Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 AM

494 posts, read 805,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Exactly. Philly has the better suburbs with Atlantic City, Cape May, Wildwood, Cherry Hill, tons of other shore towns, etc

Chicago is the better city IMO
UMMM?? Philly native here.. Since when did ANY of the Jersey shore become suburbs of Philly? Cherry Hill i'll give you but the others which are OVER a hour away not so. Once you get passed say Glassboro/Berlin line you are basically out of the Philly burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
The deal with Chicago lake is... yeah it's not the ocean, but it's way, way more accessible than any city in the NE. Good way to end a relaxing day for many people is just walk 2-3 blocks and hang out at the lake, take a dip in the lake and walk back to their apartment.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post

My brother has lived in Honolulu for the last 12 years and when I first told him about people on here being snobs over ocean vs lake, he laughed it off. He lives near Diamondhead and still thinks that lake beaches along Chicago arent any less of an experience. Granted its use is only for half the year at most, but its damn impressive that a massive metropolis like Chicago has a lakefront like it does.

And don't forget, you can take the South Shore train from under Millenium Park to the Indiana Dunes, a nearly 25 mile long stretch of beach with gorgeous dunes, more whitecaps than in the city (cause it faces north, like Chicago's beaches are angled to catch the waves) more sand/sandbars because the sand is always being pushed south, like a bowl, which means the color of the water is even more turquoise than in the city. Add to this the stunning view of the skyline on the horizon, truly one of metropolitan America's most beautiful and awesome landscapes.

People from the Coasts who have never visited a Lake Michigan beach will, once giving it a try, never ever look at the Ocean beaches in quite the same way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Indi...h=618#imgdii=_

Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
UMMM?? Philly native here.. Since when did ANY of the Jersey shore become suburbs of Philly? Cherry Hill i'll give you but the others which are OVER a hour away not so. Once you get passed say Glassboro/Berlin line you are basically out of the Philly burbs.
That is simply not true. Philly draws commuters from far past Glassboro and Berlin.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM

494 posts, read 805,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That is simply not true. Philly draws commuters from far past Glassboro and Berlin.
Ofcourse there is always gonna be a few who do the long commutes ( one of my friends dad commuted from Ocean City "MD" to Wilmington for work ) but that surely did not make OC a burb of Wilmington. I have never heard the media or much of anyone else refer to those areas as Philly burbs either. Heck they have their own TV stations ( IE: Different media market ) down there in AC.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The deal with Chicago lake is... yeah it's not the ocean, but it's way, way more accessible than any city in the NE. Good way to end a relaxing day for many people is just walk 2-3 blocks and hang out at the lake, take a dip in the lake and walk back to their apartment.
That sounds so lovely-this week especially.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That sounds so lovely-this week especially.

You know in NYC, you can catch the train right to the beach! That's accessibility like a mother.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You know in NYC, you can catch the train right to the beach! That's accessibility like a mother.
You do realize you can also take a train from Center City to the beach as well (albeit a little longer ride)

Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yes, I used to take the 1 and A train to Rockaway Beach when I lived in The Bronx-It took about an hour and a half.

I'm actually going to visit my friend in Rockaway next weekend and it should only take about an hour longer than that LOL.
But, still it's very cool to take the subway to the beach. Philly has a train to AC that is about an hour and a half ride-wish they would expand it to points south though i.e. Ocean City, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 07-16-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Ofcourse there is always gonna be a few who do the long commutes ( one of my friends dad commuted from Ocean City "MD" to Wilmington for work ) but that surely did not make OC a burb of Wilmington. I have never heard the media or much of anyone else refer to those areas as Philly burbs either. Heck they have their own TV stations ( IE: Different media market ) down there in AC.
They are in the same media market and was recently added back to the Philly CSA. They only thing that's really different are the radio markets but don't forget that the Philly area is made up of multiple radio markets anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City