Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The city that boasts more impressive music offerings is:
Houston 47 50.00%
Boston 47 50.00%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Again, pop relevance is fleeting, ephemeral; it has no lasting impact on any scene, any city nor any culture. How much has Greenbow, Alabama's (or wherever it is she's from) scene been impacted due to her cultural "relevance"?

Who says they are a pop act besides you? They are a rock band and have always been a rock band. And who says their 80s and 90s stuff has no lasting impact? Everybody remembers "love in an elevator", "janie's got a gun", "dude looks like a lady", "cryin", "crazy", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

793 posts, read 1,454,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Didnt know Boston had a music scene outside of Marky Mark and those Irish rapper guys who had that hit back in the early 90's. Houston is home to one of the greatest living rap legends (Scarface) and one of the first Hip Hop acts from the south is from Houston also (Geto Boys) along with a crap load of current artists. Even though I cant get with the whole "chopped & screwed" thing as it makes me sleepy
Guru from Gangstarr has had just as much of an influence on hip hop culture as Face and the Geto boys. All I know is that both Scarface and Guru are on the top 10 of all time list hip hop artists.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Didnt know Boston had a music scene outside of Marky Mark and those Irish rapper guys who had that hit back in the early 90's. Houston is home to one of the greatest living rap legends (Scarface) and one of the first Hip Hop acts from the south is from Houston also (Geto Boys) along with a crap load of current artists. Even though I cant get with the whole "chopped & screwed" thing as it makes me sleepy
Well as the theme has gone from basically anyone supporting Houston, you seem to only follow hip-hop, which isn't exactly what Boston is known for. It's a rock city.

I think the only bigtime rappers from Boston would be Guru (of Gangstarr) and Benzino.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
Seriously, what people around the country will know of these rap groups from Houston, compared to Aerosmith, Boston, James Taylor, etc? Go ask people around the country. i think the latter will be a LOT more recognized.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,492,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well as the theme has gone from basically anyone supporting Houston, you seem to only follow hip-hop, which isn't exactly what Boston is known for. It's a rock city.

I think the only bigtime rappers from Boston would be Guru (of Gangstarr) and Benzino.
Then let's get back to the original question. What's the "city that boasts more impressive music offerings"? Boston's offerings are pretty limited. Houston's scenes house an inarguably wider variety of musical genres to satisfy almost everyone's aural palette. You can't deny it. There's just far more variety here than Boston. We can argue the quality of the acts until the cows come home, but arguing variety is fruitless if you're pushin Boston.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,492,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Seriously, what people around the country will know of these rap groups from Houston, compared to Aerosmith, Boston, James Taylor, etc? Go ask people around the country. i think the latter will be a LOT more recognized.
Ahem...
Quote:
So what? That's the way rap operates. And, Aerosmith rose to prominance when record labels exercised an active interest in promoting their talent's long careers. Back then, a successful band was a long term investment with franchise possibilities. I don't know if you've noticed this little thing called the "internets," but it's largely been responsible for causing record companies to change the way they do business and promote their talent.
Let's stop comparing rappers to rockers.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
This isn't about most popular, it's more about quality. Houston offers more variety. However, Boston has more famous bands and singers.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times
The only thing that I can think of that Boston lacks, is hip hop. Other than that, Boston offers a wide variety of music.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
No one associates Houston with a wide variety. Most people think of rap when it comes to that city.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

505 posts, read 1,387,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This isn't about most popular, it's more about quality. Houston offers more variety. However, Boston has more famous bands and singers.
Now this I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City