Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,536 times

Advertisements

No, lakal, you are wrong. American Community Surveys are not reliable. Post official Census numbers, not these practice sampling exercises.

American Community Surveys are test cases for the upcoming 2010 Census, and cannot be used for apples-to-apples comparisons. They sample less than 2% of a given population.

The only reliable intercensal estimate is by Housing and Vacancy Survey, which I already posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
And my numbers are not exaggerated at all...the 2000 total for the city of Chicago was 113,055.
First thing, that is a tiny number. And you are claiming Chicago has a large Puerto Rican population! 100,000 way back ten years ago!

Second, Chicago's PR population has been plummeting in population (compare with 1990 numbers).

They used to live in Wicker Park-Bucktown, but Trixie and Chad forced them all to move to Florida. This is why Orlando has a much bigger Puerto Rican population than Chicago. And Humbolt Park is now Mexican and black.

How many Puerto Ricans live in Wicker Park? Almost none. Humbolt Park? Not too many. I only hear Mexican Spanish.

So even if your 2000 number is correct, then Chicago will probably have no more than 70,000 or so Puerto Ricans in 2010.

So I guess it comes down to what people think is a "large" population.

You claim 70,000 Puerto Ricans in four Midwestern states is a "large" population, and should be considered equivalent to 10 times larger populations in other cities (to say nothing of four states combined).

I say the giant Puerto Rican populations in the Northeastern states (millions) and in Florida (hundreds of thousands) is on a whole other level than the 70,000 PRs in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
No, lakal, you are wrong. American Community Surveys are not reliable.

They are test cases for the upcoming 2010 Census, and cannot be used for apples-to-apples comparisons. They sample less than 2% of a given population.

The only reliable intercensal estimate is by Housing and Vacancy Survey, which I already posted.

First thing, that is a tiny number. And you are claiming Chicago has a large Puerto Rican population! 100,000 way back ten years ago!

Second, Chicago's PR population has been plummeting in population (compare with 1990 numbers).

They used to live in Wicker Park-Bucktown, but Trixie and Chad forced them all to move to Florida. This is why Orlando has a much bigger Puerto Rican population than Chicago. And Humbolt Park is now Mexican and black.

How many Puerto Ricans live in Wicker Park? Almost none. Humbolt Park? Not too many. I only hear Mexican Spanish.

So even if your 2000 number is correct, then Chicago will probably have no more than 70,000 or so Puerto Ricans in 2010.

So I guess it comes down to what people think is a "large" population.

You claim 70,000 Puerto Ricans in four Midwestern states is a "large" population, and should be considered equivalent to 10 times larger populations in other cities (to say nothing of four states combined).

I say the giant Puerto Rican populations in the Northeastern states (millions) and in Florida (hundreds of thousands) is on a whole other level than the 70,000 PRs in the Midwest.

Even when you're proven wrong you're still on some next s%%%.

All speculation and blatant falsehoods. Try again. There is no other city (read:city limits)that has that many people from Puerto Rico, except for NYC. City numbers dropped slightly, and MSA numbers grew in that period, so try again.

All the people at the annual Puerto rican day parade must just be perpetrating!! Since there are almost no Puerto Ricans in the Chi! The gigantic flag and entrance to the Paseo Boricua on Division Street must just be a secret front for Mexicans as well.

lmao, stop. It becomes ever more evident that you've spent painfully little time in Chicago.

70,000 PR's in the Midwest. mmhmm. There are that many in Ohio alone.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Maybe because I know Chicago, and know that homers like you exaggerate without end!
homer? nah i just like to say whats tru u know what i mean
exaggerator? nah thats you buddy

bye now

-mas23-

Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 AM

787 posts, read 1,697,113 times

Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Now I remember why I took a break from this site in the first place. Controversial threads like this...

Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
new york has everything that chiago can offer plus alot more:
better weather ( by a lil)
better beaches on an actual ocean
bigger downtown lowe maanhattan is nearly as big as downtown chicago

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Fresh from New York and ready to jump back on the plane for a return (hopefully permanent)....first off Id like to start this post by saying that I am a lifelong proud Chicagoan. Now let me proceed.

Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is inferior to the Chicago hotdog but the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- Chicago is the definite winner. New York has an old 80's feel where as Chi Town is on the forefront of affordable upscale living. But who cares in New York who in the hell wants to stay home.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Mayor Daley's Cash Cow we know as Chicago.
Proud Chicagoan yet you go onto bash the city...Troll.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM

103 posts, read 260,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black woman who is from New York, but moving to Chicago. Jeesh, you black men make me sick. You complain about racism and racist attitudes, yet you diss black women in a public thread. You can't have it both ways.
I am a black man not from chicago or new york from kansas city, and I agree with what you just said. Alot of us black guy talk bout racisim, but do it ourselves actuall not juast the males but females to. Now for the record I am about to marry a black woman, but I feel if a black guy has a wife that is not black the first thing a sista will say is he is a seel out. Now not true I feel as long as youre in love your in love. Now I do agree that some black men AND black women think that cause they marry outside there race the other race is superior BUT I believe you love who you love a woman is a woman in my eyes. Sorry for getting off topic lol , but I have been to chicago havent been to new york yet plan to visit my family out there soon. I love the chicago atmosphere, but the new yorks will be great too.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

203 posts, read 689,409 times
Chicago is like that one ugly kid at school that goes home and his mom tells him hes adorable and cute. But when he goes back to school hes still the ogre he was the day before.

School being the two coasts. And the midwestern states(iowa,indiana,michigan,etc) are the mom, All the midwesterners look up to Chiago and think it is something cool and happeneing. But when it goes up against the classmates like NY L.A SF DC, etc cities on the coasts..it gets laughed out of town.

Its an overgrown midwestern cornfield on a lake with a bunch of caucasians.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,536 times
^
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City