Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
lol.

but Dallas is still like Atlanta. A lot of the dancing material outweighs the good stuff. Houston had the problem with all the talk about grills/slabs outweighed the deep stuff that other Houston rappers talked about.
Yeah. I at least wish the good rappers that are here would get more air time (Big Tuck, Tum Tum, etc.).

Rappers are funny nowdays. Its hard to know where they stand. I saw a rapper on TV not to long ago who won an award. He got up on stage and said something to the effect "I want to thank Jesus for my hit "busting the p***y open", Thank you Jesus!". There are alot contraditctions on the rap scene.

At least with the blasphemic, anti-religion, gorey, death metal that I listen to, you know exactly what they stand for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Yeah. I at least wish the good rappers that are here would get more air time (Big Tuck, Tum Tum, etc.).

Rappers are funny nowdays. Its hard to know where they stand. I saw a rapper on TV not to long ago who won an award. He got up on stage and said something to the effect "I want to thank Jesus for my hit "busting the p***y open", Thank you Jesus!". There are alot contraditctions on the rap scene.

At least with the blasphemic, anti-religion, gorey, death metal that I listen to, you know exactly what they stand for.
Man you alright with me....Big Tuck should have been big time a long time ago... He does represent true hip hop in the DFW...Exspecially his old joints. " You can't see me" & " Southside the Realest" man are instant classics. Crazy how the H-Town rappers made it big and Big Tuck and Tum Tum still have yet to get that national exposure like H-Town rappers did.

I am thinking since DFW is getting ready to host the Super Bowl that the Hip Hop Scene in Dallas will take full advantage of the national exposure to the region and show case there talents.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenise View Post
dallas didnt copy atl with that dancin ****. dallas boogie started early in like 02 03 as a hood dance in the east.. now its just getting known. we just not on that dancing ****. we have good rappers like mr. lucci, mr. pookie, big chief, yound nino and hot boy star, etc. franky, mr. hit that hoe, etc. is just club music that we can gigg to.
That is very true and generally people in Dallas like to party and dance while Houston take more laid back approach. If you into dancing and partying Dallas is the place but don't be mistaken Dallas has its fair of the hardcore rappers. For people that go to clubs that like to relax, socialize, chopped and screwed up defintely H-Town has that on lock. I think that super bowl weekend a lot of out of towners are going to be shocked at how D-Town and Funky Town people get down in the clubs. Its quite a site to see Dallas peeps vs. Fort Worth peeps in the club. All the celebs & Out of towners will collide on the DFW.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Dallas: All style and flash and little substance. The new stadium is a metaphor for the whole city.

Houston: Substance, but very little style.

Basically, if you like a bland, suburban lifestyle where The Cheesecake Factory is considered fine dining by the vast majority of the populace, the Dallas suburbs are the perfect places for you. Houston has better dining options.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 10-14-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas: All style and flash and little substance. The new stadium is a metaphor for the whole city.

Houston: Substance, but very little style
I think thats about right. However, I would say that our neighbor to the west (Fort Worth) has a good combination of style and substance.

Your right about Dallas (glitzy and plastic, but beautiful and clean) and Houston (grity and grimy, but with character) I think. If I had to use a metaphor it would be this:

Dallas was the popular cheerleader in high school that could have any guy she wanted. However, she was ditzy, shallow, and cared only about appearance. She ended up being a useless trophy wife.

Houston was the chubby girl that was kind of cute if you got to know her. She had a good personality but never got attention from guys. She was non assuming and would be friends with anyone. She ended up being a lesbian.

Fort Worth was the friendly girl with lots of character, but was plain looking. She had lots of guy friends, but only a handful of boyfriends. She ended up marrying her best friend and is now the happiest.

Austin was the girl who thought she was popular. She would immitate Dallas and deny it the whole time. She was fake but tried to convence everyone she was real. She (like Dallas) was very pretty on the outside, but was a walking contradiction. She ended up staying single because she though no one was good enough for her.

San Antonio: see Fort Worth.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
I think thats about right. However, I would say that our neighbor to the west (Fort Worth) has a good combination of style and substance.

Your right about Dallas (glitzy and plastic, but beautiful and clean) and Houston (grity and grimy, but with character) I think. If I had to use a metaphor it would be this:

Dallas was the popular cheerleader in high school that could have any guy she wanted. However, she was ditzy, shallow, and cared only about appearance. She ended up being a useless trophy wife.

Houston was the chubby girl that was kind of cute if you got to know her. She had a good personality but never got attention from guys. She was non assuming and would be friends with anyone. She ended up being a lesbian.

Fort Worth was the friendly girl with lots of character, but was plain looking. She had lots of guy friends, but only a handful of boyfriends. She ended up marrying her best friend and is now the happiest.

Austin was the girl who thought she was popular. She would immitate Dallas and deny it the whole time. She was fake but tried to convence everyone she was real. She (like Dallas) was very pretty on the outside, but was a walking contradiction. She ended up staying single because she though no one was good enough for her.

Great metaphors. I can certainly agree.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

WOW Nice terminology

Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Man you alright with me....Big Tuck should have been big time a long time ago... He does represent true hip hop in the DFW...Exspecially his old joints. " You can't see me" & " Southside the Realest" man are instant classics. Crazy how the H-Town rappers made it big and Big Tuck and Tum Tum still have yet to get that national exposure like H-Town rappers did.

I am thinking since DFW is getting ready to host the Super Bowl that the Hip Hop Scene in Dallas will take full advantage of the national exposure to the region and show case there talents.

That's because Big Tuck and Tum Tum are in a word, garbage. That entire DSR crew bit Houston's style. They are terrible lyricists with mediocre flow and subpar content. They are just not very good. I know there is real hip hop. Sadly, the best ever to come from Dallas was in a car crash. Dallas has talent. But that talent does not consist of Big Tuck and especially Tum Tum.

Oh and Houston rappers are significantly better than Dallas rappers. It isn't even close.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's because Big Tuck and Tum Tum are in a word, garbage. That entire DSR crew bit Houston's style. They are terrible lyricists with mediocre flow and subpar content. They are just not very good. I know there is real hip hop. Sadly, the best ever to come from Dallas was in a car crash. Dallas has talent. But that talent does not consist of Big Tuck and especially Tum Tum.

Oh and Houston rappers are significantly better than Dallas rappers. It isn't even close.
Really and Mike Jones aint garbage !!! H-Town rappers are not significantly better than Dallas rappers but they are better that I agree on. For the most part southern hip hop sucks but it sales. I never would have thought a song called "Stanky Leg" would be a big hit but it is. It shows just how mediocre the rap game is now.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Thats a little extreme. Big Tuck and Tum Tum arent the best rappers out there, but they arent bad. For Dallas theyre pretty good.

Houston does have better rappers, but most of the rappers I know from Houston also suck. Mike Jones comes to mind. Dont tell me it required any talent whatsoever to slow down a record (Chopped and Screwed) and have the same song only slower and call it a remix.

The bottom line is it requires no talent to rap nowdays. Now Metal and Jazz, those genres require talent for the instruments even if it doesnt take talent to sing in a metal band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City