Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM

132 posts, read 545,640 times

Advertisements

Water: Great Lakes > the Gulf Winner: Midwest (Though neither hold a candle to the Pacific)
Food: Soul food > Pirogies and sausage Winner: South
Weather: Four seasons > Oppressive heat, and rainy, muddy winters Winner: Midwest
Landscape: Forest > Corn fields Winner: South
Cities: Chicago>Atlanta>Minneapolis>Charlotte>Indianapolis >Birmingham>Detroit Winner: Draw
Politics: Iowa Caucasus > South Carolina Primary Winner: Midwest

I'd say it's pretty much a draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Water: Great Lakes > the Gulf Winner: Midwest (Though neither hold a candle to the Pacific)
Food: Soul food > Pirogies and sausage Winner: South
Weather: Four seasons > Oppressive heat, and rainy, muddy winters Winner: Midwest
Landscape: Forest > Corn fields Winner: South
Cities: Chicago>Atlanta>Minneapolis>Charlotte>Indianapolis >Birmingham>Detroit Winner: Draw
Politics: Iowa Caucasus > South Carolina Primary Winner: Midwest

I'd say it's pretty much a draw.
This is an overly simplistic comparison, and that's an understatement.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Midwest..... Chicago.
Hell yea Chicago. I like the south more as a region, but people generally spend the vast majority of their time within the same 50 mile radius. Chicago is the biggest and busiest city out of these two regions, so when it comes to living, it's going to be the Midwest for me because that's where Chicago is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But, does the midwest have bread more festive than cornbread?
No, but there's this sweet deep-fried dessert pastry called festival in Jamaica.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
It was down to the low 40s this week in south Louisiana. It does get very bitter down here from the humidity.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

No, but there's this sweet deep-fried dessert pastry called festival in Jamaica.
Which is Jamaican and also found in the south...

Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM

132 posts, read 545,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is an overly simplistic comparison, and that's an understatement.
I thought that an overly simplistic response would be appropriate for an overly general discussion.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Which is Jamaican and also found in the south...
Yes, when I said "in Jamaica", I also meant it was Jamaican. Very good.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What a ridiculous assumption!Florida is not the whole South!
What seasons are not represented throughout the South?

The actually have skiing in Virginia,West Virginia,Tennessee,North Carolina and Kentucky.

It was down to about 48 degrees last night in Atlanta.
Though snow is not common ,it does get very cold in Atlanta

making the "bean dream" a reality: January 2011
Really? The weather isn't even a comparison so why argue? I lived ten years in Atlanta and it was the blandest weather I've ever encountered. A warm Autumn, a warm Spring, a hot Summer and a cool winter. That represents the four seasons? A few places in the Mountains don't make up for 97% of the rest of the region.

Without even looking I would be willing to be that Atlanta doesn't have one month during the entire winter that averages below freezing. Heck, I bet Richmond barely touches below freezing and Virginia is about as far North as the South goes without counting West Virginia (which is a border state IMO). That is not cold and that's coming from someone that lives in one of the warmest Midwestern cities.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Really? The weather isn't even a comparison so why argue? I lived ten years in Atlanta and it was the blandest weather I've ever encountered. A warm Autumn, a warm Spring, a hot Summer and a cool winter. That represents the four seasons? A few places in the Mountains don't make up for 97% of the rest of the region.

Without even looking I would be willing to be that Atlanta doesn't have one month during the entire winter that averages below freezing. Heck, I bet Richmond barely touches below freezing and Virginia is about as far North as the South goes without counting West Virginia (which is a border state IMO). That is not cold and that's coming from someone that lives in one of the warmest Midwestern cities.
You have to realize that people up there thinks cold is at 30-40. Most of us think 50-60 is cold. To me, Atlanta is far from bland, the summers aren't as humid as they are here and the winters are cooler. Same as Little Rock and NWA. It get's below freezing here about 4 days a year, often with a windchill in the 30s and a few times it'll get down to the 20s. And this is south Louisiana. Bland would be the coastal plains. Other than that, the south gets freezes and some snow every year. I think it snows in Shreveport every year, always makes the news here whenever it snows in a Louisiana city and Shreveport is often the city of envy during winter to get to experience snowfall.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Midwest..the only place in the southern region I would live is Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City