Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM

541 posts, read 912,734 times

Advertisements

Chicago city, Philly metro.

Thats my pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Chicago, for everything. City, suburb, exurb, small towns 90 miles away, everything.

Easy choice, always.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM

I pick Philly metro because I think I like the suburbs of Philly a bit more, although Chicago has some great suburbs too.

City wise, Chicago, on almost all accounts. Chicago has no answer for the really narrow streets or most of the history in Philly though.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM

364 posts, read 619,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
How have anyone "Boosted" Philadelphia... You guys are crazy, if this was SF vs. Chicago everyone would say tie, or either one, when SF is smaller then Philly, but when Philly is put against Chi, and we constantly proove y'all wrong, its called "boosting"... SMH
First, I'm from Jersey and love Philly - I'm just sick of rainrock boosting while throwing NY of all places under the bus.

Second, I fully can't understand what you are trying to say with this horrible English. And stop saying y'all because it sounds country, from the NE after all

Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM

364 posts, read 619,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Chicago city, Philly metro.

Thats my pick.
Exactly. Philly has the better suburbs with Atlantic City, Cape May, Wildwood, Cherry Hill, tons of other shore towns, etc

Chicago is the better city IMO

Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don't think anyone is criticizing your preference for ocean beaches, there are plenty of valid reasons why one would prefer oceans over lakes or vice versa. I think the main issue is with the idea that the Great Lakes don't have real beaches.

As someone who is from NY, lived in NJ, has family in Honolulu, and is looking to move to Chicago and have been numerous times, I can say that regarding the beaches along Chicago, when youre standing there on the beach on a hot day, you really dont give a flying **** whether youre at the ocean or a lake or whatever.

Personally, ive experienced all of them, and while Honolulu has the prettiest by far, I would probably put Chicago second because its freshwater and you dont have to worry about much in terms of sea creatures or other **** than the ocean. The lake also has a bluish hue to it that there are many parts of the Atlantic in NY/NJ that are dark and **** colored. I grew up going to the Jersey shore though, and the best beaches are in South Jersey.

My brother has lived in Honolulu for the last 12 years and when I first told him about people on here being snobs over ocean vs lake, he laughed it off. He lives near Diamondhead and still thinks that lake beaches along Chicago arent any less of an experience. Granted its use is only for half the year at most, but its damn impressive that a massive metropolis like Chicago has a lakefront like it does.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM

And for the record, these two cities are among my top 5 favorites.

Love them both to death.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
lol at picking the dog park as your "eye test"

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not a dumb post. You CAN'T compare a lake beach to an ocean beach, and other have backed this up and given examples like I'm about to give. Ocean breeze, salty air, salty water (truly has nice healing powers), more aquatic life, more water activities, waves, tides, currents, etc. You simply disagree with me, that doesn't make my post dumb.

You sound like a noisy old **** broad.

Sorry hunny, but when its 90 out, I dont care whether its ocean water or fresh water, as long as I can go swimming in it and tan on the beach.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not a dumb post. You CAN'T compare a lake beach to an ocean beach, and other have backed this up and given examples like I'm about to give. Ocean breeze, salty air, salty water (truly has nice healing powers), more aquatic life, more water activities, waves, tides, currents, etc. You simply disagree with me, that doesn't make my post dumb.
Agreed.

Chicagos lakefront is beautiful and has lots to do, but I agree that a lake, no matter how big is still not the same as the ocean.

I think the best way to say it is that, Chicago has the best WATERFRONT, but NOT the best beaches. Because frankly the beaches in Chicago are not really beaches. The entire lakefront of Chicago is a 100% artificial creation. It was all built on fill mostly from debris from the Chicago fire. And the sand was trucked in long ago, from the Indiana Dunes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City