Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM

300 posts, read 441,652 times

Advertisements

If I was going to visit one of the two I'd pick Chicago. I've had a lot of fun in Wrigleyville(Beer(the bar) is a lot of fun) after Cubs games and there is some pretty interesting stuff along the shore.

When picking a place to live I would pick Philadelphia. I would want to live in their suburbs first. It's closer to more interesting things, whether that is in the city or being able to drive to New York, Baltimore(Inner Harbor is a good place to spend an afternoon) or DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,860,031 times
Men, there is no need for havoc and melee! (I recently re-watched Cooley High). Both cities are outstanding! I'm eternally grateful that I can visit both cities, despite the distance between them. Thank goodness, both cities provide a unique experience.

I must re-visit Philly soon. I was there in the early 90s. All that I cared for was where the ladies were. Now, I want to see Philadelphia, with my wife and children.

I can't wait to go back to the city that I was born and raised just outside of: Chicago. The first time I took my children, they complained about all of the walking that we did. They're older now. Although, they enjoyed the boat tour and Navy Pier, the Children's Museum, in particular.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM

591 posts, read 782,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Again.... Lake... not the ocean. Not the same thing at all. However, the lake front beaches are a plus over the city of Philly for sure.

Nice to see Chicago getting a riverwalk. Philadelphia currently has one - the Schuylkill Banks Trail along the Schuylkill River is currently 23 miles long and runs from Center City through Fairmount Park and Northwest Philly all the way to Valley Forge in the suburbs. They are also currently extending it further south.

Schuylkill River Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Delaware Waterfront on the other hand, is still primarily ports and industrial land, but there are signs that momentum is starting to gather for the Delaware's redevelopment. There are huge plans for the Delaware Waterfront. So far it has been slow getting off the ground, but as of late, a lot of developments have been cropping up on the waterfront.
Master Plan for the Central Delaware | Philadelphia Waterfront Redevelopment
PlanPhilly | Waterfront study says $250-million Penn's Landing investment would return $1.6 billion
again, the ocean Isnt walking distance from the city.

good to know about the Schuylkill Banks Trail, but i would relate that more to the 18 mile lakefront trail in Chicago. chicago currently has a river walk, but they are now extending it. plus it is more of a designed pleasant walk, not just a bike trail.
hears some pics:
City of Chicago :: Chicago Riverwalk

Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,404 times
SUMMERSM343---Please keep it civil and no insults. I mapquested Downtown Chicago to Six- Flags Great America in SUBURBAN Gurnee Il. It is 42 miles and a (55 minute drive). I NEVER wish to deny Philly or any city its good attributes. I like Philly and live in central PA. 50 miles north of Hershey. I see the topic is on these cities and their suburban reach. All cities as you leave its suburbs you hit farming areas. I commented by having lived in Chicago a few years and a couple days ago visited again. I have visited Philly a few times too. I don't think anyone moves to Chicago or Philly believing they are the best cities in the world, Maybe NYC. I MERELY Prefer Chicago in its housing with a LARGE bungalow stock with front lawns and no row homes like those all over the Northeast. The vibrancy of its downtown, culture, museums and Lakefront. This in no way should lessen Philly's. I also prefer a flatter setting for urban living. I surely do not see amusement parks are a trait to rate either city by. NO ONE SHOULD REPLY TO BASH OR MOCK EITHER CITY AS SOME HATER. I hope both cities continue to prosper, renew and develop their waterfronts. PS. CHICAGO IS WINNING IN VOTES 3 TO 1.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
PS. CHICAGO IS WINNING IN VOTES 3 TO 1.
To be fair, the poll was created back in 2009. A lot has changed in Philly since then.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,404 times
The topic is not about my spelling. My spell check is on. When one runs out of real comments they get agitated and think a insult boost their warrant over another. I documented my post by map quest for distance and travel times to correct a post against Six Flags in Gurnee Il being within hours from downtown Chicago? It is within a hour by map quest and Hershey Park and Dorney Park from Philly isn't much closer as another said. In don't see Allentown and Hershey/Harrisburg Pa as suburban Philly. Gurnee Il is within suburban Chicago which goes north to the Wisconsin border.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,535,461 times
To clarify here, Chicago is a pretty vast area and all, and stretches for a good length North/South along the Lake vs East/West, which explains the distance from the Loop to it, but 6 Flags is solidly in the Chicago suburbs. Everyone familiar with Chicago will tell you this.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Not sure why theme park access is dominating the conversation, here. Pretty inconsequential criterion for most people. Even this topic, though, does not seem to give one city a major edge over the other.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not sure why theme park access is dominating the conversation, here. Pretty inconsequential criterion for most people. Even this topic, though, does not seem to give one city a major edge over the other.
Agreed. This (and other criteria mentioned) are not things anyone would likely consider when choosing one metro vs. the other.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Agreed. This (and other criteria mentioned) are not things anyone would likely consider when choosing one metro vs. the other.
I am confused on why things to do around the area wouldn't be a factor? Do you people really just stay in the city limits all the time and dream about living in a high rise penthouse? If you so, you should probably get out more. Obviously if you were looking to move somewhere, than the most important thing would be Job placement, security, and a place that meets your socioeconomic needs. You can pretty much find that in any of the major Metros in USA. If you actually live in the city, at least this is how I feel, you need to get out of it once and awhile do things out of the norm. Like go to the Gettysburg and see the battlefield or Washington's Crossing to see the old colonial buildings that still are scattered through out the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City