Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM

690 posts, read 964,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
please

some fresh water lake aint a beach. U cant surf, skim board, smell the salt air, exfoliate that skin for a nice shiny summer glow from the salt water.

yall beaches are just try-hard. Sorry, chicago
plus its not like philly doesnt have lakes too lol even if smaller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
plus its not like philly doesnt have lakes too lol even if smaller
If you're talking about the city, then no...it doesn't really have lakes. It has the Delaware River and Schuykill River. The nearest lake may be near Levittown for example or a few smaller ones in the opposite direction, but they're all not very large. The closest thing to a sizable lake close to Philadelphia is the Delaware Bay or more towards Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay.

Speaking strictly about MSAs, Chicago has a lot more water area than Philadelphia, even if you were to take out the Lake Michigan parts that are counted.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
please

some fresh water lake aint a beach. U cant surf, skim board, smell the salt air, exfoliate that skin for a nice shiny summer glow from the salt water.

yall beaches are just try-hard. Sorry, chicago
While I am not sure what "yall beaches are just try-hard" means, there are definitely advantages/disadvantages to both types of beaches. My wife is from Minnesota, so we are on the lakes there every summer, and I just bought a house in Dewey Beach, DE and grew up going to the beaches in South Florida my entire childhood.

I find boating, jet skiing, fishing, swimming, waterskiing to all be better on a lake, while I prefer surfing and general ocean town vibe to be more appealing. I typically find things that actually have to do with the WATER to be better in a lake, while activities with a ocean as the backdrop to be better.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
As for the beach argument, you truly don't understand the difference unless you've grown up near an ocean. It's easy to say, what's the difference?… but there is. Oceans and lakes cannot compare IMO and in the opinion of most people I know who've grown up in NJ. Is Lake Michigan beautiful? Of course. But it's not the Atlantic. I visited Chicago for the first time when I was about 10 and I knew the difference between the Jersey Shore and those lake beaches and which I preferred: ocean beaches.

That being said, I still voted Chicago. Beautiful city, reminds me much more of NYC than Philly does which isn't a deal breaker but it's nice to be in a city that feels more like the one I am very familiar with. Also, Chicago was pretty clean which always surprises me because as I said I am used to New York. Wonderful architecture, great food, and I did enjoy the lake as well but much much prefer ocean beaches. I love Chicago and can't wait to go back.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As for the beach argument, you truly don't understand the difference unless you've grown up near an ocean. It's easy to say, what's the difference?… but there is. Oceans and lakes cannot compare IMO and in the opinion of most people I know who've grown up in NJ. Is Lake Michigan beautiful? Of course. But it's not the Atlantic. I visited Chicago for the first time when I was about 10 and I knew the difference between the Jersey Shore and those lake beaches and which I preferred: ocean beaches.
Yes, sure, an ocean beach is totally different than the type of beach we have in Chicago. However, the lake beach is still a beautiful beach. The argument for Chicago in this regard is that Chicago literally sits on the beach whereas Philadelphia doesn't. I can be at the beach from my place in a 3-4 minute walk. Where in Philadelphia can you say that? Chicago is much more accessible to its large waterfront and its beaches than Philadelphia.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yes, sure, an ocean beach is totally different than the type of beach we have in Chicago. However, the lake beach is still a beautiful beach. The argument for Chicago in this regard is that Chicago literally sits on the beach whereas Philadelphia doesn't. I can be at the beach from my place in a 3-4 minute walk. Where in Philadelphia can you say that? Chicago is much more accessible to its large waterfront and its beaches than Philadelphia.
Oh you definitely can't. But for those who prefer the ocean, Philly isn't too far. And a lot of people from the coasts wouldn't even consider a lake to be a "real beach" which is where I think you're running into problems here. And I won't lie, I do sort of have that mentality. But I do see your point and you are correct - PA isn't even on the ocean, PA people use NJ's beaches, as well as DE's, MD's, and VA's while Chicago does have a nice big lake. It's an argument no one will win because it's a matter of opinion and what you're used to.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh you definitely can't. But for those who prefer the ocean, Philly isn't too far. And a lot of people from the coasts wouldn't even consider a lake to be a "real beach" which is where I think you're running into problems here. And I won't lie, I do sort of have that mentality. But I do see your point and you are correct - PA isn't even on the ocean, PA people use NJ's beaches, as well as DE's, MD's, and VA's while Chicago does have a nice big lake. It's an argument no one will win because it's a matter of opinion and what you're used to.
The thing is it's not really a matter of opinion, beaches on lake michigan are still beaches, whether some person from Pennsylvania agrees or not.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Meh. The other thing about Chicago is that it's not on the prettier side of the lake. While the urban beaches are actually quite awesome, Michigan's "west coast" actually has some stunning beaches with varied coastal topography and more natural beauty. I.e. I don't see how someone could say somewhere like Sleeping Bear Dunes doesn't have "real beaches" just because it's on a lake.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The thing is it's not really a matter of opinion, beaches on lake michigan are still beaches, whether some person from Pennsylvania agrees or not.
Well, it is a matter of opinion. A lake beach and an ocean beach are not the same thing. Someone may prefer one over the other which is perfectly fine but if they were the same we wouldn't be having this conversation. You cannot compare a freshwater lake to an ocean, like it or not. You may like a lake better, but it's still not an ocean like an ocean's not a lake.

I'm not ragging on Chicago or people from Chicago and I'm certainly not choosing people from Philly or PA - I just happen to agree with them. I love Chicago, much more than Philly. And no matter what people from Philly say, the beaches they go to are not even in their state. Even though it's not an ocean, people from Chicago still have a very nice lake beach right there, something that people from Philly cannot ever say no matter how much they promote NJ's beaches.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Meh. The other thing about Chicago is that it's not on the prettier side of the lake. While the urban beaches are actually quite awesome, Michigan's "west coast" actually has some stunning beaches with varied coastal topography and more natural beauty. I.e. I don't see how someone could say somewhere like Sleeping Bear Dunes doesn't have "real beaches" just because it's on a lake.
Are you from Michigan, Chicago, or another great Lake state/city? If yes, that's how. There's your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City