Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Agree.

Both Philly and Chicago have some nice areas. However, both cities have a lot of bad areas still. Both have high crime. Both need to adopt the NYC/ LA principle of reducing crime. I just always felt Chicago seemed much bigger. It is. You can't deny that. They really are different tiers no matter how much both are building new high rises and or still suffering from crime.
Sure. I still think that Chicago is a little closer to Philly, than Chicago is to New York. But, yes there is no question Chicago is obviously bigger than Philly by any definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The only city that can be compared to Chicago is NY. I never liked Philly. It is a shadow city, a shadow of NY. Whenever in Philly, I am always aware that NY isn't too far away. I can't think of Philly without thinking about NY being not too far. Philly has an ugly way about it that reeks of grime and manufactured sophistication. In Boxing, its fighters are known for determining their worth by how much punishment they can take and remain standing. Not interested in a city that places value on how much punishment a person can endure as a measure of their self-worth. Seems absolutely a stupid way to go through life.

Chicago, on the other hand, stands on its own. It is the giant of the Midwest, a powerful city of broad shoulders that dominates an entire region of the US. It's a place of quiet quality, extraordinary in every way without being in your face about it. Some of the most down-to-earth, good-natured people I have known reside here. It is not shadowed by any city.

As a Philadelphian I love this. Like we aren't aware Manhattan is 25-30 times larger than Center city. think about that for second. We are 1 hours train ride or a little more car rides away from a high rise/skyscraper city that the entire world adores. If you ever said "man now that I am in center city, think about how cool Manhattan is." Most people would tell you to go home because we don't care. I have never meant a more proud people in my life and wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else. I am not saying this type of mentality doesn't spawn morons because it certainly does. But the majority of us are some of the most hard working, open minded, and caring individuals you will ever meet in your life. We are proud of who we are and where we come from and aren't afraid to say it. No matter what you think of Philly, it is a fact it has a top 5 downtown residential population, it is overall a slightly more walkable city than Chicago and a top 5 walkable city in structure, and is still really black and white compared to most of the other large cities. It has a ton of vacant lots that only Detroit can compare to and a school district in a just as bad of situation as Chicago. And still Philly persists. Over the past few hundred years Philly appeared to be dead on a number of occasions but the people have always fought back and made something better for everyone. This might just be my idealistic view of things but before you write Philly off as some ghetto haven just remember that America would have never been the America we all know today without Philadelphia and momentum is building for all cities in the US and that is very true for Philly. Just look up the new possible renderings of the Ben Franklin Parkway

To the people who want to say chicago is so much bigger to that is fine. Just remember that there are more people per mile in Philly even though Fairmount park system is larger than Chicagos park system. No one doubts the architecture and downtown of Chicago as being great but it is more spread out outside of the peak neighborhoods than Philadelphia.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-01-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 06:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Chicago. Chicago is much more impressive in the downtown area. Philly is still really lacking some major retail stores in their downtown. That's why I never put Philly on San Francisco's level. Chicago is much larger and feels it. Philly is a great city, but it's a level below Chicago. People really have a disrespect for Chicago on here and I don't know why. Chicago is a great city with great food, architecture, a gorgeous lake and great suburbs. Love me some Chicago.
Here Here !! ... I will second this ⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴ �� �� ��

Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 PM

591 posts, read 782,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
As a Philadelphian I love this. Like we aren't aware Manhattan is 25-30 times larger than Center city. think about that for second. We are 1 hours train ride or a little more car rides away from a high rise/skyscraper city that the entire world adores. If you ever said "man now that I am in center city, think about how cool Manhattan is." Most people would tell you to go home because we don't care. I have never meant a more proud people in my life and wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else. I am not saying this type of mentality doesn't spawn morons because it certainly does. But the majority of us are some of the most hard working, open minded, and caring individuals you will ever meet in your life. We are proud of who we are and where we come from and aren't afraid to say it. No matter what you think of Philly, it is a fact it has a top 5 downtown residential population, it is overall a slightly more walkable city than Chicago and a top 5 walkable city in structure, and is still really black and white compared to most of the other large cities. It has a ton of vacant lots that only Detroit can compare to and a school district in a just as bad of situation as Chicago. And still Philly persists. Over the past few hundred years Philly appeared to be dead on a number of occasions but the people have always fought back and made something better for everyone. This might just be my idealistic view of things but before you write Philly off as some ghetto haven just remember that America would have never been the America we all know today without Philadelphia and momentum is building for all cities in the US and that is very true for Philly. Just look up the new possible renderings of the Ben Franklin Parkway

To the people who want to say chicago is so much bigger to that is fine. Just remember that there are more people per mile in Philly even though Fairmount park system is larger than Chicagos park system. No one doubts the architecture and downtown of Chicago as being great but it is more spread out outside of the peak neighborhoods than Philadelphia.
ditto...
http://youtu.be/vzcRNNm6ZmE

Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
The only city that can be compared to Chicago is NY. I never liked Philly. It is a shadow city, a shadow of NY. Whenever in Philly, I am always aware that NY isn't too far away. I can't think of Philly without thinking about NY being not too far. Philly has an ugly way about it that reeks of grime and manufactured sophistication. In Boxing, its fighters are known for determining their worth by how much punishment they can take and remain standing. Not interested in a city that places value on how much punishment a person can endure as a measure of their self-worth. Seems absolutely a stupid way to go through life.

Chicago, on the other hand, stands on its own. It is the giant of the Midwest, a powerful city of broad shoulders that dominates an entire region of the US. It's a place of quiet quality, extraordinary in every way without being in your face about it. Some of the most down-to-earth, good-natured people I have known reside here. It is not shadowed by any city.
Lol. You're too funny. I believe you are referring to Rocky. And you are you seriously stating that Philadelphian's live their lives relating to Rocky? Typical San Franciscan... you just really haven no idea what it means to live in a city like Philadelphia.

The movie Rocky is not about being able to take punishment and still remain standing. It's about being the underdog and rising to victory. It's about standing up and fighting for what you believe in. That's what Philadelphian's are. A city with heart, a city who will fight for what they believe in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgbCJ-AQCo

Old 11-01-2014, 11:32 PM

591 posts, read 782,263 times

Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
I can't imagine any objective judgement of a city of 1.5 million people would rely on the conduct of its boxers. Interesting.

Believe it or not, the fine people of Philadelphia are worthy of the same exact qualities with which you seem to glorify Chicagoans.

Let's try not to concern ourselves with inane stereotypes. Aren't we beyond that?

Last edited by Duderino; 11-02-2014 at 12:16 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
This thread keeps getting re-opened... Sadly much is the same olé? Yes I know the moderator would kill a new thread. I'm not sure why Philly and Chicago are that similar to not note the differences????
--Philly is largely Row home 1/2 doubles home style city.
--Chicago is not.
--Philly has many narrower streets with in neighborhoods, housing goes up to the sidewalk.
--Chicago in neighborhoods off the main streets has mostly front lawns through as Philly on narrow lots.
--Philly continued with types of Row homes well into the 20th century.
--Chicago move to Bungalow-style housing after ww1 especially ww2.
--Philly hilly away from the Delaware River
--Chicago predominately flat.
--Philly is now developing more skyscraper living around downtown
--Chicago had its Gold coast for a few decades and now even larger areas downtown.

Philly supporters boast proximity to DC and NYC and Jersey Shore.
Chicago can boast it is larger on a huge Lake with a very noteworthy shoreline along its whole border.
--debates on lake VS ocean really don't hold much water on the beaches alone Chicago beaches have impressed me even with areas of its shore with grasslands too. Of course Ocean shores are far more continuous and run wider. But within the city to live by, Chicago's get extra value on this alone
Philly can also claim River attributes more then perhaps the Chicago River? But the Lakefront Would win VS the Riverfront.

Both cities have assets noteworthy. What the cities have far more in common are bad points as most of our cities have.

UNIQUE IS WHAT BOTH CITIES HAVE AND CAN BOAST.

But to argue mine is bigger ,better or more of????? Just goes to frivolous arguing here and the other view it as pompous and a braggart.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:

Huh?????? WTH are you talking about? What fighters? Joe Frazier? Hopkins? Who? Why would you come up with some ish like this? I have one for you. Whenever I'm in San Francisco "Im ALWAY aware that LA isn't too far away."

See how that works?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
I never liked claiming other cities as a destination in city vs city, but NYC/Atlantic City is superior to Milwaukee/Indiana Dunes.

And I think metro Philly is more beautiful than Chicagoland. I like the green rolling hills, horse farms and colonial houses.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-18-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City