Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The city that boasts more impressive music offerings is:
Houston 47 50.00%
Boston 47 50.00%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Aside from the Dropkick Murphys, how big is their punk scene (ok, that's probably bigger than Houston's scene)?
Boston has one of the biggest punk scenes in the country. The Boston scene was instrumental in the formation of hardcore punk. Boston even spawned one of the biggest gangs in the country associated with punk (FSU).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,492,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This isn't about most popular, it's more about quality. Houston offers more variety. However, Boston has more famous bands and singers.
No it doesn't. What conclusion have we come to with big names for each city? Wasn't it ZZ Top and Aerosmith? And didn't they just co-headline a tour? Is anyone daft enough to suggest one is better or bigger than the other based on anything other than just personal preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The only thing that I can think of that Boston lacks, is hip hop. Other than that, Boston offers a wide variety of music.
How's the tejano, the zydeco, the blues and the jazz scene there? How about gospel? At least here you can find celtic bars playing traditional Irish tunes and paying Irish acts to perform on stage, but you're not even going to be able to find a bar with Clifton Chenier on the jukebox in Boston let alone a zydeco band on stage.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Boston has one of the biggest punk scenes in the country. The Boston scene was instrumental in the formation of hardcore punk. Boston even spawned one of the biggest gangs in the country associated with punk (FSU).
I totally concede punk. It's here but it's gone largely underground ever since the Proletariat shuttered their doors.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. What conclusion have we come to with big names for each city? Wasn't it ZZ Top and Aerosmith? And didn't they just co-headline a tour? Is anyone daft enough to suggest one is better or bigger than the other based on anything other than just personal preference?

How's the tejano, the zydeco, the blues and the jazz scene there? How about gospel? At least here you can find celtic bars playing traditional Irish tunes and paying Irish acts to perform on stage, but you're not even going to be able to find a bar with Clifton Chenier on the jukebox in Boston let alone a zydeco band on stage.
Don't know enough about zydeco or gospel, but you can hear Jazz, Blues and tejano there.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,119,128 times
Quote:
At least here you can find celtic bars playing traditional Irish tunes and paying Irish acts to perform on stage, but you're not even going to be able to find a bar with Clifton Chenier on the jukebox in Boston let alone a zydeco band on stage.
I find that hard to believe...

bostonzydeco.com

Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Don't know enough about zydeco or gospel, but you can hear Jazz, Blues and tejano there.
Something really makes me doubt anyone's playing Tejano onstage in Boston. And while I don't doubt jazz and blues acts pass through Boston, I'm pretty confident homegrown acts are pretty scarce. And how about country? Kenny Rogers (whose album The Gambler is the top selling country album of all time) and Clint Black are both from Houston. How many honkytonks are there among Boston's bar scene?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Honestly, I think Paul Wall and Mike Jones get a lot more heat than they deserve. While I certainly wouldn't name them when making the argument why Houston has the superior music scene, they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. Espescially Paul Wall. The People's Champ was a pretty solid album and he came hard on Get ya mind correct. Now i've never been into flip at all outside of a couple of his freestyles.
They get heat because lyrically they are garbage and has little to talk about. Their content is terrible and they use recycle verses. Especially Paul Wall. How many times do we have to hear his grill is similar to a disco ball. When you use lines like "I'm crawling similar to an ant, cause I'm low to the Earth," I won't take you seriously. And Mike Jones? LOL. Won't start with that one. Magno is definitely better than him. It's just sad that these was the two to rep Houston when there are multitudes of better rappers from Houston.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

bostonzydeco.com
Ok, so we can come to the conclusion that both cities may have a scene, but it's not really that big to make a huge dent into the culture of the music the city can provide.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

bostonzydeco.com
All passing through. Not a single homegrown act on that calendar.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How about Gangstarr (half of it at least)?
Funny thing is one half of Gangstarr is from Boston. The other half is from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City