Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
For the most part until Dallas get a Big rapper or some body like Beyonce it will continue to fly under the radar. Wish Erykah Badu had promoted Dallas better and brought up some local talent in her prime like Houston and Atlanta.
Heck yeah, no one really knows Erykah Badu is from Dallas. She's like the hidden Gem of Texas. When people think of Texas they don't really think of Neo-Soul. They just think of the same old country stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
True but that is only a small fraction of the city. The Black community is not very large in San Antonio which is why many on here and me included will say that San Antonio currently has very little to do with the South. Maybe 30-50 years ago but not now.
I said it's ties to the south are stronger than Austin's.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Californians just add to Texas wealth. Most Californians I have met are pretty well off.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I don't think you've ever been to Eastside San Antonio. It has a much more solid black community than Austin and I definitely think it has stronger ties to the south.

All the way from the neighborhoods around the Alamodome and the AT&T center to the inner ring suburbs like Converse and Kirby. Going down MLK, Foster Rd, Eisenhower, Walzem, FM 78...you have quite a bit of black folks out that way. A lot of these areas make me think of Fort Worth.
I never knew that. All the times I went to SA I usually went to Six Flags the Riverwalk, and a Spurs game not knowing there was a large black community out in the Eastern part of the city. You learn something new everyday.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heck yeah, no one really knows Erykah Badu is from Dallas. She's like the hidden Gem of Texas. When people think of Texas they don't really think of Neo-Soul. They just think of the same old country stereotypes.

I know, right? A lot of people seem to think she's from NYC. But she stays representing South Dallas and Oak Cliff like its her job. LOL.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I never knew that. All the times I went to SA I usually went to Six Flags the Riverwalk, and a Spurs game not knowing there was a large black community out in the Eastern part of the city. You learn something new everyday.
When San Antonio truly had that southern mentality people refered to it as "SAN ANTON"

Quote:
Californians just add to Texas wealth. Most Californians I have met are pretty well off.

Keep in mind that if they had a house in Cali, more than likely, they sold the house at a profit and bought a larger house in Texas for a fraction of the price.

The Vietnamese Community in Houston has been fast-growing partially for that reason right there. Lots of them moved down from Orange County and LA, used half their equity for a house and used the other part of their equity to establish businesses.

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I know, right? A lot of people seem to think she's from NYC. But she stays representing South Dallas and Oak Cliff like its her job. LOL.
I wouldnt say all that...from what Ive heard of her, she barely even mentions DFW in her songs, which is sad really, because she could have been a pretty relevant spokesperson for Dallas/Ft. Worth

Old 09-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My family lives on Eastside San Antonio. Your focusing too much on the black community when Austin has southern influence in its white and black community. It's too centrally located to other southern cities to say its not southern at all.
Austin doesn't have that many Southern ties in it's white community. When I lived in Austin, I rarely saw any confederate flags on white people, the same way I see white people wear them here in NC and in the rest of the piedmont region.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
When San Antonio truly had that southern mentality people refered to it as "SAN ANTON"

Isn't SA known as "The Deuce and Dime" to some people? (Area code 210).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City