Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM

497 posts, read 284,966 times

Advertisements

The worst part of your post is your opinion on housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 787 times
Lightbulb Being Real

Chicago, looks like a vacation spa compared to NewYork,
c”mon

Old 08-13-2021, 11:30 AM

498 posts, read 354,272 times
racial segregation is definitely more of a thing in Chicago than in NY (not saying NY doesn't have the problem, but much better than Chi)

Old 08-13-2021, 02:03 PM

553 posts, read 410,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerful flowers View Post
Chicago, looks like a vacation spa compared to NewYork,
c”mon
What does this even mean?

Old 08-13-2021, 07:00 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,632,186 times
The OP's comments were extremely cringe and borderline hysterical for all the wrong reasons. But I do have to say, from a Black man's perspective I prefer NYC over Chicago. And that's in large part due to NYC social outings being more integrated.

In Chicago the racial disparity seems much more blatant compared to NYC. Also Chicago from my experience doesn't seem to have as many social settings with a predominately Black crowd in safe spaces. In NYC you see them all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. Like you don't have to go all the way to a predominately Black neighborhood to get that in NYC like you would have to in Chicago.

I still think you got a fine experience as a Black man in Chicago and there's still a lot for a good Black cultural experience in Chicago without having to go to South Chicago or West side just NYC has a lot more.

With all that said, NYC is still racist. It might be more subtle depending on what part of NYC your in but I experienced 2 subtle racial incidents the last time I was there back in 2016.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The OP's comments were extremely cringe and borderline hysterical for all the wrong reasons. But I do have to say, from a Black man's perspective I prefer NYC over Chicago. And that's in large part due to NYC social outings being more integrated.

In Chicago the racial disparity seems much more blatant compared to NYC. Also Chicago from my experience doesn't seem to have as many social settings with a predominately Black crowd in safe spaces. In NYC you see them all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. Like you don't have to go all the way to a predominately Black neighborhood to get that in NYC like you would have to in Chicago.

I still think you got a fine experience as a Black man in Chicago and there's still a lot for a good Black cultural experience in Chicago without having to go to South Chicago or West side just NYC has a lot more.

With all that said, NYC is still racist. It might be more subtle depending on what part of NYC your in but I experienced 2 subtle racial incidents the last time I was there back in 2016.
I’m not black, but your post seems spot-on. I would say the one area that does seem kind of classy and upscale for blacks that is not deep in the South/West sides is Hyde Park. Technically it is just the beginning of the Sound Side, but it is very nice and classy. Besides University of Chicago, there are some really nice mature/low-key nightlife spots. I know there are lots of restaurants/bars that cater to the professional black crowd, but you also see a good amount of integration. A lot of white people don’t think about going to Hyde Park because it’s so isolated from public transportation. It was probably 3 years after I moved to Chicago before I went there, and I’m glad I did. It’s one of my favorite neighborhoods. Had a memorable night out at a great restaurant for a charity event.

But you are likely correct. I would assume blacks would have a lot more social options in NYC. Especially among the professional crowd.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:29 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Chicago is by far my favorite city.. but the areas I love about Chicago from Rogers Park to Lincoln Park to Wrigleyville all seem to have large White scenes.

Where are the Black/African American equivalent areas, because albeit a few spots.. social integration was severely limited. I was thinking Bronzeville or Hyde Park? Would I be right in my assessment?

Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’m not black, but your post seems spot-on. I would say the one area that does seem kind of classy and upscale for blacks that is not deep in the South/West sides is Hyde Park. Technically it is just the beginning of the Sound Side, but it is very nice and classy. Besides University of Chicago, there are some really nice mature/low-key nightlife spots. I know there are lots of restaurants/bars that cater to the professional black crowd, but you also see a good amount of integration. A lot of white people don’t think about going to Hyde Park because it’s so isolated from public transportation. It was probably 3 years after I moved to Chicago before I went there, and I’m glad I did. It’s one of my favorite neighborhoods. Had a memorable night out at a great restaurant for a charity event.

But you are likely correct. I would assume blacks would have a lot more social options in NYC. Especially among the professional crowd.
Forgot about Hyde Park and Bronzeville. Hyde Park did have a similar vibe to what you'll experience in NYC. It's just a shame it isn't more of those kind of areas in the city.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago is by far my favorite city.. but the areas I love about Chicago from Rogers Park to Lincoln Park to Wrigleyville all seem to have large White scenes.

Where are the Black/African American equivalent areas, because albeit a few spots.. social integration was severely limited. I was thinking Bronzeville or Hyde Park? Would I be right in my assessment?
I’m not black, but I would consider Hyde Park to definitely be one of those equivalent spots. It is a very nice neighborhood with some really nice restaurants, shopping, and nightlife for professionals, particularly African Americans. You see a good amount of diversity as well with all races together. But there is definitely more spots that cater to African Americans.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:57 PM

809 posts, read 471,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’m not black, but I would consider Hyde Park to definitely be one of those equivalent spots. It is a very nice neighborhood with some really nice restaurants, shopping, and nightlife for professionals, particularly African Americans. You see a good amount of diversity as well with all races together. But there is definitely more spots that cater to African Americans.
Yup - Hyde Park and the Inner West Loop (Near West Side) for sure. Love Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City