Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Skyline
Raleigh, Nc 45 56.96%
Norfolk, Va 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,345,486 times

Advertisements

Welll, I was just using that as an example of an opinion that you can't say is wrong. I wasn't comparing the physical skylines of NY-Philly and Norfolk and Raleigh. Just the concept.

And I don't think Norfolk's skyline is great.. or even good really. We had a 35 floor condo tower under construction that has now failed due to the economy. It sucks.

But anyway, this is what I'm trying to say.

Both Norfolk and Raleigh have skylines in the same tier/category/level or whatever you wannt to call it. But Norfolk's is better than Raleigh's IMO. Raleigh has many 5-15 floor buildings with 2 or 3 talls that make it look a little coool, but Norfolk has many buildings over 20 floors that are all in the same height range making the skyline much denser,but it appears shorter.

I really don't care about this anymore, though. In MY OPINION, Norfolk's skyline is better, but you al take everything I say so literal and to the head. How would I get a ego boost from an online forum because someone says my city has a nicer skyline than Raleigh? That doesn't even make since to me. Plus our vibrancy/urbanity/street level/etc. will destroy Raleigh any day of the week. We have a mall with 1 million sq feet of retail, a waterfront marketplace and park, cruise ship terminal, plenty museums, AHL hockey and AAA baseball, light rail, etc. I'm really not worried about having a better skyline than Raleigh, I just thought it was a good comparison, but damnn!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Welll, I was just using that as an example of an opinion that you can't say is wrong. I wasn't comparing the physical skylines of NY-Philly and Norfolk and Raleigh. Just the concept.
Even that approach is flawed on so many levels, but OK.

Quote:
Both Norfolk and Raleigh have skylines in the same tier/category/level or whatever you wannt to call it. But Norfolk's is better than Raleigh's IMO. Raleigh has many 5-15 floor buildings with 2 or 3 talls that make it look a little coool, but Norfolk has many buildings over 20 floors that are all in the same height range making the skyline much denser,but it appears shorter.
I don't think it's "much" denser than Raleigh's but it may edge it out a little. These are some good ones I found for Norfolk.

http://www.newmediasystems.net/deskt...-waterside.jpg

http://gis.norfolk.gov/Map_Photo_Gal.../downtown2.jpg

Quote:
I really don't care about this anymore, though. In MY OPINION, Norfolk's skyline is better, but you al take everything I say so literal and to the head. How would I get a ego boost from an online forum because someone says my city has a nicer skyline than Raleigh? That doesn't even make since to me. Plus our vibrancy/urbanity/street level/etc. will destroy Raleigh any day of the week. We have a mall with 1 million sq feet of retail, a waterfront marketplace and park, cruise ship terminal, plenty museums, AHL hockey and AAA baseball, light rail, etc. I'm really not worried about having a better skyline than Raleigh, I just thought it was a good comparison, but damnn!
Well, just remember who started this thread and what the subject is: skylines.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 AM

415 posts, read 1,210,837 times
Most Def. Raleigh more urban vibe and nice skyline

Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
I think Norfolk has the edge on the urban vibe, while Raleigh has the edge when it comes to the skyline.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:28 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,353,772 times
www.raleighskyline.com

Those pics are missing a few major additions to the Raleigh skyline.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,345,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
I guarantee you've never been to Norfolk.

Look here, if you think Raleigh is more urban than Norfolk:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...like-city.html

Also Norfolk is more dense than Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, New Orleans, Richmond, Portland OR, etc.!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,576,158 times
I personally think Norfolk might actually have bit more character, especially with the waterfront.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
www.raleighskyline.com

Those pics are missing a few major additions to the Raleigh skyline.
Um, where are the "few major additions" because I did not see any in that link? Did they build the Edison or something because it looks like the same ole Raleigh to me.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Um, where are the "few major additions" because I did not see any in that link? Did they build the Edison or something because it looks like the same ole Raleigh to me.

Um. I thought you were only concerned with Charlotte?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Um. I thought you were only concerned with Charlotte?
Nah...whenever Raleigh is concerned, you can almost always count on some sort of negative comment. For someone whose typical posts would suggest that Raleigh isn't even in the same league as Charlotte, the almost obsessive pattern of posts dissing Raleigh could make one think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City