Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,193,560 times

Advertisements

Finally, a honest white person that GET'S IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
I am white and when I first moved to Chicago I befriended couple of black folks at works. I was really stunned where I heard stories of what was going on in Chicago. Then I discovered how segregated MOST of Chicago nabs are with different bars and different venues frequented by people of different color of skin. It's like going back in time yet white Chicagoans do not see anything wrong with that and even considere themselve non-racist, as long of course as there are no black people moving to their own neighborhood. Hidden racims of Chicago is simply stunning considering this is XXI century...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Yeah thats what I thought, I always heard dudes from Chicago call their city the 'Go, even heard Chi-City a few times. But I never heard someone from Chicago call Chicago Chi-Town. Its kind of like in Atlanta, only people from outside Atlanta call it ATL, we just call it "the city" or the "A".
Usually when someone says ATL, its a dead give away that they are either from out of town, or a suburban dude trying to act hip
Oh, really...

I have met and seen plenty of Atlantans refer to their own city as "ATL"...and they definitely were not from no suburbs.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. Manhattan is very white, IMO. I've seen a fair number of blacks in Midtown and on Canal, and of course you see them Uptown, but other than that, not really, IMO. But I don't live there, so.
This isn't really true. Manhattan is plenty diverse, especially in relation to Chicago, which is the topic.

If you are in Lincoln Park, Chicago, it is 100% white people from the Midwest. There is no Manhattan neighborhood that is so non-diverse.

And it isn't as simple as black and white. Latinos and Asians are almost 50% of NYC.

There are far fewer Asians in Chicago, and the Chicago Latinos are overwhelmingly Mexican.

In NYC, there are no dominant Latino groups, with large contingents from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Ecuador. But no Latino group even has 25% of the overall NYC Latino population.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
If you are in Lincoln Park, Chicago, it is 100% white people from the Midwest. There is no Manhattan neighborhood that is so non-diverse.
This is blatantly a false statement. Lincoln Park does have a high ratio of whites in the neighborhood, but it is not 100%. It is actually 84.5% white.
Lincoln Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a Manhattan neighborhood that is MORE non-diverse. The Upper East Side is a whopping 88.25% white.
Upper East Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The truth is, NYC is more integrated than Chicago. You do not have to lie to prove it though.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
This isn't really true. Manhattan is plenty diverse, especially in relation to Chicago, which is the topic.

And it isn't as simple as black and white. Latinos and Asians are almost 50% of NYC.

There are far fewer Asians in Chicago, and the Chicago Latinos are overwhelmingly Mexican.

In NYC, there are no dominant Latino groups, with large contingents from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Ecuador. But no Latino group even has 25% of the overall NYC Latino population.
Actual demographics:

Lincoln Park
White 84.5%
Black 5.17%
Hispanic 5.06%
Asian 3.61%
Other 1.67%

Upper East Side
88.25% White,
6.14% Asian,
0.04% Pacific Islander,
2.34% African American,
0.09% Native American,
1.39% from other races,
1.74% from two or more races.
5.62% of the population were Hispanic of any race.

Where to start?

Puerto Ricans are over 33% of the New York latino population, and Dominicans are over 25%...so you're lying about that.

Actually Lincoln Park has a lot of Puerto Ricans right next door...seeing as Chicago has the second-highest Puerto Rican population of any city in the U.S (after NYC, of course)...and they predominantly live on the Northwest side.

If you knew anything about Chicago, you'd know that there are heavily Mexican neighborhoods such as Pilsen and Back of the Yards and the Southeast; Heavily Puerto Rican neighborhoods such as Humboldt Park and Logan Square; and South American neighborhoods like Rogers park.

Your ignorance is disturbing.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
This is blatantly a false statement. Lincoln Park does have a high ratio of whites in the neighborhood, but it is not 100%. It is actually 84.5% white.
Lincoln Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a Manhattan neighborhood that is MORE non-diverse. The Upper East Side is a whopping 88.25% white.
Upper East Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The truth is, NYC is more integrated than Chicago. You do not have to lie to prove it though.

lmao, I pulled the same stats!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM

64 posts, read 162,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I can see your excitement and love for New York.
But what's up with the bashing? Your saying that NY is very open to people of all races and culture and that you love it, but your the total opposite of all that in a way.. Your those kinds of people who obsess about race rather than look at a person as a whole which is what the average NYer would do.
And I don't know about you, but the Black woman in Chicago are gorgeous I always thought Chicago had the most beautiful black woman in the north.

Your judging everything according to race.
Once you get over that, you'd be good in NYC.

This is why I'm glad I went to public school in one of the most diverse cities in the NYC metro... I don't even think of race when i'm with or talking to someone. I mean yeah, i notice what color they are, but i don't think about it.

I bet your those kinds of people who think almost everything is racist when in reality, it's not... I hate that crap.

Nah actually I dont think in terms of race, but most Chicagoans do...therefore I am speaking to them in their language. Im pretty hip to how NY'ers see things and thats why Im excited about going back. Its refreshing.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 162,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Right. Chicagoans who would not admit their city is as the most segregated big city in the US. even though their own newpapers does:

Chicago Tribune:

"Chicago, America’s most segregated big city"

Racial lines were drawn over the city’s history and remain entrenched by people’s choice, economics

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune

Exactly!!!I have no clue why but Chicagoans live in denial. I guess as long as they can exist in their little Lincoln Park condos where everything is peachy the segregation doesnt really matter.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Nah actually I dont think in terms of race, but most Chicagoans do...therefore I am speaking to them in their language. Im pretty hip to how NY'ers see things and thats why Im excited about going back. Its refreshing.

New York is amazing, but don't let the wool be pulled over your eyes as to how things work. Most of my college friends live or are from New York; they will tell you the real deal.

I think almost everyone in America sees things based on race, or disguised as not race, but "class": (whether they want to admit or not, is their own thing).

We haven't reached the utopic racial harmony stage in this country yet...if we ever will.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black woman who is from New York, but moving to Chicago. Jeesh, you black men make me sick. You complain about racism and racist attitudes, yet you diss black women in a public thread. You can't have it both ways.
Where did he do that? He made a distinction as to what kind of Black women, not Black women in general.

Anyway, this is just one dude's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City