Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
i love beanie lol
Yeah, I like that cut. "Let em know dem Philly boys is in the area..."

A lot of people think of Philly as this tough guy town, but most of us are really more or less fast-talking, flashy pretty boys. If you have a pair of "butter" Timbs stored away under your bed in a silk pillow case, you might be from Philadelphia. If you clean the bottom of your sneakers daily with a toothbrush, you might be from Philadelphia (or Harlem). If you have 10 or more Polos in your closet with color-coordinated hoodie and jacket sets, you might be from Philadelphia.

We're not so much about being "tough" as we are about looking out for Numero Uno. We wouldn't last long as Crips or Gangster's Disciples. LOL. As Omillio Sparks said, "the only color we ride for in Philly is green."

Peanut Live 215 Philly ( Boxing w/ Danny Swift WBC Light Weight Champion ) - YouTube

"Oh, that's what hard work do for ya, Danny? Well, this is what the .38 do for ya, Danny."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,638,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, I like that cut. "Let em know dem Philly boys is in the area..."

A lot of people think of Philly as this tough guy town, but most of us are really more or less fast-talking, flashy pretty boys. If you have a pair of "butter" Timbs stored away under your bed in a silk pillow case, you might be from Philadelphia. If you clean the bottom of your sneakers daily with a toothbrush, you might be from Philadelphia (or Harlem). If you have 10 or more Polos in your closet with color-coordinated hoodie and jacket sets, you might be from Philadelphia.

We're not so much about being "tough" as we are about looking out for Numero Uno. We wouldn't last long as Crips or Gangster's Disciples. LOL. As Omillio Sparks said, "the only color we ride for in Philly is green."

Peanut Live 215 Philly ( Boxing w/ Danny Swift WBC Light Weight Champion ) - YouTube

"Oh, that's what hard work do for ya, Danny? Well, this is what the .38 do for ya, Danny."
yea, i love dat line, and im not even from philly lol

Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM

266 posts, read 410,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ So basically, Philly's greatest asset is all the places you can go to that aren't Philly.

Hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement.
Location is everything. When your looking for a house/apartment location is the first thing you think of. Chicagos like a great house in a neighborhood with not much to do (the midwest) while Philadelphia is a great house in a neighborhood with a lot to do (the northeast).

I never said it was the greatest asset I just brought that up since it's often overlooked. If you would have read all of what I said you would see that I picked Philadelphia over Chicago within the city limits too. These threads don't have any strict guidlines to judge by so I think of it as "where would I rather live". When your comparing two houses to buy you dont just look at whats inside the walls you look where it is and whats the location.

I could list all the reasons why I like Philadelphia more then Chicago WITHIN the city limits butI would just be repeating things that have already been said in this thread. I was just trying to bring up another point that hadn't really been talked about.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,708,923 times
I like both... and people probably view Philadelphia as a tough guy town because if you come here and talk BS to anyone, you're going to get your ass kicked.

This video captures why Philadelphia is such a great place to live. It just pulls you in. The entire city is like one big family. The culture is extremely strong.

Vinnie Paz "Philly" - YouTube

Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,010,048 times
Quote:
That's a great point. I think that is one of the main reasons why in Philly you don't really see huge swarths of people belonging to one specific gang at the level you find in cities like Los Angeles or Chicago. I'm pretty sure a lot of the gangs from those cities would love to take over Philly but the city just has a different culture when it comes to that.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,638,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I like both... and people probably view Philadelphia as a tough guy town because if you come here and talk BS to anyone, you're going to get your ass kicked.

This video captures why Philadelphia is such a great place to live. It just pulls you in. The entire city is like one big family. The culture is extremely strong.

Vinnie Paz "Philly" - YouTube
dope
Vinnie Paz "Cheesesteaks" - YouTube

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Haha. Maybe that's one reason. But I think the "toughness" can get confused with harshness. The media is harsh. Fans are quick to boo. Local women are treacherous, scandalous and manipulative and are not to be trifled with by the uninitiated. In general, it's not a friendly town. So if you're accustomed to more openness and friendliness, then Philly may not be the town for you. It's not a place for the sensitive soul.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Haha. Maybe that's one reason. But I think the "toughness" can get confused with harshness. The media is harsh. Fans are quick to boo. Local women are treacherous, scandalous and manipulative and are not to be trifled with by the uninitiated. In general, it's not a friendly town. So if you're accustomed to more openness and friendliness, then Philly may not be the town for you. It's not a place for the sensitive soul.
I wouldn't exactly say we are harsh or mean in anyway... it can come off that way to the "uninitiated"... but we are just honest. We won't talk behind someones back, we will tell you how we feel to your face. If we think something sucks, we are going to speak up and say it sucks. Which is why our sports fans are so quick to boo, "we expect our athletes to get their uniforms dirty," and if we know their not trying, their going to get a hard time. Same goes for anything else... we're not mean, just don't have patience for BS

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM

For instance, look at shows like the Hills or Laguna Beach... perfect representation of California attitude. Drama, prissiness, thinking they're so much better than everyone else... and they'll talk behind each others back. That wouldn't fly in Philly... because someone would've got their ass kicked after two days and the drama would be solved. It doesn't matter what your salary is in Philadelphia, no one is better than anyone else.

Same goes for that Real Housewives nonsense... they held a "Real Housewives of the Main Line" casting call and not one person showed. That speaks volumes on Philadelphia. We just don't have time for the drama and the BS.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
For instance, look at shows like the Hills or Laguna Beach... perfect representation of California attitude. Drama, prissiness, thinking they're so much better than everyone else... and they'll talk behind each others back. That wouldn't fly in Philly... because someone would've got their ass kicked after two days and the drama would be solved. It doesn't matter what your salary is in Philadelphia, no one is better than anyone else.

Same goes for that Real Housewives nonsense... they held a "Real Housewives of the Main Line" casting call and not one person showed. That speaks volumes on Philadelphia. We just don't have time for the drama and the BS.
Well, first of all, I find Cali people to be very mellow and laid back. They are generally cool people to hang out with. Very much like Bajans in that sense.

Second, I think Philadelphians are far from playing it straight all the time.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City