Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,376,356 times

Advertisements

Hyde Park on Chicago's south side is imo one of Chicago's premier urban neighborhoods. And the near South and West sides have been booming for decades. There is more to Chicago than Downtown/North Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Exactly. Thank you! Why is this so hard for a few to understand?

Other then lake Michigan nothing to be honest. But i wont lie that is a huge thing to have IN THE CITY. And from what i have seen and heard Philly has the edge on more livable areas and thus areas with less crime in the city. I mean you basically have to write off the whole south side of Chicago and alot of the west side is not much better. Where as in Philly you have a slew of decent neighborhoods in center city, south Philly as well as part of west and ne Philly. Ofcourse i am alot more familar with Philly as well and thus may have missed something where Chicago is concerned? Talking about the city itself not suburbs/outlying areas.
There are definitely still many nice, livable, middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods on the South side. Writing off the whole south side is ridiculous!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
I dont see how philly is more livable than Chicago????? I 'd say they might be about the same.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Chicago's beaches just got better....

Chicago Launches Free Wi-Fi At Five City Beaches

Nice^.

One of the benefits of living in the Philly area is that Comcast(HQ-Philly) pretty much has free Wi-Fi everywhere. I had the I pad out down on the beach in Cape May today.

6 ft waves today.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
noice

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I dont see how philly is more livable than Chicago????? I 'd say they might be about the same.
Chicago is a great city but in Chicago can you step out your suburban home, walk to a train station and be in Amish Country, The ocean, midtown Manhattan, Dc within an hour? I appreciate that people enjoy living in the heartland but I need to be a quick drive to an ocean/coast.

And having the incredible Appalachian Mts a stones throw away is another gift. Even in Southern Cal you are kind of shoe horned between the ocean and a short 30- 40 miles to the east what looks to be a close resemblance to the landscape of Pluto. bleh. On the east coast you have this incredible coast and then you are blessed with an amazing lush green rolling landscape that goes 300-400 miles westward.

Battle of strictly cities? Chicago

What region offers you a better overall lifestyle? I would tend to lean toward the Philadelphia.

Wildwood NJ

Lancaster Pa

Last edited by rainrock; 07-27-2013 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:45 AM

Northern Indiana has a slightly larger population of Amish than Lancaster County

http://www.dispatch.com/content/grap...:300,h:326,t:1

And it honestly gets tiring explaining to coastal Americans that the Great Lakes are more or less a freshwater sea. Just to drive around Lake Michigan takes days. Lake Michigan is nearly THREE TIMES the size of New Jersey, but apparently that's not enough H2O for some. The eastern coast of Lake Michigan in Michigan is particularly stunning btw, as is the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Slee...w=1366&bih=618

Chicago has thousands of boat slips, dozens of beaches and a water-based culture that frankly, ranks right up there with places like Miami and San Diego

http://www.chicagosceneboatparty.com...Boat-count.jpg

I swear, sometimes reading this site makes me really wonder just how little so many coastal folks know about the interior of the nation.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-28-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Northern Indiana has a slightly larger population of Amish than Lancaster County

http://www.dispatch.com/content/grap...:300,h:326,t:1
And if you're really desperate for Amish country, you can take a train to Champaign or Mattoon and be right in the heart of Illinois Amish country. Although I fail to see how proximity to the Amish is a draw for either region.

Proximity to other cities like D.C., NYC, Milwaukee, Indianapolis? Sure. The Amish?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
And if you're really desperate for Amish country, you can take a train to Champaign or Mattoon and be right in the heart of Illinois Amish country. Although I fail to see how proximity to the Amish is a draw for either region.

Proximity to other cities like D.C., NYC, Milwaukee, Indianapolis? Sure. The Amish?
Not necessarily Amish but rather Amish country. No offense to Indiana or Illinois but there is a special enchantment about the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish County that can't be replicated elsewhere, no matter how hard you try. Think of SE Pa as the mothership of the country . The birthplace, the genesis of the country and its idealism which other regions aspire to be.

This country could have had its origins anywhere but the founding fathers chose the Phialdelphia region for good reason.The Amish chose SE Pennsylvania to originally settle. Lets not overlook these facts.

There is a certain nostalgic,peaceful enchantment to SE PA that you cant find in Ind or Chicago

Last edited by rainrock; 07-28-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Think of SE Pa as the mothership of the country . The birthplace, the genesis of the country and its idealism which other regions aspire to be.

There is a certain nostalgic,peaceful enchantment to SE PA that you cant find in Ind or Chicago

No offense, but I'd think it wise for you to not try and get a job with the Philadelphia tourism and convention bureau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City