Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Most people confuse Belgium block with cobblestone.
Very little cobblestone exists in America. Philly has some cobble, but it's over in Society Hill. There's a little bit in Old City as well. Germantown Avenue has a lot of Belgium block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM

162 posts, read 149,724 times
I think a lot of people tend to forget what the first post was looking for; it's easy to do so because this thread is so old. But based off the original post, Chicago. It has the dense neighborhoods, transit, and more to offer than Philadelphia. Chicago has a much better waterfront than Philadelphia, and you have the Great Lakes right at your doorstep. Philly is still about an hour from the ocean, and if I am going to the ocean, it's not going to be New Jersey. I think Chicago just has a better big city atmosphere to in which Philadelphia in most respects can't touch.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 PM

53 posts, read 61,168 times
Phili and Chicago are 2 very great cities and I was born and raised in the Chicago area.
Phili and Chicago probably compare a little more equally than Chi and NYC, which is a difficult comparison to make due to enormous size differences. Phili is noticeably smaller than Chi but still compares better.
I love both but Chicago wins. Easily. Not necessarily by a "mile," but easily nonetheless.
Phili wins for:
1. Weather. Summers probably slightly hotter and a little more humid, but really not that bad compared to florida (where I have lived for a little while now). People from non-florida states think their summer heat is so bad and it's kinda funny. Winters are warmer but also get less snow and more rain, and you are unlikely to have consistent snow cover, which could be a plus or minus.
2. Proximity to other large cities and even to Europe.
3. History

Chicago:
Chicago is larger with a more scenic and amazing downtown with world-renowned architecture. There is more culture in chicago with a better classical music scene (phili has good music too but it's just less). Bands and orchestras and choirs and what have you. Chicago is noticeably cleaner and has slightly cooler summers and an at least somewhat more comprehensive transit. Price is comparable. Overall Chicago has a very very cool vibe and aesthetic that's kind of like "the city is rough but cool." Lots of great bars, amazing neighborhoods that are incredibly distinct and flavorful, more urban feeling to me as it's just larger and has bigger shoulders if you know what I mean. Less proximity to beautiful nature (altho surrounding forest preserves are nice, they're not as cool as mountains) but probably more scenic in the immediate area because a lake that is an inland sea beats out 2 rivers. It's kind of nice that we basically have at least a few weeks of snow cover in chicago also.

I can't wait to move back north though, which I'm doing in may. To the NYC area, not Chicago, but still thrilled.

Chicago's churches are phenomenal and the slavic influence shows in them and throughout the city

Last edited by ibarne242; 12-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something

Old 12-09-2017, 11:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Philly is still about an hour from the ocean, and if I am going to the ocean, it's not going to be New Jersey.

Hey Big Guy admit it you've never actually been to the beaches in South Jersey have you?

If you had you would have known its some of the most expensive real estate in the USA. Median home prices range from $ 700 K in the more modest beach towns to $1.5 M in Stone Harbor.

Now you know.

Stone Harbor NJ

http://coffeekatblog.files.wordpress...ach-houses.jpg
http://idxbyjoe.com/photos/capemay162953w.jpg

Cape May NJ
http://idxbyjoe.com/photos/capemay165077t.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/si...49d0afe8cb.jpg

Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times
Two cities I've never been to but really want see. Based on what I've heard, it seems like Philadelphia is really starting to give Chicago a run for its money in terms of being one of "the" urban big cities. A huge city like Chicago in a Midwestern setting is very intriguing though-I've been watching that show "Easy" on Netflix to get a little Chicago indoctrination.

I don't think it's fair to play the "look what other cities are nearby" card, but man imagine getting bored in Philly-90 minutes you're in NYC, then go back the same day. Very hard to exclude that feature.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,271,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Hey Big Guy admit it you've never actually been to the beaches in South Jersey have you?

If you had you would have known its some of the most expensive real estate in the USA. Median home prices range from $ 700 K in the more modest beach towns to $1.5 M in Stone Harbor.

Now you know.

Stone Harbor NJ

http://coffeekatblog.files.wordpress...ach-houses.jpg
http://idxbyjoe.com/photos/capemay162953w.jpg

Cape May NJ
http://idxbyjoe.com/photos/capemay165077t.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/si...49d0afe8cb.jpg
I still wouldn't ever go out of my way to go to New Jersey beaches, although they seem like a great local amenity if they happen to be near by.

The fact that beach homes are more expensive in an expensive state doesn't mean the beaches are objectively better than a less expensive beach home, it just means people from high wealth cities are willing to pay that much for a beach they can drive to from NY or Philly or whatever.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I still wouldn't ever go out of my way to go to New Jersey beaches, although they seem like a great local amenity if they happen to be near by.

The fact that beach homes are more expensive in an expensive state doesn't mean the beaches are objectively better than a less expensive beach home, it just means people from high wealth cities are willing to pay that much for a beach they can drive to from NY or Philly or whatever.
Yeah, it's certainly a nice convenience, and Jersey beaches can be great. Ocean Grove is a good example.

All in all, not my favorite beach experience though. Much prefer NC beach front to the south and MA beach front to the north. I genuinely just don't love the feel of the NJ coastal towns. I mean, Spring Lake is nice, but i prefer Nantucket or the Outer banks.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM

655 posts, read 2,184,405 times
Chicago dances circles around Philadelphia.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Chicago dances circles around Philadelphia.
Is Chicago shaking it for some of that Philly money?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:01 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
I am biased because I was born and raised in Philly, and the Philly burbs. I have lived all over the U.S. but when I had the chance a few years ago, I moved back to Philly. I think Philly has a wider range of educational opportunities, good restaurant culture, history, and the arts. Plus it has access to the shore areas, and the mountains (albeit little ones) for recreation. I don't value access to NYC, Balt, and DC that much, but some people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City