Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times

Advertisements

IMO, LA and DC have the best suburbs in the country hands down; followed by NYC and Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Really? The DC area has 6 of the ten richest counties in the US!
Who said anything about being "rich"? And also- the DC burbs are all new money. The upper-crust old money suburbs are NY and Boston.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Try looking at my other posts before you make generalizations. For a couple years I lived just outside Portland, Maine and frequently went to Boston because my ex lived there. I also played on a hockey team in Ct, and we were in Boston every other weekend playing teams in the suburbs of Boston. I've been to the DC suburbs many times because I played against the Ice hockey teams there. Same goes for Philadelphia.

The only suburbs I've never been to are in CA and TX.
Ever been to burbs of Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Denver, St Louis, Detroit, or Seattle?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
So who here as actually spent a reasonable amount of time in suburbs of all of the following metro areas? (I sure haven't.)

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Detroit

If you haven't, I'd argue that you have insufficient data to make an informed comment. (Not that being uninformed has ever stopped anyone from giving their authoritative opinion.)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Ny by far. I wouldn't live in the suburbs in any other city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
So who here as actually spent a reasonable amount of time in suburbs of all of the following metro areas? (I sure haven't.)

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Detroit

If you haven't, I'd argue that you have insufficient data to make an informed comment. (Not that being uninformed has ever stopped anyone from giving their authoritative opinion.)

So true

Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Same goes with NYC suburbs.
Except NYC isnt on the West Coast, therefore it cant possibly be better!

(jk)

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Detroit

So true!

Of those cities, Ive spent time in the LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta suburbs. The Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta suburbs are virtually identical and they are nice. Chicago suburbs arent that different either. LA's suburbs are the best IMO (but I am biased since Im from there).

Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Detroit

90% of the people who post on this site make generalizations about places, most have no idea what they are talking about.
I grew up in the Chicago burbs, Currently live in DC and work in NoVa, My GF grew up in Dedham, Ma and I know the NYC and LA suburbs somewhat, I consider myself pretty well traveled and dont know most of the metro area in this country, and I doubt there are many here who do.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So true!

Of those cities, Ive spent time in the LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta suburbs. The Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta suburbs are virtually identical and they are nice. Chicago suburbs arent that different either. LA's suburbs are the best IMO (but I am biased since Im from there).
Actually,the topography of the land is much different.Houston is flat.Atlanta (due to it being in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains)is very hilly and dense with trees.Although as far as housing is concerned they tend to be very similar.Also their are so many suburbs in Atlanta,that there is a different feel from "burb" to "burb".Most of the time not drastic,but their is a difference.I think Atlanta's metro area is the largest in North America with 28 counties.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually,the topography of the land is much different.Houston is flat.Atlanta (due to it being in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains)is very hilly and dense with trees.Although as far as housing is concerned they tend to be very similar.Also their are so many suburbs in Atlanta,that there is a different feel from "burb" to "burb".Most of the time not drastic,but their is a difference.I think Atlanta's metro area is the largest in North America with 28 counties.
I should have been more specific. I was talking in terms of ammenities and lifestyle. Topographically, I know they are different.

28 counties??? Wow, I didnt know that. The Atlanta MSA is slightly smaller than DFW and the Houston MSA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City