Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline Competition: Downtown Miami or Los Angeles
Los Angeles 129 51.19%
Miami 123 48.81%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This poll shows how biased the users are on this site.

Should be MIA hands down. 400k people with the amount of highrises it has? Come on.

LA is the second most embarrassing skyline, just behind Phoenix.
The question is which skyline do you like better....not which city has the most impressive skyline relative to the size of its population.

LA is behind Phoenix? You are clearly very objective.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
LA has a much larger core downtown, its denser and has much more variety in both age and architecture than Miami does. Miami has alot of newer towers, most of them being condo, which is fine, but its a very linear skyline along the water for the views and beach access. LA has linear skyline growth along Wilshire from downtown to Santa Monica. Love them both....

Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Miami's skyline is hideous. It looks like one from a third world country.
Care to explain what "third world" countries? Considering most "third world" countries don't have major skylines.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 AM

14 posts, read 24,998 times
Well, to me its Miami and its not very close. It seems the consensus from non-SoCal people is thats the case too. But given that theres prob a ton of SoCal people on this site, its skewed towards LA at the moment.

LA has a decent skyline with the mountains and that one nice building they blew up in Independence Day but its nothing all that special.

Id like to see if they build all those big skyscrapers there, as I know Miami is seeing a resurgence of projects as well. But I just think LA is one of those cities where there isnt a huge incentive to build up like there is in NYC or Miami so it wont ever have a big, dense skyline.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdw85 View Post
Well, to me its Miami and its not very close. It seems the consensus from non-SoCal people is thats the case too. But given that theres prob a ton of SoCal people on this site, its skewed towards LA at the moment.

LA has a decent skyline with the mountains and that one nice building they blew up in Independence Day but its nothing all that special.

Id like to see if they build all those big skyscrapers there, as I know Miami is seeing a resurgence of projects as well. But I just think LA is one of those cities where there isnt a huge incentive to build up like there is in NYC or Miami so it wont ever have a big, dense skyline.

LA's skyline is taller and denser than Miamis in the downtown core. Miamis is very linear along the water and is made up of condo towers, for the most part. Miami is stronger at the 300-500 foot range.

The tallest building in Miami is 789 feet.
The tallest building in LA is 1018 feet and there are 8 total buildings over 700 feet. Miami has 3.
The tenth tallest in Miami is 610 feet.
The tenth tallest in LA is 699 feet.
Miami has more towers in the 300-500 foot range.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The tallest building in Miami is 789 feet.
The tallest building in LA is 1018 feet and there are 8 total buildings over 700 feet. Miami has 3.
hopefully in a couple of years when wilshire grand is built LA's new tallest might be 1,250 ft tall

there are currently 11 towers over 700ft in LA, and 3 in Miami

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
miami by a mile. la is by the ocean, miami is on the ocean

its a mini panama city

Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
miami by a mile. la is by the ocean, miami is on the ocean

its a mini panama city
And occasionally UNDER it right?

Thing I have against Miami though is this: Most of Miami's tall buildings are condos and hotels...LA's are office buildings and corprate centers. That just makes LA seem more important. Like, people don't just go to LA to party...it's actually a hub of economic activity on a scale which Miami has never known.

I have to give it to Los Angeles because of that. Condos are cool but, if a skyline is supposed to represent the status and influence of a city, then condos aren't gonna take you very far.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times
For L.A., if it really wasn't for the U.S. bank, it would look 100% plain..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
And occasionally UNDER it right?

Thing I have against Miami though is this: Most of Miami's tall buildings are condos and hotels...LA's are office buildings and corprate centers. That just makes LA seem more important. Like, people don't just go to LA to party...it's actually a hub of economic activity on a scale which Miami has never known.

I have to give it to Los Angeles because of that. Condos are cool but, if a skyline is supposed to represent the status and influence of a city, then condos aren't gonna take you very far.
Miami is not a flood prone city.
As for economic activity LA certainly has much more as it should. But Miami is no "party only" city. Downtown Miami has the largest concentration of International banks in the US. Its one of the international financial capitals of the Americas. Again LA? No, but its not just a "party skyline".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City