Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I could see it as #10, philly and sf were both behind houston though, Philadelphia is not even ON the list. that is why everybody is throwing the list in the e-paper shredder of another stupid forbes list.
Well considering it's a Forbes list they probably just counted museums and sizes of arts districts and metro areas and threw all these figures into some sort of algebraic equation and came up with a figure. Problem is when it comes to something subjective like this there's a lot to take into consideration, it's just not the simplistic. But apparently it is that easy for Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
The ranking is debatable at best, like anything Forbes does, but it is a fact that there is a large selection of cultural amenities in all the cities namechecked therein.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,684 times
MTV even says it. You know there VMA ads "Watch the VMA's Live from the Greatest city in the World.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 PM

59 posts, read 99,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Now step out into the real world and you'll see how much your beloved city is really loved. In the south, NYC isn't the most favorite; southerns flock to Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, or Houston. We'd go with LA over NYC. You have people in the north who see these cities as somewhere to live the American dream.
And where did you get this information from? Cite your source!

P.S., there is a difference between acknowledging someplace being the best and wanting to live there. Most southerners move to San Antonio over New York and London but do you honestly think southerners think San Antonio is better than New York or London (well I wouldn't be surprised since the south by large is a stupid region, but that's beside the point.)?

Results always say NYC is the greatest city and you are full of jealousy! Admit it!!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:49 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
Results always say NYC is the greatest city and you are full of jealousy! Admit it!!
Actually, what you have is people aggravated they can't afford to live as large in NYC, and they're incapable of adjusting their lifestyle to live in a place that's to their standards, so they move here for their big house and yard and then take their aggressions out on here against the city. It's just bitterness all around and a general feeling of inadequacy. Like knowing your wife's faking it.

The inferiority complex rests with them, not us.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
overnight visitors.....
Different websites quoted different numbers and different criteria as to what "constitues" a tourist and in what ways money was infused into the given city's economy. Hard to get an accurate number.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
1. Washington D.C. (duH)
2. Williamsburg/Hampton Roads
3. New Orleans
4. Boston
5. Miami
6. San Antonio
7. Charleston/Savannah
8. Honolulu
9. Anchorage
10. San Francisco
11. New York/North Jersey

okay, so that's 11 but NYC had to be on the list, obviously...

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Good stuff. Like I said somewhere else, the ATL and TX just need to form an Alliance of Truthiness. Clearly people are too wrapped up in their own cities to recognize that people, from other parts of the world no less, actually do like Texas and Atlanta attractions.

I was surprised once in Paris a few years back, that street vendors were actually selling Atlanta jerseys and played Lil Jon on the radio constantly like it was their own. We stayed with a mother and her son for some time when we were there, and the son's favorite album was by the Atlanta group 112. It blew my mind!

There are cities outside the west and east costs that get love guys, get over it!
I like this.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yep, so does NY.
NY make EVERY city look like a joke. So what is your point?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Don't flatter yourself, Texas is never on my mind, either good or bad.

What I've learned on this forum is that you can't get away with saying something like "the Alamo is only popular with Texans" and have people like you try to prove me wrong. All I do is try to back up my statement, unlike so many others on here.
When did I try to prove you wrong? You're the one that went on a rant talking about how the Alamo is not popular outside of TX. I agree, but that's all you had to say. I agreed with you. I never tried to prove you wrong, you're delusional. And how am I flattering myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City