Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,773,741 times

Advertisements

Ok.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,138,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
And no one calls Miami the 'magic city' or Dallas 'big D' except for out of towners/tourist.

So I guess to be safe, we should call every city its name without slashing it to some abbreviation?

LOl, no I will pass. In informal situations I will always refer to my city as the A. Residents of the city (especially the black ones) will always give their city an abbreviation, or a moniker. But even that isn't as much as people from certain cities tell you what part they are from instead of the actual city itself. If someone is familiar with Atlanta I will just say "southwest" or "Zone 4", DC cats usually will say "southeast", "northeast", or "Uptown" depending where their from in DC, Ive heard Chicago dudes say "up north", "down south" or "out west" depending on where their from. Miami dudes use the term down south to, Ive heard people from the Cutler Bay area in Miami call it down south

Old 08-29-2009, 08:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
^^^^Very true about DC! I know a lot of black people from Chicago. I have heard them say "The Chi."

Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Fresh from New York and ready to jump back on the plane for a return (hopefully permanent)....first off Id like to start this post by saying that I am a lifelong proud Chicagoan. Now let me proceed.

Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is inferior to the Chicago hotdog but the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- Chicago is the definite winner. New York has an old 80's feel where as Chi Town is on the forefront of affordable upscale living. But who cares in New York who in the hell wants to stay home.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Mayor Daley's Cash Cow we know as Chicago.
I can see your excitement and love for New York.
But what's up with the bashing? Your saying that NY is very open to people of all races and culture and that you love it, but your the total opposite of all that in a way.. Your those kinds of people who obsess about race rather than look at a person as a whole which is what the average NYer would do.
And I don't know about you, but the Black woman in Chicago are gorgeous I always thought Chicago had the most beautiful black woman in the north.

Your judging everything according to race.
Once you get over that, you'd be good in NYC.

This is why I'm glad I went to public school in one of the most diverse cities in the NYC metro... I don't even think of race when i'm with or talking to someone. I mean yeah, i notice what color they are, but i don't think about it.

I bet your those kinds of people who think almost everything is racist when in reality, it's not... I hate that crap.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
^ co sign all day dude. This guy talks about racism (which i understand) but talk rap about black people. What goes around cmes around boys and girls. remember that.

-mas23-

btw i always though dc had the most beautiful blackk women in the north

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
^ co sign all day dude. This guy talks about racism (which i understand) but talk rap about black people. What goes around cmes around boys and girls. remember that.

-mas23-

btw i always though dc had the most beautiful blackk women in the north
I know, it's ridiculous.
I understand when someone is for the opposite race for various situations, but to bash your own race and call the other race racist seems oxymoron.

And yea, I agree about DC, but no one really know's what official region that is.
Baltimore actually has beautiful black woman too though, so that can take the lead as having the most beautiful black woman in the north IMO.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM DBS View Post
Kanye West lives in Manhattan. In my friends building in SoHo and I saw him nearly every day.

But to the OP, Unless you were up in Harlem, Manhattan (south of 100th street?) is very "white" with a small mix of wealthy non-Caucasians. Walk down 5th Avenue or downtown Manhattan and look around. I never noticed it until my wealthy-Manhattan living black friend pointed it out.

I only saw lots of black and hispanic people in Manhattan in Times Square on weeknights.

Were you in another borough? You mentioned SoHo so I'm assuming you were in Manhattan.
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. Manhattan is very white, IMO. I've seen a fair number of blacks in Midtown and on Canal, and of course you see them Uptown, but other than that, not really, IMO. But I don't live there, so.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM

197 posts, read 181,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The OP was just wanting to pick a fight. A very bad one at that. Luckily 95% of the posters here are very intelligent, open minded, good people.

Right. Chicagoans who would not admit their city is as the most segregated big city in the US. even though their own newpapers does:

Chicago Tribune:

"Chicago, America’s most segregated big city"

Racial lines were drawn over the city’s history and remain entrenched by people’s choice, economics

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by take2; 08-29-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
I will say I have often thought this myself about some of the whites in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. It does not apply to all whites but some of the white folks in Lakeview make me wonder.

I wonder how many of those white folks actually go to the West and South sides.......they seem to loooooooooove Chicago but I wonder if they really know Chicago.

I agree Chicago is a white city.

I read a lot of the upscale Chicago related Magazines and free newspapers and you very rarely see any stories about blacks. Almost never.

Chicago is just another mid western TOWN in my opinion. I am not a native and I cannot wait to get the hell out of this TOWN after 4 years.

This is one place I never have to return to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post

the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
I always though Detroit and NYC had the most sexiest black women up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City