Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
He might be under the impression that Charleston hosting Spoleto every year trumps Atlanta's offerings?

Spoleto is a HUGE deal, but not big enough to negate anything in Atlanta.

Spoleto Festival USA 2009 - Welcome!
That occurred to me, and that is why is you want to compare Charleston with its' peers populationwise it is hard to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/20/america-culture-capitals-lifestyle-travel-arts_slide_2.html?partner=msnbc

10. San Francisco
9. Minneapolis
8. Houston
7. Dallas
6. Atlanta
5. Washington
4. Boston
3. Chicago
2. LA
1. New York
Dallas, Houston, and Minneapolis made the list...wow!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Is the list based on number of cultural institutions?

Because even though Houston has less than Atlanta or Dallas, i can assure you Houston has better quality institutions OVERALL...or am i wrong?

Houston is second to New York City in concentration of theater seats. And is one of only a few cities with all the 4 major performing arts. Plus, the Houston Opera is the only opera company in the US with a grammy, tony, and an emmy.

And the museums are all mostly concentrated in a green and walkable district with noteworthy architecture. What better location than a monumental park, adjacent to a top university and the largest medical center in the world. Not to mention that they're good museums, with high visitor levels, and some well-renowned.

There is also great festivals like the Bayou City Art Festival, considered one of the top 5 in the US.

I apologize if im bringing up a discussion thats already been argued....

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 10-09-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Is the list based on number of cultural institutions?

Because even though Houston has less than Atlanta or Dallas, i can assure you Houston has better quality institutions OVERALL...or am i wrong?

Houston is second to New York City in concentration of theater seats. And is one of only a few cities with all the 4 major performing arts. Plus, the Houston Opera is the only opera company in the US with a grammy, tony, and an emmy.

And the museums are all mostly concentrated in a green and walkable district with noteworthy architecture. What better location than a monumental park, adjacent to a top university and the largest medical center in the world. Not to mention that they're good museums, with high visitor levels, and some well-renowned.

There is also great festivals like the Bayou City Art Festival, considered one of the top 5 in the US.
I have a few questions...

1. What does a "concentration of theater seats" have to do with quality?

2. What are the 4 major performing arts...Opera, Theater, Ballet, and Symphony? I know Dallas and Atlanta do, but don't most other major cities have all four as well?

3. What makes a "district" of museums (or whatever) better than museums (or whatever) located conveniently around the city? Is a cultural campus, like Woodruff Arts Center in Atlanta, better than a single theater or museum?

4. What makes a city's festival "top 5 in the U.S."? Attendance or something else?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True. But boy does the Anglo Saxon media try to tell us otherwise.

Especially the UK-I swear every single world cities ranking comes from there--its as if they are trying to make up for their small physical size by reminding us over and over again how incredibly important we're supposed to think London is.
So true.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I have a few questions...

1. What does a "concentration of theater seats" have to do with quality?

2. What are the 4 major performing arts...Opera, Theater, Ballet, and Symphony? I know Dallas and Atlanta do, but don't most other major cities have all four as well?

3. What makes a "district" of museums (or whatever) better than museums (or whatever) located conveniently around the city? Is a cultural campus, like Woodruff Arts Center in Atlanta, better than a single theater or museum?

4. What makes a city's festival "top 5 in the U.S."? Attendance or something else?
1. Well it may be irrelevant, but when there is a concentration, you are in a cultural environment that a stand-alone theater can't provide because there is only 1, thus a concentration enhances your experience, which in turn, enhances the QUALITY of the theater. (might not matter to some people, though)

2. Yes, it is opera, ballet, music(symphony), and theater. Well, perhaps your right, maybe all major cities do have these. But i read that Houston's are year-round, not just seasonal. So maybe thats what it meant when i read only a few cities have this.

3. Same as number 1, all about the environment and experience. Plus its not just a museum district plopped in the middle of nowhere. Its location is great Something you have to see, to believe.

4. I have no idea. My guess would be attendance. But im sure a lot of people dont congregate somewhere for no reason, so its right to assume its a good-quality art festival.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Every large city has those things or something very similar...none of that sets Houston apart from every other city. I'm not doubting your information or questioning your passion, but I can't see where anything you've posted really sets Houston apart from Miami, Atlanta, or Dallas.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-09-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Every large city has those things or something very similar...none of that sets Houston apart from every other city.
Well, sort of.
I think it is set apart from most other sunbelt cities, at least.

Houston Facts (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)
Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines.
Houston is one of only three cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet. New York and San Francisco are the other two cities.
Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space in the United States, ranking only behind New York.
Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the fourth most visited museum in the United States, ranking only behind the Smithsonian Institute, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the American Museum of Natural Science.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Well, sort of.
I think it is set apart from most other sunbelt cities, at least.

Houston Facts (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)
Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines.
Houston is one of only three cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet. New York and San Francisco are the other two cities.
Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space in the United States, ranking only behind New York.
Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the fourth most visited museum in the United States, ranking only behind the Smithsonian Institute, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the American Museum of Natural Science.
Well, statistics sound more impressive when they aren't compared to anything...for example, "Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines" - so where do the other southern cities rank? If Atlanta is 6th and Dallas is 7th, the Houston ranking isn't quite as big of a deal.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Well, statistics sound more impressive when they aren't compared to anything...for example, "Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines" - so where do the other southern cities rank? If Atlanta is 6th and Dallas is 7th, the Houston ranking isn't quite as big of a deal.
Hmmm reminds me of "insignificant difference" calculations from statistics!

PS I agree with your comments being I have found most cities offer the same amenities. I am more impressed by small cities that compete with much larger ones.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 10-09-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City