Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Skyline
Raleigh, Nc 45 56.96%
Norfolk, Va 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,807 times

Advertisements

Yes it reminds me of Irving in suburban Dallas and Bloomington in suburban Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Suburban office park? lol good one.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,345,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Yes it reminds me of Irving in suburban Dallas and Bloomington in suburban Minneapolis.
Are you sure you looked at the right pictures? downtown norfolk has a very urban, dense downtown for a city it's size with a respectable skyline in my opinion..

Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Yes I know there are some condo like short buildings being developed, but so are the suburban office park type of towns I mentioned.

Quote:
Are you sure you looked at the right pictures?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Ha I'd like to see these suburban office parks with 12 buildings over 20 stories.. Please show me.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

I don't have specific numbers and seems nobody is interested in taking skyline photos of those cities, but I found these pictures online.

Irving, TX

http://www.oscarmail.net/dfwfreeways/aerial/sh114_at_sh161/30_114_in_background_looking_se_las_colinas_2005-04-11_ADJ_900.jpg

The wiki one is not complete and can serve as an addition to the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lascolinas1vc1.jpg

Bloomington, MN

Nobody is interested in taking pictures of Bloomington skyline. Here are some pictures of individual buildings.

https://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles29461.jpg

oslund.and.assoc. - projects - bloomington station park

Wikipedia has a skyline photo of Bloomington, but it is too far away. File:Bloomingtonskyline.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The best view I find is from highway 494, but I didn't take pictures.

Quote:
Ha I'd like to see these suburban office parks with 12 buildings over 20 stories.. Please show me.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Okay, I'm done with the conversation, It was simply a Norfolk Vs. Raleigh vote and you want to say those petite "skylines" are better than downtown norfolk on the waterfront.. Norfolk's is twice as big as Raleigh's and I'm not gonna comment on those pictures of Bloomington and Irvine.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Your first pic of Northfolk is a short petite skyline, only from a closer view than my pictures. The overall heights of the buildings can be seen to be very similar to my pictures. Your second pic is a closeup of 3 or 4 a little taller ones. None of them are very tall. Your third picture is again a short petite skyline. It is not as big as Raleigh. It is a suburban office park.

Edit: BTW, I am not trying to persuade you. I am just letting others see my response to your judgement.

Quote:
Okay, I'm done with the conversation, It was simply a Norfolk Vs. Raleigh vote and you want to say those petite "skylines" are better than downtown norfolk on the waterfront.. Norfolk's is twice as big as Raleigh's and I'm not gonna comment on those pictures of Bloomington and Irvine.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Your first pic of Northfolk is a short petite skyline, only from a closer view than my pictures. Your second pic is a closeup of 3 or 4 a little taller ones. None of them are very tall. Your third picture is again a short petite skyline. It is not as big as Raleigh. It is a suburban office park.

Your sure you looked at this picture:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/NORFOLK6-12-09081.jpg (broken link)
Vs.

Because your description of the pictures sounded like the three raleigh photos

Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not a Norfolk native, and I'm a skyline fan, so I care about Norfolk's growing skyline..Want to debate street level activity between the two? Your obviously just not a skyline fan.
I didn't say that I didn't like skylines. I just said that its not as important to me as street level activity. As someone who actually lives in the downtown of one of the two "subject" cities, that's what is important to me. I have visited many US cities with impressive skylines whose streetlife was pathetic in comparison to what one might expect from its skyline. I'd rather have the opposite experience and I'd rather have my city invest in the people activity first.

I cannot debate the two cities' activity because I haven't been to Norfolk in years. And, to me, it's not a competition anyway. I wish all American cities well as they grow their urban cores because I truly believe that where the future lies.

I would however love for this forum to share what each city is doing well so that we can each learn from each other toward a brighter future for all. Frankly, I think it's sort of silly to pit cities against each other. What use does it serve other than to help someone make a decision on where to move? But, most of these "polls" on City-Data don't seem to compare cities that are actually comparable. For instance, there is very little in common between Raleigh and Norfolk economically, etc. There aren't a lot of people who are trying to decide whether to move to Raleigh or Norfolk based on major industry/careers, etc. This doesn't mean that there aren't any who fit that description. Please don't take my comment as an absolute or an indication that one is better than the other. The two cities just don't compete economically. They have different industries and that's just fine. I felt the same way about the recent Raleigh vs. Indianapolis poll. I was like...WTF? A lot of these polls seem really random to me.

For all the energy that goes into the City-Data forum, I'd much rather read posts from people who are sharing what their city is doing to improve itself without the burden of competition. For instance, Raleigh continues to experience explosive growth in population and I'd love to hear stories from other cities who have/are experiencing the same thing. If we engage in that sort of dialogue here, we will all benefit. But, I just don't see a lot of appetite for that sort of discourse.

Here are some links to how Raleigh is enabling its present and preparing for its future.
http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication.../Big_Ideas.pdf
http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication...lan_Vision.pdf
First Friday, Downtown Raleigh, Art, Music, Food, & Fun
Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh
About :: District Logos :: Downtown Raleigh
About :: Ambassador Program :: Downtown Raleigh

Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Yeah, I feel the same way.. Honestly, I only get up here when I'm bored, and the only reason I compared Norfolk with Raleigh is because I got a pamphlet from my bank, " hampton roads bankshares" with a picture of the raleigh skyline on it.. I'm done with this thread lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City