Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Is anyone in here actually believing that Houston is a cultural tourist destination? I really can't stop laughing at most of the comments saying that it is. I've lived here over 20 years and you would have a difficult time finding any Houstonian outside of this forum that would say we are a cultural city. Most Houstonians would tell you that the city has very little to offer to the locals and even less to offer to tourists. The more we try to convince people we are a cultural city, the less weight our arguments will ever carry when it comes time to defend the city in a more valid thread. I still think Houston doesn't rank in the top 25. I'd love to get the opinions of people who visited the city for it's culture and not for business or to see family or friends. But I doubt you will find anyone outside the Houston metro or Texas that have come here for culture alone.

If I lived outside of Houston and I had time off from work or school to take a vacation I could think of 100 places I'd go to before Houston.
You need to get out of Houston and explore. If you really think every city in North America outside of Houston is on NYC's SF's and Philly's level, then you're being delusional. Trust me, there are 100 cities Houston beats in terms of cultural offerings. In all seriousness, what city have you been to, to get an ideal that Houston doesn't even belong in the top25? I've see the whole south and the whole eastcoast. I mean, the rankings put Houston on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
And where did you get this information from? Cite your source!

P.S., there is a difference between acknowledging someplace being the best and wanting to live there. Most southerners move to San Antonio over New York and London but do you honestly think southerners think San Antonio is better than New York or London (well I wouldn't be surprised since the south by large is a stupid region, but that's beside the point.)?

Results always say NYC is the greatest city and you are full of jealousy! Admit it!!
Your asking the wrong person that because I don't really care for NYC. I'd love to visit, but I'm not a fan of crowded, dense, and urban cities.

Technically, NYC is only considered the greatest city due to the media. Texans as a whole are more drawn to the LA area than NYC.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 AM

152 posts, read 221,442 times
Miami should be on the list !

Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 AM

315 posts, read 666,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
Technically, NYC is only considered the greatest city due to the media. Texans as a whole are more drawn to the LA area than NYC.

What a load of utter rubbish...and ignorance.. And, as usual, from someone who has likely never even visited the place.

NYC EARNED its status as arguably the greatest city in the world due to (among other things) its role in finance, the arts, culture, fashion, diversity, entertainment, architecture, and politics -- more so than just about any other city in the world.

The media didn't just bestow greatness upon NYC one sunny day -- "Oh we like NYC and we want it to be the best so it is..." NYC's actions -- both past and present -- speak for themselves. It is and has been a major player that has influenced the world we live in (whether you like it or not), not just on a national stage, but internationally as well. The accolades it receives by the media are incidental to NYC's accomplishments, which are every bit deserved.

Quote:
Your asking the wrong person that because I don't really care for NYC. I'd love to visit, but I'm not a fan of crowded, dense, and urban cities.
Your personal preferences do not change the fact that NYC is one of the world's preeminent cities, considered the greatest (or one of the greatest) by many people outside of New York, Americans and non-Americans alike. Media or not.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-14-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
What a load of utter rubbish...and ignorance.. And, as usual, from someone who has likely never even visited the place.

NYC EARNED its status as arguably the greatest city in the world due to (among other things) its role in finance, the arts, culture, fashion, diversity, entertainment, architecture, and politics -- more so than just about any other city in the world.

The media didn't just bestow greatness upon NYC one sunny day -- "Oh we like NYC and we want it to be the best so it is..." NYC's actions -- both past and present -- speak for themselves. It is and has been a major player that has influenced the world we live in (whether you like it or not), not just on a national stage, but internationally as well. The accolades it receives by the media are incidental to NYC's accomplishments, which are every bit deserved.

Your personal preferences do not change the fact that NYC is one of the world's preeminent cities, considered the greatest (or one of the greatest) by many people outside of New York, Americans and non-Americans alike. Media or not.
It's all subjective. You can call all the people who despise NYC ignorant or dumb as much as you want; However, It's all still based partially off the media. I'm not doubting or downing the prominence than NYC has, but many people don't want to be part of it. That's life, accept it.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM

^ And I do happily accept that there are many who personally prefer a more rural or suburban lifestyle to live in as opposed to the hustle and bustle than NYC. I have no problem with that. Nobody has every stated that NYC is the city with the greatest quality of life for everyone. It would be a boring, less diverse world if everyone was a cosmopolitan cityphile.

Take note, however, that the title "greatest city in the world" takes into account other important factors, out of which "quality of life" is but one.

When you effectively argue that NYC is the greatest city only because the media says so, boy, you are use too wide of a brush stroke there. You have the weight not only of history and the present against you but the opinions of many Americans and non-Americans alike. The media didn't prop NYC up, NYC propped itself up and once it achieved a certain level of prominence, the media took notice. This is something that those of you who rely on personal preferences rather than the facts need to accept because that is the reality.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-14-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
^ And I do happily accept that there are many who personally prefer a more rural or suburban lifestyle to live in as opposed to the hustle and bustle than NYC. I have no problem with that. Nobody has every stated that NYC is the city with the greatest quality of life for everyone. It would be a boring, less diverse world if everyone was a cosmopolitan cityphile.

But when you effectively argue that NYC is the greatest city only because the media says so, boy, you are use too wide of a brush stroke there. You have the weight not only of history and the present against you but the opinions of many Americans and non-Americans alike. The media didn't prop NYC up, NYC propped itself up and once it achieved a certain level of prominence, the media took notice. This is something that those of you who rely on personal preferences rather than the facts need to accept because that is the reality.
No city can be considered the Greatest city in the world; that's completely subjective and just an opinion. That is more of a nickname for NYC than an actual fact.

I could bring up lots of times I've heard Texas referred to as the best thing about America; However, I don't take it seriously because you have many people object to that. History or not, it's just a nickname. This reminds me of the people who consistently still refer to Chicago as The Second City.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No city can be considered the Greatest city in the world; that's completely subjective and just an opinion.
True. But boy does the Anglo Saxon media try to tell us otherwise.

Especially the UK-I swear every single world cities ranking comes from there--its as if they are trying to make up for their small physical size by reminding us over and over again how incredibly important we're supposed to think London is.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True. But boy does the Anglo Saxon media try to tell us otherwise.

Especially the UK-I swear every single world cities ranking comes from there--its as if they are trying to make up for their small physical size by reminding us over and over again how incredibly important we're supposed to think London is.
As long as NYC makes the list; its correct. Have it any other way? throw it out, it's BS.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
I could bring up lots of times I've heard Texas referred to as the best thing about America
A self-imposed reputation mostly by Texans on themselves is different than the type of global prestige and recognition that NYC has.

The absolute title of which city in the "greatest in the world" is of course, subjective, but it is based on real criteria out of which NYC consistently averages amongst the highest in the world in every survey/study of world's greatest cities. This remarkable objective consistency goes beyond the subjectivity of any individual criterion.

Heck, even school grades can be subjective but that doesn't mean that you can't determine who the best students are from them. Regardless of who should be valedictorian, the very "best students" will still consistently score high marks (they may every now and then get a "B".. or a "bad" teacher might give them a higher or lower grade than they deserve) overall relative to "average" students. Even in subjectivity, there are trends, tiers, and consistent patterns that show up over and over again, separating the wheat from the chaff.

Is NYC the absolute greatest city in the world? Maybe or maybe not but it is certainly one of the best and by most measures, the most important city in the US. NYC is certainly a more important, prominent city, than say, Houston regardless of your personal quality of life preferences are. Remember that quality of life is but only one criterion that determine a city's greatness.
Is it fact that NYC is a global leader in finance, arts, culture, politics, fashion, diversity, food..? No doubt about it.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-14-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City