Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm sorry, but it looks like you're comparing the Cleveland light rail line to DC's Metro system. I'm certain that wasn't your intent.

And, yes, Cleveland has some nice suburbs. I'm from Ohio and have a number of relatives who live in them. But there's really no comparison between Cleveland's burbs and what's offered in DC. Aside from having the highest level of affluency in the nation, many of DC's close-in burbs function as extensions of the core of DC itself in terms of commercial and residential development--particularly areas such as Arlington's orange and yellow line corridors, and Alexandria (all of which were actually part of the District at one point)--as well as in connecting to the core of DC via Metro and other transit lines (such as MARC and VRE).

You would be correct that there is no comparison between the two; only you selected the wrong city.
I lived in Rosslyn and Ballston in Arlington, as well as Alexandria. I REALLY like the area and there are some good suburbs. But there is nothing that compares in my opinion to the charm of many Cleveland suburbs like Rocky River, Chagrin Falls, Brecksville, Concord, etc I could go on.. Some of the communities on the lake are really special.. You just don't have the boating, sailing, beach, etc culture in DC.

55 kensington oval cleveland ohio - Google Maps

That's one area.. Great on the lake views, old well maintained homes, cool street layout, etc..

Certainly the debate of DC vs Clevelands light/heavy rails is silly.. But Cleveland was rated as having one of the best public transportation systems in the nation.

Oh and I don't "affluence" should determine how nice an area is.. Cleveland's cost of living is very low, so you can get a house that is 1.5 million in Arlington for $400k in Clevelands suburbs. And there are wealthy areas as well like Hudson or Pepper Pike or Seven Hills (all awesome suburbs). Don't get me wrong, I love DC and still have family there -- will probably live there again. I just find Cleveland suburbs have more charm. Although, Bethesda is VERY similar (besides the business district) to what many Cleveland suburbs look like.

Last edited by WeSoHood; 10-23-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
tmac9wr - Yep, you were probably in Buckhead. There are actually areas with 200+ year old native tree cover there, moreso than the more suburban areas outside I-285.

Some sections almost feel like you're in a National Park, only filled with mansions & estates.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
tmac9wr - Yep, you were probably in Buckhead. There are actually areas with 200+ year old native tree cover there, moreso than the more suburban areas outside I-285.

Some sections almost feel like you're in a National Park, only filled with mansions & estates.
Yea it was very nice. My friend's wife (at the time fiance) lived in another inner suburb...I think it mayyy have been Dunwoody? He said the town as a whole wasn't the nicest, but the area I went to was very nice (her father owns an Architecture firm in ATL, so they're not exactly scraping to get by). Are the outer burbs like that at all?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea it was very nice. My friend's wife (at the time fiance) lived in another inner suburb...I think it mayyy have been Dunwoody? He said the town as a whole wasn't the nicest, but the area I went to was very nice (her father owns an Architecture firm in ATL, so they're not exactly scraping to get by). Are the outer burbs like that at all?
Sure, some of them.

Dunwoody is pretty nice throughout the whole town. Sandy Springs is right next door, and I'm guessing that may be where you were by your friends comment. Parts of Sandy Springs look like, and actually are, just extensions of Buckhead. The commercial corridors though bring it down a little in some people's mind. Lot's of apartments were allowed in, etc.

The outer burbs are a mixed bag. Some suburban Counties paid nothing but lip service to the developers that went after the "slash & burn" approach, as in clearcutting beautiful forests. Other Counties were much more strict. Overall though, the tree cover inside the Perimeter is much, much better than MOST suburban areas today. North Fulton & Cobb seem to have done a better job than some other Counties.

I'm speaking of the 5 core Counties here. The further out you go, it is still pretty lush.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Oh and I don't "affluence" should determine how nice an area is.
I don't really, either. At least, not in and of itself. I only mentioned it because typically more money/affluency = more commercial development, more job opportunities, more cultural opportunities and a more robust economy in general.

Cleveland's burbs and DC's burbs are indeed very different. I had relatives who lived right off the lake west of Painseville, and I loved going up to spend time with them. Definitely a different vibe than what you get in, say, Rosslyn. Still, as "charming" as Cleveland's burbs may be, I simply find there's more going on in the close-burbs in DC. The Rosslyn-Courthouse-Clarendon-Ballston corridor is one of the most commercially vibrant suburban corridors in the country. Old Town Alexandria has both an abundance of charm *and* a thriving commercial center. Pentagon City/Crystal city are bustling. Central Falls Church deifnitely falls under the "quaint" category. Bethesda has one of the largest and most diverse shopping hubs in the entire metro area (along with some gorgeous houses). Tysons is one of the nation's largest business districts (even if it is soulless). Silver Spring has a good mix of commercial activity and affordable residences.

Farther afield you have places like Leesburg and Frederick, which are lovely in their own right.

Again, not meant to knock the Cleveland area...I simply have found that DC's suburbs give you more.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
The inner ring suburbs of DC such as Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring are pretty impressive in terms of walkability and transit oriented developmentin many parts. Reston and Columbia are pretty nice from the perspective of urban planning (when I was a kid, I used to draw maps and create communities. I swear was an urban planner in another life). But the more outlying burbs seem to be a bit 'meh' to me, and incredibly expensive for what you get.

Here in Atlanta, I like the northern suburbs such as Alpharetta, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody. East Cobb has its moments as well. None of them are what I'd call pedestrian friendly though.

I know it's taboo to say to some, but I was actually impressed by Plano (outside Dallas). For such a fast-growing suburb, the city is well-planned and laid out well (certainly more impressive than anything you see here in Atlanta in terms of planning). Good schools and a lot of companies, so its not a bedroom community.

Out on the West Coast, I'd say Pasadena for the charm of the Old Town area. I also love San Marino and the Palos Verdes areas.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm sorry, but it looks like you're comparing the Cleveland light rail line to DC's Metro system. I'm certain that wasn't your intent.

And, yes, Cleveland has some nice suburbs. I'm from Ohio and have a number of relatives who live in them. But there's really no comparison between Cleveland's burbs and what's offered in DC. Aside from having the highest level of affluency in the nation, many of DC's close-in burbs function as extensions of the core of DC itself in terms of commercial and residential development--particularly areas such as Arlington's orange and yellow line corridors, and Alexandria (all of which were actually part of the District at one point)--as well as in connecting to the core of DC via Metro and other transit lines (such as MARC and VRE).

You would be correct that there is no comparison between the two; only you selected the wrong city.

I just showed a picture of rapid transit. What was DC's picture intented to show? It was simply two metro stations, as if you were implying that Cleveland suburbs didn't have anything remotely similar. lol.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
I just showed a picture of rapid transit. What was DC's picture intented to show?
Connectivity to DC and the rest of the Metro region via the nation's second busiest subway system. I'm glad that Cleveland has a light rail line, but it's not comparable to Metro.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
NYC suburbs by far because of the diversity of its burbs.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Quote:
A few of Miami's

YouTube - Hampton Inn Coconut Grove / Coral Gables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City