Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM

320 posts, read 578,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The crime rate in Little Rock is very high, it's often listed as one of the more dangerous cities in the country. Little Rock isn't that large of a city, right around 200,000 which is a lot smaller than most of the major metros in the midwest, so it's natural that most of the people in the Little Rock area will be suburban dwellers.

I wouldn't take the walkability concept of southern cities away either. Atlanta is very pedestrian friendly, they even have a subway system there, New Orleans, Dallas, and most Floridian cities emphasize these points.
Little Rock is my native city. Do you think Little Rock is more dangerous than Chicago or Detroit? Keep in mind that Little Rock is still a country a$$ city.

Last edited by SawBoi; 11-06-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Little Rock is my native city. Do you think Little Rock is more dangerous than Chicago or Detroit? Keep in mind that Little Rock is still a country a$$ city.
Not the best comparison since both of those cities are 10 times the size of Little Rock. However, Little Rock, for a smallish city, has some fairly dangerous sections. I think it's okay, but it's a city like Memphis, New Orleans, and Chicago, has plenty of decent sections, but also a lot of dangerous hoods.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Not the best comparison since both of those cities are 10 times the size of Little Rock. However, Little Rock, for a smallish city, has some fairly dangerous sections. I think it's okay, but it's a city like Memphis, New Orleans, and Chicago, has plenty of decent sections, but also a lot of dangerous hoods.
I know Little Rock is smaller. That's why I compared them. I think it's funny when people say Little Rock is dangerous. I guess I see it different cause that's my kin folk.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
After spending time in the South, one of the biggest things I miss is the farm scenery that I'm used to up north. Big red barns, white farmhouses, corn, wheat, soybeans, flat to rolling terrain with some openness to it. I'm sure this makes me abnormal, but oh well. I realize there is farming in the South but it doesn't look quite the same. I do enjoy the dense forests of the South, though, for a change of scenery (though I can also get forest scenery in the northern part of my state). I just find myself missing the Midwestern farm country after a week or so.

I'm sure a lot of urban dwellers from the Midwest don't have the same emotional attachment that I do. In fact, I'm positive that the majority does not view it the way I do.
How does the farm scenery in the south look like instead?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
The crime rate in Little Rock is very high, it's often listed as one of the more dangerous cities in the country. Little Rock isn't that large of a city, right around 200,000 which is a lot smaller than most of the major metros in the midwest, so it's natural that most of the people in the Little Rock area will be suburban dwellers.

I wouldn't take the walkability concept of southern cities away either. Atlanta is very pedestrian friendly, they even have a subway system there, New Orleans, Dallas, and most Floridian cities emphasize these points.
Little Rock is a metro closer to 800k. City pop is useless and Little Rock isn't that dangerous of a city to me. I spent time in projects in North Little Rock, and other parts of the city, never felt unsafe.
Quote:
It's not a country city. It's just smaller. I don't think it's dangerous, didn't feel bad at all to me. I only saw one police car my two visits.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Little Rock is a metro closer to 800k. City pop is useless and Little Rock isn't that dangerous of a city to me. I spent time in projects in North Little Rock, and other parts of the city, never felt unsafe.

It's not a country city. It's just smaller. I don't think it's dangerous, didn't feel bad at all to me. I only saw one police car my two visits.
My Auntie owned hogs and chickens and she stayed in McAlmont on the North side of Little Rock. Compared to Chicago and Detroit it is country.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
My Auntie owned hogs and chickens and she stayed in McAlmont on the North side of Little Rock. Compared to Chicago and Detroit it is country.
McAlmont wouldn't be Little Rock, would it?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
McAlmont wouldn't be Little Rock, would it?
It's closer than you think. Go past McCain Mall on McCain Blvd. which will turn into East McCain Blvd and you'll be in McAlmont.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Midwest. I've only been down south a handful of times, mostly in the Houston, and the Little Rock area to visit my ex., and I haven't really had many pleasant experiences. For one, the crime rate seems to be higher (maybe it isn't, but that was my perception), the urban landscape seems much more plighted by surface parking lots, everyone has a "live in the suburbs, drive to work" mentality, racial segregation seems to be a bigger issue, the weather is uncomfortably hot most of the year, and there is no snow in the winter (no snow is a deal breaker for me). I can't deny that the extra space was relieving from all the congestion of the city, but it got tired really quickly when I realized I had to drive my car EVERYWHERE, including just to grab a coffee. In comparison, I normally go for periods of a month or longer without ever seeing my car.

Edit: To be entirely fair, some of my comparison does include urban vs. suburban, but I view that to be a valid differentiator. The midwest, to me, is more urban and walking friendly than the south. I'm sure a large part of that has to do with people's mentality, but I can't discredit the role weather plays. Most people (especially dressed up professionals) would be more willing to get on a cold bus than a hot one, where they'll sweat most of the journey. This is besides the fact that it is much more expensive to cool public spaces than it is to heat them; thus, most (all?) mass transit in the midwest is heated, while a lot of (most?) mass transit in the south is not cooled.
Yeah places like Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska are wayy more urban than Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina. There is no diversity in the South, and blacks still pick cotton and eat cornbread for supper.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yeah places like Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska are wayy more urban than Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina. There is no diversity in the South, and blacks still pick cotton and eat cornbread for supper.
So true -- most people who criticize the South probably have never been there and have no idea what it's really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City