Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 09:02 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy.bm0r3 View Post
I can’t think of a difference other than the fact that Philadelphia is in closer proximity to other large cities (and geography of course). Both Philly and Chicago both are large cities with bustling downtowns, great museums , beautiful architecture, plenty of history, and notorious for their high crime in certain parts. Actually, I think it’s safe to say that Chicago has more high-end retail shopping than Philly.

Edit: Also, I’ve heard a lot of people (not on CD) criticize Philly for having little/nothing to do outside of Center City. Chicago does seem like the more fun city overall with more things to do and see.
I think those critics may have a point.

Chicago's most prestigious universities, for instance, are all well away from the Loop: the University of Chicago on the other side of Bronzeville on the South Side and Northwestern University in the North Shore suburb of Evanston.

Also down by UChicago is the city's science museum, the chief legacy left behind by the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition (though I think the fair also had something to do with the decision to locate the new University of Chicago near it).

And Chicago's gayborhood is on its north side, about 5-6 miles north of the Loop.

But there are some things you can do and see outside Center City Philadelphia. The nation's oldest zoo, for instance, is at the northeast corner of Mantua, about 2-3 miles northwest of City Hall and another mile or so beyond the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Both the nation's first botanical garden, Bartram's Garden, and one of the best urban wilds in the country, the Wissahickon Park, are well away from the city center. (Tourists are still reluctant to visit Bartram's Garden because of what you have to do to get to it, but once the Schuylkill River Trail's disjointed southern sections are connected, you will be able to bike or hike to it along the river from Center City.)

Chestnut Hill is an urban village worth visiting at the city's northwest corner, overlooking the upper end of the Wissahickon Park, and once there, you can check out the art museum whose mission is to tell the story of Philadelphia's own outstanding artists. A half mile or so further up Germantown Avenue is the Morris Arboretum, the official arboretum of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, run by the University of Pennsylvania (which is not a state university).

Philadelphia's gayborhood may be right in the heart of town, but it also has an outlying adult playground where Main Line college students go to party, Manayunk, a European hill town/former mill town that managed to spring up on the Schuylkill's east bank. You can bike or hike to it from Center City via the Schuylkill River Trail, with no hill-climbing required on the way there.

Even the much-maligned Northeast has some attractions, including a couple of historic houses and another stretch of urban wilds along the Pennypack Creek.

Philadelphia may pack much more into its center relative to its outlying districts than Chicago does, but I'd like to suggest that those who say there's nothing to do or see outside Center City simply haven't educated themselves enough about Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 12:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
But when the one main quality people seem to mention is that it is close to other cities, then that says something about the city, don't you think?
I don't think it's "one main quality people seem to mention." It is simply one of many qualities people mention. That it is the "main" positive quality of Philadelphia exists nowhere but in anti-Philadelphia C-D talking points.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:08 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
But when the one main quality people seem to mention is that it is close to other cities, then that says something about the city, don't you think?
Not so in Philadelphia's case. It really does have a very good argument for being the best large city in the country for proximity to the most top urban destinations (including itself). There's a synergy that you can't quite grasp unless you've lived in the Northeast Corridor.

But aside from that, as others have said, that's a quality that's mentioned typically only by those who are unfamiliar with the city. There are many other attractive attributes, at least to those who care/appreciate them.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:16 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I don't think it's "one main quality people seem to mention." It is simply one of many qualities people mention. That it is the "main" positive quality of Philadelphia exists nowhere but in anti-Philadelphia C-D talking points.
I saw the comment as one positive. If you are going to open a business hub, logistically Philadelphia would be attractive because you have access to other regional major markets. I would also rank some of Philadelphia's suburbs above Chicago's.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:51 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not so in Philadelphia's case. It really does have a very good argument for being the best large city in the country for proximity to the most top urban destinations (including itself). There's a synergy that you can't quite grasp unless you've lived in the Northeast Corridor.

But aside from that, as others have said, that's a quality that's mentioned typically only by those who are unfamiliar with the city. There are many other attractive attributes, at least to those who care/appreciate them.
So again, why isn't the same applied whenever mentioning NYC and DC's positive attributes?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:14 PM

1,803 posts, read 938,382 times
Now I have to say..... Chicago wins despite always less and the location is colder and more snow so how can it.
Also, being waaaaay between LA and NYC and it forever will be in that position of far and away from the best.
Just the opposite of having lots around it to boast... and close to and if you try.... it is moot to the Coastal elite.
Chicago has none of the below hopes, dreams or claims.... it cannot even claim in their club.
Certainly not part of the mighty East Coast Megalopolis of Further back Legacy Cities with the Historic past to boast.
It has to fully have its location location location as a negative. and always the damnable weather card ....

Chicago cannot argue over being ....

no hour to the Jersey Shore,
no hour to Mighty NYC to ague you lessen them.
No part of being in among the Coastal Elite as Chi cannot even try.
No playing little brother to a NYC when another city ... claims and wants it.
No hoping a migration from NYC will grow its city with gentrification and renewal.
No using over and over that DC is rude and obnoxious city and with snobbery to help their city.
Hates when another uses the term Gritty for them as if a insult each and every time.... but for NYC it is fine.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:21 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Now I have to say..... Chicago wins despite always less and the location is colder and more snow so how can it.
Also, being waaaaay between LA and NYC and it forever will be in that position of far and away from the best.
Just the opposite of having lots around it to boast... and close to and if you try.... it is moot to the Coastal elite.
Chicago has none of the below hopes, dreams or claims.... it cannot even claim in their club.
Certainly not part of the mighty East Coast Megalopolis of Further back Legacy Cities with the Historic past to boast.
It has to fully have its location location location as a negative. and always the damnable weather card ....

No hoping a migration from NYC will grow its city with gentrification and renewal.
No using over and over that DC is rude and obnoxious city and with snobbery to help their city.
Hates when another uses the term Gritty for them as if a insult each and every time.... but for NYC it is fine.
Oh will you be quiet. Noone in NYC thinks like this nor do they look down on Chicago.

Chicago is fine. Being from the snobbiest city on the east coast, Boston, we dont even think bad of chicago.... so I highly doubt nyc does too. Since i live near it.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 938,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Oh will you be quiet. Noone in NYC thinks like this nor do they look down on Chicago.

Chicago is fine. Being from the snobbiest city on the east coast, Boston, we dont even think bad of chicago.... so I highly doubt nyc does too. Since i live near it.
UMN I was referring to the topic city of Philadelphia and of course with the other city.

No need to be triggered. It is just a sum of comments I have read and spun see the luv involved.

Besides, the best way to get a thread active is bring Boston in and steal the show.

My whole point was basically, Philadelphia is the one with claims it is being lessened here. Not Chicago.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,893 times
Quote:
UMN I was referring to the topic city of Philadelphia and of course with the other city.

No need to be triggered. It is just a sum of comments I have read and spun see the luv involved.

Besides, the best way to get a thread active is bring Boston in and steal the show.

My whole point was basically, Philadelphia is the one with claims it is being lessened here. Not Chicago.
Philadelphia is being lessened. Proximity to other cities is hogwash and only applies to Philadelphia. I've yet to see on here or in real life anyone boost Chicago for being so close to Milwaukee and Indianapolis.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:21 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,365,340 times
Quote:

Chicago cannot argue over being ....

Not sure really what you are getting at here. Chicago is just a beautiful city that is the capital of the six state Midwest region, home to many Fortune 500 companies, 2 of the top 10 universities in the country, a top 10 ranked world class city, and a city that rightly stands on its own without thought to either coast. I will take a page from you and post this video showing just what a gem the city is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5WSrMKGkI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City