Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

High siding---making a joke.

Why you high siding?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Check out this video about Bay Area slang...seriously our slang is on a whole other level lol.

YouTube - Bay Area slang

Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Whats funny about it is there are 4 or 5 different terms that all mean the same. Roasting is a little more oldschool and more well known than the others. It manage to get on Urban Dictionary: Roast

Gun/ Heat is less known and more local. I hear this in the suburbs.
yeah i hear it in the burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
In the Bay Area

Hella- A lot or very " That was hella fun" or "That was hella dumb"

The Yay- Short term used for The Bay Area

Whip- Car

Yayper- Money

Yadamean- "You know what I mean"

What it do- "What's up'

Hyphy- Short for hyperactive...used in tons of Bay Area songs. To act crazy.

Scraper- A ghetto car...a "bucket" car.

That's just some of the terms used. To be honest to Bay Area has so many slang words it's hard to remember them all lol.
for real? i thought that was from houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I heard this Chicago slang from other rappers not from the region like Ludacris(ATL) and Cam'ron(NYC)

Bustdown- derogatory word for a female that is a h*e or sleeps around with multiple guys.
luda is really from oak park tho but IDK about cam ron. he did shoot a new video on the west side

Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
I was raised in SoCal, and I remember how I immediately knew someone was from The Bay Area by them using "Hella". I always thought the band No Doubt (who are as SoCal as it gets) were being ironic when they used the word for one of their biggest hits (Hella Good).

My DC relatives constantly use the word "Bama" to describe someone whom they deem as uncool.

I know of Philadelphians who refer to everything as "Jawn"
Is "Wicked" the Bostonian equivalent of "Hella"?

My DC relativ

Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

luda is really from oak park tho but IDK about cam ron. he must have some kinda connection with chicago since he shot his new video on the west side
This is only hearsay, but I heard he has a couple of blocks "out west"- whatever the case he is in K-town often

Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
Woofin

Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
yeah i hear it in the burbs

for real? i thought that was from houston

luda is really from oak park tho but IDK about cam ron. he did shoot a new video on the west side

Words like "for real" & "Already" not a Houston term but a Texas term. We use those terms in Dallas and the rest of Texas as well.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Finna/Fin = Going to. Originally from southern/African-American english "Fixing to" do something (I think)
Yeah that's more southern than particularly slang in a particular slang. But right fixin' to (the g is usually dropped) is the "white" way of saying "about to" and fin is the "black" way. I used to get teased by an ex for saying "fixin' to" said I talked like an old white man (I'm black). I remember a classmate (English major) got so upset when another English major corrected her child (sometimes mothers will bring their kids to school) and said "You don't say 'fin to' the correct way is 'fixin' to'." Yeah I'm an English major but I've never been a grammar police type.

In the DC area black folks here have a lot of unique slang. Calling someone a "bama" comes to mind.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I was raised in SoCal, and I remember how I immediately knew someone was from The Bay Area by them using "Hella". I always thought the band No Doubt (who are as SoCal as it gets) were being ironic when they used the word for one of their biggest hits (Hella Good).

My DC relatives constantly use the word "Bama" to describe someone whom they deem as uncool.

I know of Philadelphians who refer to everything as "Jawn"
Is "Wicked" the Bostonian equivalent of "Hella"?

My DC relativ
Thanks. Been trying to figure out what that means hear it a lot on the radio.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah that's more southern than particularly slang in a particular slang. But right fixin' to (the g is usually dropped) is the "white" way of saying "about to" and fin is the "black" way. I used to get teased by an ex for saying "fixin' to" said I talked like an old white man (I'm black). I remember a classmate (English major) got so upset when another English major corrected her child (sometimes mothers will bring their kids to school) and said "You don't say 'fin to' the correct way is 'fixin' to'." Yeah I'm an English major but I've never been a grammar police type.

In the DC area black folks here have a lot of unique slang. Calling someone a "bama" comes to mind.

True, (black and latino, I guess) people in the Midwest often say it, but I remember people from Philly up through Boston laughing/being confused by "finna" when I used it in a joking way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City