Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
More bogus stats LMAO!!! Chicago does not have more PRicans than Miami, Miami is extremely close in distance to PRico, Chicago does not have more PRicans than New York City....I seen more Puerto Ricans in a 20 minute ride through Harlem alone than I have ever seen in a whole city tour throughout Chicago. PLEASE LEAVE THE BULL**** STATS ALONE. Use your common sense for once....to even believe Chicago has the 2nd largest Rican community lets me know you have absolutely no common sense.

Stats alone it is. I said CITY...Metro areas will of course, differ. But Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population of any U.S. city. It does not have the second highest state population; it's proportion of Puerto ricans is equal to florida (but florida has a higher overall state population).

The Young Lords, the social activist group and later gang most synonymous with Puerto Ricans, was created in Chicago. Since Puerto Ricans have come to the U.S, there has always been a large population in Chicago.

Why is the only Puerto rican congressman not from New York from Chicago?

Puerto Ricans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,193,560 times
Mr. Furley,

I think what a lot of whites think is, if they admit racism exists, it makes THEM bad. It does not. All it says is, you are admitting this fact. Nothing more than that.

I notice they love pulling those darn stats out, always have to be right. Gotta luv'em. I don't need stats to see!

To the White Folks:It's ok to admit racism exists. It does not make you a bad person. Don't worry no one will "beat you down" for telling the truth. Denial, well that's a whole different forum.

Making up excuses is what keeps us all stuck in slow motion. Chicago is a racially divided city. What's so hard about saying that. Remember, it does not make you a bad person for admitting that.

I'll go out on a limb and say Chicago is self segregated. People do it on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
LMAO it amazes me how white people from Chicago have a defensive answer for everything, they go as far as pulling out stats (unreliable ones at that). I mean just face it Chicago is a racist segregated ****in hell hole that treats its blacks residents like 4th class citizens as if this is South Africa apartheid or something. Just admit it, I know its shameful but hey its reality.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
You are correct that none of these areas have tons of white people, but the point is that you will see white people in all these places

In contrast, you won't on 95th Street on the South Side of Chicago.

Chicago has 100% black Census tracts. Most of the neighborhoods you mentioned in Brooklyn are about 60% black, with large Latino populations. In the case of Bed Stuy, the white population has tripled in recent years, and is quite substantial.

In the case of the Bronx, there is only one majority black neighborhood, in the Northeast Bronx.

And, again, diversity is NOT just black-white. It is many other things. And if you look at NYC blacks, they are from all over the place.

Most blacks in Brooklyn are not African American; they are West Indian. Take a walk in Flatbush or Crown Heights. Almost everyone is from the West Indies, with some West Africans and some African Americans.

Maybe to you it isn't diverse because you see mostly black folks, but people are from Jamaica, Haiti, Barbados, Trinidad, Aruba, and many other places. NYC also has a much higher proportion of residents from West Africa.

In contrast, Chicago blacks are overwhelmingly African Americans from the South. Not very diverse, and not comparable at all. If I walk down 95th Street in the South Side of Chicago, I cannot find a roti stand, jerk chicken, coco bread, etc. In almost any NYC black neighborhood, you will find these things.

LMAO!!!
WOW!

I agree nyc's black population is more diverse than any in the nation but this is sooo bogus and wack . 95th and 87th street has a whole bunch of african and carribean stores. even 83rd street has and uncle joe's jerk chicken. And before you talk more nonsense, have you even been to the north side, som many africans there it aint even funny. You got all these ladie walkin around with kente cloth and all that jazz. I wish you guys would actually come to south chicago( neighborhood). I use to live there, and most of the black people were african american but honestly i'd say at least 1/4 were from oversees or had roots in the carribean( mostly hati and belize) or west africa. Hence ther reason why there were so many carribean and african stores on commercial. And yes they do sell coco bread.
Besides, whats wrong with having alot of african americans anyways hmm.....

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 08-29-2009 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Mr. Furley,

I think what a lot of whites think is, if they admit racism exists, it makes THEM bad. It does not. All it says is, you are admitting this fact. Nothing more than that.

I notice they love pulling those darn stats. I don't need stats to see!

To the White Folks:It's ok to admit racism exists. It does not make you a bad person. Don't worry no one will "beat you down" for telling the truth. Denial, well that's a whole different forum.

Making up excuses is what keeps us all stuck in slow motion. Chicago is a racially divided city. What's so hard about saying that. Remember, it does not make you a bad person.

Definitely, it is.

Which U.S. city isn't though?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Mr. Furley,

I notice they love pulling those darn stats out, always have to be right. Gotta luv'em. I don't need stats to see!

Making up excuses is what keeps us all stuck in slow motion. Chicago is a racially divided city. What's so hard about saying that. Remember, it does not make you a bad person.

look, as a black person ill say this, chicago is diverse, thats a fact, but it IS very segregated. Hence the reason why Mr. Furley hasnt seen any puerto ricans

Old 08-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
LMAO!!! LMAFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!

I agree nyc's black population is more diverse than any in the nation but this is sooo bogus and wack . 95th and 87th street has a whole bunch of african and carribean stores. even 83rd street has and uncle joe's jerk chicken. And before you talk more nonsense, have you even been to the north side, som many africans there it aint even funny. You got all these ladie walkin around with kente cloth and all that jazz. I wish you guys would actually come to south chicago( neighborhood). I use to live there, and most of the black people were african american but honestly i'd say at least 1/4 were from oversees or had roots in the carribean( mostly hati and belize) or west africa. Hence ther reason why there were so many carribean and african stores on commercial. And yes they do sell coco bread.
Besides, whats wrong with having alot of african americans anyways hmm.....

-mas23-

lol. I'm sure they'll try to refute this one too.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Your point is? We're are not talking about any U.S. city. This is about Chicago.

Your response reminds of threads in which the topic is about blacks committing crimes and someone says......"whites do it too". What does that have to do with what we are SPECIFICALLY talk about? Nothing. It's a cop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Definitely, it is.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 PM

One way or another they are. Be it by race or income or as some like to say "class".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Definitely, it is.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Your point is? We're are not talking about any U.S. city. This is about Chicago.

Your response reminds of threads in which the topic is about blacks committing crimes and someone says......"whites do it too". What does that have to do with what we are SPECIFICALLY talk about? Nothing. It's a cop out.

Cool. Specifically speaking, are you trying to tell me that New York isn't racially divided?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,865 times
Quote:
Mr. Furley,

Making up excuses is what keeps us all stuck in slow motion. Chicago is a racially divided city. What's so hard about saying that. Remember, it does not make you a bad person for admitting that.

I'll go out on a limb and say Chicago is self segregated. People do it on their own.

EVERYBODY in this conversation has openly said Chicago IS segregated. Who are you addressing here? The reason statistics are brought out here is to correct completely asinine comments. If you say a neighborhood is 100% white, guess what, you can prove that is false with statistics.

Nobody is arguing that Chicago isn't segregated. What people are arguing are some of the crazy, illogical statements people are making about Chicago and New York.

Perhaps you and Furley aren't too well versed into how to make a convincing argument and how to debate. If I made the statement that said "All Blacks in Harlem commit robbery, because I witnessed a group of Blacks rob someone at gunpoint." How would you go about disputing a clearly irrational anecdotal statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City