Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is best overall in the given categories?
Northeast 54 34.39%
South 44 28.03%
Midwest 20 12.74%
West 39 24.84%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Manhattan isn't a city, it's a section of a city. It isn't the same story throughout the New York metropolitan area...it's is still a car-dependent city like the rest of the U.S.
bull.

nobody i know knows how to drive. my grandma was 65 or so before she got her license.

queens, brooklyn, the bronx, manhattan and staten island make up nyc. i can't speak for staten but the rest of us rely on public transportation all day every day. nyc is not a car dependent city whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree, public transit only works where its available, not everyone stays in NYC within reach of a bus, train, etc. what if you want to go somewhere like a mall somewhere outside of NYC where mass transit would be a burden or non-existent. I live in Queens and its a burden not having a car (that'll change soon though).
you live in a far out part of queens tho. and you still rely on public transporation. you take the bus to take the train, right?

most of us in queens and in nyc in general live in areas (within a few blocks max) serviced by the subway...those that live in areas without subway access are the minority. those areas are also serviced by alternative methods of public transportation such as the bus or the lirr or metro north. so again, nyc is not a car dependent city. its a public transporation dependent city.

and to get anywhere worthwhile you're still going to end up taking the train.

also there's not really a point in going to the mall when you can just go downtown. but you live in a different area of queens than i do so it's different...

i really wish they would add more stops for your area tho. its unacceptable IMHO. they have lines that don't even really matter (ok so i don't ride the J like that so me saying something like the Z is pointless may tick ppl off but why not extend the Z further into queens for example and make it a line ppl actually use).

Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you live in a far out part of queens tho. and you still rely on public transporation. you take the bus to take the train, right?

most of us in queens and in nyc in general live in areas (within a few blocks max) serviced by the subway...those that live in areas without subway access are the minority. those areas are also serviced by alternative methods of public transportation such as the bus or the lirr or metro north. so again, nyc is not a car dependent city. its a public transporation dependent city.

and to get anywhere worthwhile you're still going to end up taking the train.

also there's not really a point in going to the mall when you can just go downtown. but you live in a different area of queens than i do so it's different...

i really wish they would add more stops for your area tho. its unacceptable IMHO. they have lines that don't even really matter (ok so i don't ride the J like that so me saying something like the Z is pointless my **** ppl off but why not extend the Z further into queens for example and make it a line ppl actually use).
I don't use the subway, I have an hour commute (each way) on 2 buses. My area is served by the bus and the LIRR (which is far better than the subway IMO). It would take me 30 minutes just to get to the E-train lol.

Yeah its different depending on what part because you can just hop on the train for $2 and be in Manhattan in less than an hour whereas its a 20-30 minute drive to Roosevelt Field or a 5-10 minute drive to Green Acres, I also just prefer Malls.

Also to be able to go places such as Six Flags, Dorney Park, Hersheypark, Long Island Beaches, Jersey Shore, Philly, DC, etc. wouldn't work well with public transportation.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
Manhattan isn't a city, it's a section of a city. It isn't the same story throughout the New York metropolitan area...it's is still a car-dependent city like the rest of the U.S.
You haven't traveled in the U.S. much have you? NYC is in no way as car-dependent as 99% of the U.S. Where I grew up, you must have a car. No if's, and's, or but's, especially if you have a job, want to go out to eat, go to a store, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
They're below the I-70, so you're either going to have to take them or offer them to the West.
Below I-70? Nebraska is completely north of I-70 and it runs through the middle of Kansas.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
When I was single and first moved to Queens, I lived right on Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst. The subway station was literally right in front of my building. It took me about 25 minutes to get into Manhattan for work. There was a supermarket about 3 blocks away, and many restaurants in that area. Queens Center Mall was also about 3 blocks away. I was able to walk anywhere for anything I needed. My building did not even have a gararge. If I even wanted to own a car, and I didn't even know how to drive when I was in my 20s, where in the world would I park it? At a meter on Queens Blvd.????????

No, NYC is not a car oriented city, even the other boroughs. If you say that it is, you have never lived there.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

mta.info | Subway Map

As you can see from the above, there is no area that isn't serviced by some mass transit. You might actually have to WALK to take a bus, but it is not outright impossible to go from place to place.

It is not "my" personal preference, either. If it were, all the buses and subway would be empty.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Again, you do realize that your situation is not indicative of the lifestyles of most residents in the NYC metro area? It's still a car-oriented city, just like every other U.S. city. A higher percentage of residents use transit, but the majority still drive.
The majority do not drive in NYC. There are a few parts of the outer areas of Queens and Brooklyn where a majority drive, and in Staten Island a majority of people drive; but all of those people are still hugely a minority in NYC.

Now, the majority of people in the NYC METRO area do drive. That would include Long Island, Northern NJ, Rockland/Orange/Westchester counties, and fairfield county CT.

But in NYC itself it is a tiny percentage of people who drive (let alone even have a car).

Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM
eek

even if we were talking about metros, i'd bet everything in my bank account that the nyc metro area is the least car dependent metro area in the u.s. for the fact that many ppl DO rely on trains to get here from other cities. the path train, metro north, the lirr, long island buses and amtrak anyone??

Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
I don't see the pride in that. The culture of public transportation is sickening and I will never place it above the freedom of my own car. I will drive everywhere until the day I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City