole Foods of all places (as if he can't get that at home) so we went to the one on South St.

These are some of my pics taken along the way.

Great pics.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,899,061 times
I had a layover in Chicago the other day after spending the summer in Philly and from the air their skyline looks better than ours. It seems they have a long row of buildings not far from the lake. The city looks a bit larger and a bit nicer. I'm looking forward to visiting there next summer. The airport ( O'hara) is much nicer than PHL. Last night I saw Transformers and the close up views of the skyline looked awesome. Philly has improved a lot in the past decade and STILL is making improvements but STILL has some ways to oh to reach Chicago's level. I still plan to move back to Philly once I leave LA, it has a lot to offer but still needs improvement with the schools, crime, street cleaning, public transportation, and overall employment for it's current residence.

I snapped plenty of pictures and went to a lot of events and can see clearly that it's a great city and can hold its own against the best of them but there's another notch or two it has to go to truly reach " World Class" status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City