Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times

Advertisements

dag I forgot about some of these.. we say "fa real?" so much I don't even feel like it's slang anymore!

i don't know why bu i just love the word murked. i guess cause whenever i hear it it's never to really mean murdered but usually in humor to dog somebody out like "dayumm, that one-legged boy MURKED yo ass in that foot race (and then everyone erupts in laughter at the person being joned)!!" murked just seems to capture the moment perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Georgia has much slang too:

Gwap = money

Shawty = girl

coolin= chillin

ya dig= you understand

yonder= over there

bruh= bro

off da chain= wild as hell

trill= hood way of saying real

crunk= getting wild and crazy

what's good= how you doing or what's up

cool out= chill out

fa real= means really?

im bout to bounce= i'll see ya later

murked= killed or murdered

be easy= calm down or stay cool

swag= style

flexin= prepetrating

Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
^^^^Yeah we say "this, that and the third", "this, that and the other" is more common.

Y'all say murked and we say bodied lol.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Here goes some more slang from the A

Box Chevy= 1983-1990 Chevy Caprice
Bubble Chevy= 1993-1996 Chevy Impala or Caprice
Donk Chevy= 1970-1978 Chevy Impala or Carprice
Fishbowl= riding without tinted windows
Bricks= housing projects or any bad apartment complex
Slab= your street (slabs are cars in other places in the south)
Straight Drop= high quality cocaine
Mount up= To put your car on the biggest sized rims possible
Up Thru There= Dont know what it means but I hear the little hoppers in my old neigborhood say it all the time
400= the police are out, ex.- "I was in Mechanicsville last night and it was str8 400" basically its another way of saying "the block is hot"
Gank= To rob someone
Mollywhoped or Dragged= To beat someone up

More to come......

Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Georgia has much slang too:

Gwap = money

Shawty = girl

coolin= chillin

ya dig= you understand

yonder= over there

bruh= bro

off da chain= wild as hell

trill= hood way of saying real

crunk= getting wild and crazy

what's good= how you doing or what's up

cool out= chill out

fa real= means really?

im bout to bounce= i'll see ya later

murked= killed or murdered

be easy= calm down or stay cool

swag= style

flexin= prepetrating
all of these in bold are bay area slang lol and trill is treal out here.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
all of these in bold are bay area slang lol and trill is treal out here.

How are you sure that they orginate in the Bay, maybe both cities just say the same thing. Kind of like how both the Bay and Atlanta dudes both rock dreadlocks (even though the Bay recently hopped on the bandwagon), but neither is unique to either city

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
I just appreciate black people overall and our creativity. we come up w/ some crazy, unique stuff wherever the region.

i'm sure some of the similiarities are from our culture overall (i.e. dreadlocks) and some from us from different regions exchanging slang and whatnot. this especially happens in college when we get black folks from all over hanging out together. i first heard hella from an oakland dude who went to my school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
How are you sure that they orginate in the Bay, maybe both cities just say the same thing. Kind of like how both the Bay and Atlanta dudes both rock dreadlocks (even though the Bay recently hopped on the bandwagon), but neither is unique to either city

Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I just appreciate black people overall and our creativity. we come up w/ some crazy, unique stuff wherever the region.

i'm sure some of the similiarities are from our culture overall (i.e. dreadlocks) and some from us from different regions exchanging slang and whatnot. this especially happens in college when we get black folks from all over hanging out together. i first heard hella from an oakland dude who went to my school.

True indeed but back in my college days, those dudes from Cali used to call us "mop heads", and Oakland cats if anything were like LA dudes rocking with the low cut Caesars and braids. Then out of nowhere I saw cats from the Bay rock locks, and I was like LOL, just 5 years ago us GA and FLA cats with dreads were mop heads, now yall running around talking about "swing your dreads" and “get hyphy” and all that. That whole movement was very, very, even suspiciously close to crunk it wasn’t funny. Bay area slang is unique I will give them that........But I think that has more to do with them "thizzin" as they call it and just saying whatever the heck pops in their mind

Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular View Post
^most if not all of those didn't "originate" or are know for bein from georgia. @cdw

a few ny terms i know because of friends that use them
"mad" = a lot.. i.e mad people outside
brick = cold
grimey = grimey
dun/dunny is specific to queens
diesel = muscular. "that dude is mad diesel"
no homo = used when u say something that sounds inadvertently gay. i.e "the UPS guy over there has a huge package...... NO HOMO"
pause = same as no homo
dollar cab = bus
snuff/snuffed = punch/punched
word = "i agree with you"
jook = burglary
son/sonning = taking ordersglgl

Ummm yes they did....if you want to be in denial just go listen to the early rap songs that came out of GA...Artists such as Kilo Ali, Lathun and Lil Jon was saying these things in the early 90's.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
dag I forgot about some of these.. we say "fa real?" so much I don't even feel like it's slang anymore!

i don't know why bu i just love the word murked. i guess cause whenever i hear it it's never to really mean murdered but usually in humor to dog somebody out like "dayumm, that one-legged boy MURKED yo ass in that foot race (and then everyone erupts in laughter at the person being joned)!!" murked just seems to capture the moment perfectly.
Some more GA slang that I forgot to speak on:

Spazzin= fussing at someone

cuttin up= acting a fool

real talk= i mean it

whatcha mean= what do you mean?

ima do me= im going to be myself

on some other s**t = LAME

I ain't feelin that= I don't like it or i dont care for it

Last edited by cdw1084; 09-10-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Some more GA slang that I forgot to speak on:

Spazzin= fussing at someone

cuttin up= acting a fool

real talk= i mean it

whatcha mean= what do you mean?

ima do me= im going to be myself

on some other s**t = LAME

Doesn't everyone say these ones though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City