Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
NO. It doesn't. You're going to have to show me other than it's basketball or Yao Ming plays for them. You cannot sit there and say that the Rockets are more popular than the Cowboys when the Cowboys are more lucrative, more popular, a bigger and more established brand, a far longer winning tradition, a popular and recognized logo, etc. The Rockets do not compare. I'm sorry.
I don't know how you can say the Rockets don't compare. There was just a new list on the most valuable sports franchises, or sports franchises that have increased the most in value this decade, and the Rockets were in the top 5, IIRC. It came out in December.

And you'd be surprised at how one person can help a sports franchise so much. Especially someone like Yao Ming.

Besides, what exactly do you mean, long winning tradition? Like the Rockets don't have a history of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No it isn't. How do you have an unincorporated city anyway?
It means the city isn't apart of a Municipality.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I don't know how you can say the Rockets don't compare. There was just a new list on the most valuable sports franchises, or sports franchises that have increased the most in value this decade, and the Rockets were in the top 5, IIRC. It came out in December.

So the Rockets are in the top 5 in sports franchises that have increased the most in value in decade? That's nice. They are still aren't close.
The 2nd most valuable franchise in the WORLD is the Dallas Cowboys.
The 4th largest brand in the WORLD is the Dallas Cowboys.
The wealthiest team in it's respective league is the Dallas Cowboys.

Quote:
And you'd be surprised at how one person can help a sports franchise so much. Especially someone like Yao Ming.

That's great. But if Yao Ming was traded, do you think those people will care about the Houston Rockets? Most likely not.
Quote:
Besides, what exactly do you mean, long winning tradition? Like the Rockets don't have a history of winning.
Never said they didn't. It just doesn't touch the Cowboys long winning tradition just like the Cowboys do not touch the Yankees long winning tradition. That does not mean the Cowboys do not have a long winning tradition. Just the way it is.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
You know all that value comes from the stadium, right?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
You know all that value comes from the stadium, right?
yes I do know that.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Big deal. You have the Dallas Cowboys. Houston has the Houston Rockets. Which is the larger brand worldwide? Which one do more people know about? Houston is about as good of a sports town as Dallas. Those that say Dallas is much better (with better fans) are seriously kidding themselves.
OMG you comparing the Rockets to the Dallas Cowboys.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
The Rockets do have a long winning tradition, only the Utah Jazz have had less seasons with a losing record. The Rockets have had a winning record in all but 3 of their seasons, the NBA's second best.

Sure the Dallas Cowboys are valuablue, at number 2 worldwide, but its not like none of the Houston sports franchises aren't worth much, the Houston Texans are moving up as well, at number 10 worldwide.
2010 World's Most Valuable Sports Franchises | MoonDog Sports

Im not sure if being a valuable sports franchise is enough to be instantly recognizable, if that were the case we should know all about Manchester United, even more valuable than the Cowboys. Remember that the world doesn't really care for american football, soccer is the world's sport, not football, so just because the Cowboys are popular in the US, we shouldnt assume that everybody outside of the US know about it.

I mean really, do you think that the average american knows about Manchester United, so why should the average global person know about the Dallas Cowboys?

Im not arguing that its not known or popular, because it is, but step off the high horse, not everyone is aware of them. And if a nation of 1 billion+(CN), and a nation of 300 million+(USA), and assuming that the rest of the people that keep track of the Rockets in the world, say 100 million, I'd say that you have quite the following. With that said, I think the Dallas Cowboys are the more known organization, simply because they know the brand, while with the Rockets, they know the player, and not necessairaly the brand.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
WikiAnswers - What is the most famous NFL team

Why the NFL is the Most Popular Sport in America | Bleacher Report

Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry. I'm looking at ALL sports. The DFW holds more sports year round than Houston. They host one of the greatest college football rivalries ever. They host an up and coming horse track and Texas only NASCAR track.
D/FW may have its redneck fueled NASCAR track way out in the boonies, but Houston hosted the Texaco Grand Prix in its downtown for 4 years in a row (how cool is that?), then 2 more years at Reliant Stadium!

Baytown, which is just east of Houston hosts annual NHRA drag racing events.

Houston also has a horse race track.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Texas Rangers is not a Dallas team!
I like their name, they can properly represent Forth Worth AND Dallas.

Every other team is Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Cowboys, FC Dallas, Dallas Stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City