Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
I haven't read anyone trying to convince anyone that lake Michigan is comparable to the Atlantic ocean, even thou it is the largest freshwater lake in the world I believe. But simply that we have lakefront property accessibility literally in walking distance of the loop the heart of downtown Chicago. As far as residential architecture, it will be hard pressed to find houses as beautiful as the works of frank Lloyd wright in nearby oak park for example, but I'm sure Philly has nice ones as well
We have bungalows on the East Coast but they are considered suburbanish because rowhouses dominate our urban areas. So you see why most east coasters already have an opinion about them. Plus they are not as architectually charming as the rowhouses you see in Philly, DC, Boston and New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,413,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am confused on why things to do around the area wouldn't be a factor? Do you people really just stay in the city limits all the time and dream about living in a high rise penthouse? If you so, you should probably get out more. Obviously if you were looking to move somewhere, than the most important thing would be Job placement, security, and a place that meets your socioeconomic needs. You can pretty much find that in any of the major Metros in USA. If you actually live in the city, at least this is how I feel, you need to get out of it once and awhile do things out of the norm. Like go to the Gettysburg and see the battlefield or Washington's Crossing to see the old colonial buildings that still are scattered through out the woods.
Things to do are a factor, but as you pointed out, they aren't reasons to make a decision (least of all proximity to a theme park). The things that are being debated (length of time to get to a Six Flags or proximity to a boardwalk) are no reason to choose one metro area over the other and do not make one metro inherently better than the other. When it comes down to it, both offer a variety of things to do in the immediate city, the metro area, and further out.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Things to do are a factor, but as you pointed out, they aren't reasons to make a decision (least of all proximity to a theme park). The things that are being debated (length of time to get to a Six Flags or proximity to a boardwalk) are no reason to choose one metro area over the other and do not make one metro inherently better than the other. When it comes down to it, both offer a variety of things to do in the immediate city, the metro area, and further out.
I get what you were trying to say now. The reason we were talking about distances and stuff is because, again this is just my opinion, I believe that Philadelphia is a much better day trip city than Chicago. Day trip as in driving 1 to 2 hours somewhere and driving back at night. The measuring of distances was a side effect of the argument. A couple users named a few places that were closer to 3 to 4 hours away. If you are willing to drive 7 hours in a single day than god bless you lol. (obviously this all depends on where you live in the city or metro area.)

Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,404 times
GO CHICAGO... This past week just landing a new museum. Chicago has beat out San Francisco for a NEW GEORGE LUCAS MUSEUM. The man behind Star Wars is fully funding the museum to be built just south of Solder Field on CHICAGO'S Great Lakefront. It will be added to Chicago's Museum Campus near the Shed Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum of Natural History. All parking will be underground and further parkland will be enhanced for the enjoyment of all. Lucas said Chicago was chosen cause the city offered him such a Prime Location. Didn't hurt his wife is a Chicagoan either.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,079 times
^^^Philly has far better day trips than Chicago by virtue of its central location in the NE.

The ability to take worthwhile day trips is a nice advantage, but very few people are going to put that high up on their list of reasons to move somewhere.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:24 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,535,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Philly has far better day trips than Chicago by virtue of its central location in the NE.

The ability to take worthwhile day trips is a nice advantage, but very few people are going to put that high up on their list of reasons to move somewhere.
Agreed. And several times I've mentioned this already, but Chicago has the nicest "actual" location (on the Lake), Philly has the best hour or two radius, and both have nice opportunities once you go beyond 2-3 hours. Philly/East Coast folks are unsurprisingly focusing on what Philly "wins" (1-2 hour radius) instead of acknowledging the full story.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:28 PM

591 posts, read 782,665 times
so basically,
in the city: Chicago
outside of the city: Philly

Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,708,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Agreed. And several times I've mentioned this already, but Chicago has the nicest "actual" location (on the Lake), Philly has the best hour or two radius, and both have nice opportunities once you go beyond 2-3 hours. Philly/East Coast folks are unsurprisingly focusing on what Philly "wins" (1-2 hour radius) instead of acknowledging the full story.
Anoneltist is actually living in the San Francisco Bay Area if I'm not mistaken, not Philly.

And I mentioned several times that Chicago wins on the city level - there's no way around that. It's just an all around bigger and better city on most aspects. Philly IMO though has the better Metro area and location. That's what I've been saying this whole time.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,535,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Anoneltist is actually living in the San Francisco Bay Area if I'm not mistaken, not Philly.

And I mentioned several times that Chicago wins on the city level - there's no way around that. It's just an all around bigger and better city on most aspects. Philly IMO though has the better Metro area and location. That's what I've been saying this whole time.
I was agreeing with anonelitist (which is why the first word of my response was "agreed").

Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,708,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
GO CHICAGO... This past week just landing a new museum. Chicago has beat out San Francisco for a NEW GEORGE LUCAS MUSEUM. The man behind Star Wars is fully funding the museum to be built just south of Solder Field on CHICAGO'S Great Lakefront. It will be added to Chicago's Museum Campus near the Shed Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum of Natural History. All parking will be underground and further parkland will be enhanced for the enjoyment of all. Lucas said Chicago was chosen cause the city offered him such a Prime Location. Didn't hurt his wife is a Chicagoan either.
Wow. That is really big for Chicago. Congratulations, that will be a huge tourist attraction.

Philadelphia has two new museum additions as well - although not nearly as exciting.

The Barnes Foundation was just completed last year and sits right on the Ben Franklin Parkway on the Northern part of Center City right in the city's museum district. It houses the largest collection of Impressionist paintings in the world.
The Barnes Foundation — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

The other new addition will be the Museum of the American Revolution, which is currently under construction in Old City next to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Philadelphia actually beat out Boston for this museum.
Home | Museum of the American Revolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City