Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is best overall in the given categories?
Northeast 54 34.39%
South 44 28.03%
Midwest 20 12.74%
West 39 24.84%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

The NE hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
In reference to food, all of what you mention is international cuisine, which really just proves that areas like the Northeast don't really have an independent cuisine, but instead just borrow from immigrants.
Ever heard of a New England Clam Bake? Maryland Crab Cakes? Philly Cheesesteak? New York-Style Pizza? (Yea I know pizza comes from Italy, but NYC-style is pretty distinct) Buffalo Wings? New England Clam Chowder, Manhattan Clam Chowder...here's a list of food originating in NYC. Yea a lot of the food in the Northeast is from immigrants, but to say we don't have any independent food is a little ridiculous.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, Southern cuisine is "American" cuisine. If someone were to make a list of American foods, pizza and sushi wouldn't really be up for consideration. Obviously what type of food one prefers is simply a matter of opinion. I myself love pizza and NJ and NY have great Italian food, but for an overall American cuisine with great variety and taste, Southern cooking is unparalleled.
With all due respect...when did the OP ever ask who had the best American food? The top restaurant cities of the world are celebrated due to their fine foods and the diversity of offerings. If you prefer Southern-style food to what's offered up North, that's fine...but the variety up North blows away the South (I was shocked by the fact that no one seemed to know what Linguica was while I was at Clemson).

Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
With all due respect...when did the OP ever ask who had the best American food? The top restaurant cities of the world are celebrated due to their fine foods and the diversity of offerings. If you prefer Southern-style food to what's offered up North, that's fine...but the variety up North blows away the South (I was shocked by the fact that no one seemed to know what Linguica was while I was at Clemson).
I bet that many southerners would be shocked at your ignorance of some southern foods as well.

And why would most people be familiar with linguica? Is everyone in the world expected to be familar with a food that is only popular in a very small area of the world?
Quote:
Outside of Portugal and Brazil, linguiça is also popular in Southeastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, and Okinawa
Without real knowledge of southern cuisine, I really don't think you can make a statement like "...but the variety up North blows away the South". You may have attained your education in the South, but that certainly doesn't mean that you're educated about the South.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I bet that many southerners would be shocked at your ignorance of some southern foods as well. And why would most people be familiar with linguica? Is everyone in the world expected to be familar with a food that is only popular in a very small area of the world?
I suppose most people I know from the Northeast have been familiar with Linguica, so therefore it's surprising when you meet others who don't know about it. Similar to the reaction I got when I told my ex-girlfriend that I didn't know what a hushpuppy was.

Quote:
Without real knowledge of southern cuisine, I really don't think you can make a statement like "...but the variety up North blows away the South".
From my experience, the Northeast had a greater variety of food. I know there's more to the South than fried chicken and pulled pork, but I've experienced more variety in the Northeast.

But as you said down here \/ maybe I just haven't experienced enough.

Quote:
You may have attained your education in the South, but that certainly doesn't mean that you're educated about the South.
You're right. I walked around with my eyes closed and ears plugged the entire time I was there.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Lingucia is pretty popular on the west coast also. You can pretty much find it on any brekfeast menu. Its just not a northeast thing, California also has a pretty big Portuguese population and we have a pretty big Hawaiian population compared to other states. There are about 5 Hawiian bbq spots by my house that all sell it in a musabi (wrapped in a block of rice with seaweed)

Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Before you get red in the face, this isn't thread to further split up ideals on the north and south. This is just a thread to see which region of the country is best just by C-D forumers.....

We should have our own personal civil war on this forum.
NOT the kind of war we had back in the 1860's, but "war" of which region is best overall in these 7 common categories....

- Best group of skylines
haven't decided

Quote:
- Best Food
not even a question...the south without a doubt

Quote:
- Best weather
the south

Quote:
- Best transportation (traffic and rail systems)
the northeast

Quote:
- Best in sports
the south

Quote:
- Best culture
the south has the best regional culture, but new york has the best culture

Quote:
- Best cities
for people, the south; cities themselves, the northeast

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:

You're right. I walked around with my eyes closed and ears plugged the entire time I was there.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions...it comes across loud and clear in your posts about the South.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM

306 posts, read 475,902 times
Midwest Love.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
First off, since it seems that nearly all your posts show an extreme disdain for the NE and extreme affection for the South, how is it that you even managed to end up in New Jersey? Personally, I would never even consider living in someplace I hate so much, I don't care how much they paid me.

Now in regard to your post, while we obviously have polar opposite opinions on the South, politics, and basically everything else, I find your fourth paragraaph interesting because I don't see the rationale behind it. What exactly is wrong with public transportation? In my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the negatives, especially when it's done right like in New York or DC. Can you actually imagine Manhattan without the Subway?

Unfortunately (to me), the vast majority of the South shares your opinion on mass transit, which is why Atlanta is the only city with a (lightly used) rail transit system (outside of FL and TX). Car dependendency is not a good thing, as it encourages sprawl, increases our dependency on foreign oil, and is harmful to the environment (smog and global warming), but I'm sure you've heard these arguments before.
It has absolutely nothing to do with money. I would be a far better financial position if I left. To answer your question, I was raised here; born in Illinois, moved to New Jersey when I was only a few months old, so obviously I had no say in the matter. The past few years (I'm only 23) I've been working up here. I don't understand why this intrigues you so...

My rationale is essentially that I enjoy driving, physically and mentally, I find driving very convenient and public transportation a crowding, confining hassle, and that's pretty much the extent of my opinion. I'm just not a public transport guy. I grew up in the suburbs so I never had to take the bus/the train when I was a kid as my parents drove everywhere. When I was of age I bought a car and ever since then I drive everywhere and truly don't mind. I live 1/2 hour out of NYC, and every time I have gone into the city, be it Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, or Staten Island, I have always driven. Sure, traffic's a killer but I have driven in almost every type of situation/terrain/area imaginable and I don't find it that bothersome. I find public transportation largely unpleasant, and I have been to Europe where it's actually more efficient than the U.S. Just not my cup of tea. I have heard all the arguments before, but I favor offshore drilling within U.S. territory (Alaska, Texas, etc.) and an eventual transition to a more renewable energy source for the betterment of private transportation. Until then, I don't mind doing business with certain nations (Saudi Arabia), but some I take issue with (Venezuela).

The fact that the South outside of the major metro areas would probably be the region that would last acquiesce to transforming into a society built on extensive public transportation only increases my opinion of that beautiful region.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Ever heard of a New England Clam Bake? Maryland Crab Cakes? Philly Cheesesteak? New York-Style Pizza? (Yea I know pizza comes from Italy, but NYC-style is pretty distinct) Buffalo Wings? New England Clam Chowder, Manhattan Clam Chowder...here's a list of food originating in NYC. Yea a lot of the food in the Northeast is from immigrants, but to say we don't have any independent food is a little ridiculous.

Yes, I'll give you that there are some foods native to the Northeastern U.S., so to say there are none is a bit of extreme hyperbole. I like clam chowder (New England clam chowder; Manhattan clam chowder is overrated), but the point is that most of the food in the Northeast is borrowed whereas most Southern food is American.

To address your second question, that was never asked in the original post, but we are in America, and since I believe that enjoying food native to one's own country is always a better alternative than turning the U.S. into a Super 8 for immigrants, I think it's an important aspect. The South has its own cuisine, unique to the region. You can't get better Southern food anywhere but in the Southern U.S. Whereas, if you went to Rome (I did), I'm sure you could get pizza just as good or better than in NYC (I did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City