Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is best overall in the given categories?
Northeast 54 34.39%
South 44 28.03%
Midwest 20 12.74%
West 39 24.84%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
The thing is that I do know a lot about it, and most other transit systems in the US (as you saw in my post above). I've never ridden it, but I was simply talking about ridership. I probably should have been more specific instead of simply saying "lightly," but once again I meant that it is underutilized and has low-ridership compared to other multi-line, heavy rail systems in the Northeast and elsewhere and that it failed to transform Atlanta from a car-dependent city. Please feel free to tell me which part of this is incorrect.

Only one sentence in my entire post about MARTA was hearsay. If you want I can post ridership and other statistics.

The DC (WMATA) Metro isa Northeastern transit system. I consider DC, MD, and the suburban/urban counties in NoVa to be part of the NE (although VA is decidedly Southern), but that is I guess a difference of opinion that's been discussed in many other threads. Baltimore (MTA Metro-Subway, MTA Light Rail, and MARC) and Newark (PATH, NJT Commuter Rail, Newark Light Rail), also have systems.
1. MARTA ridership: 250,000 riders/day

2. Every American city is car-dependent. That's the part of your sentence that you aren't saying.

3. You may consider D.C. to be Northeastern, but no one else does - including the Census Bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default NYC is not car dependent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

2. Every American city is car-dependent. That's the part of your sentence that you aren't saying.

3. You may consider D.C. to be Northeastern, but no one else does - including the Census Bureau.
especially Manhattan. It is BURDEN to own a car in Manhattan.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
especially Manhattan. It is BURDEN to own a car in Manhattan.
Manhattan isn't a city, it's a section of a city. It isn't the same story throughout the New York metropolitan area...it's is still a car-dependent city like the rest of the U.S.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Default I lived in Queens for 10 years

Quote:
Manhattan isn't a city, it's a section of a city. It isn't the same story throughout the New York metropolitan area...it's is still a car-dependent city like the rest of the U.S.
Yeah, I learned to drive while living there, but most times I left the car parked in the driveway and WALKED. lol I did a LOT of walking when I lived in Queens. Driving was absurd. Try driving round and round and round for 45 minutes trying to find a parking space. OR taking bus after bus and waiting and waiting for it come. I found I could walk there faster.

My daughter's school was just under the limit for a bus. I WALKED her back and forth to school everyday. No, I didn't drive her. Driving was a NIGHTMARE in Queens. My husband used to complain that I had a brand new car and all it did was sit in the driveway.

Driving as horrible, and mass transporation not much better.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yeah, I learned to drive while living there, but most times I left the car parked in the driveway and WALKED. lol I did a LOT of walking when I lived in Queens. Driving was absurd. Try driving round and round and round for 45 minutes trying to find a parking space. OR taking bus after bus and waiting and waiting for it come. I found I could walk there faster.

My daughter's school was just under the limit for a bus. I WALKED her back and forth to school everyday. No, I didn't drive her. Driving was a NIGHTMARE in Queens. My husband used to complain that I had a brand new car and all it did was sit in the driveway.

Driving as horrible, and mass transporation not much better.
Again, you do realize that your situation is not indicative of the lifestyles of most residents in the NYC metro area? It's still a car-oriented city, just like every other U.S. city. A higher percentage of residents use transit, but the majority still drive.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times
Nebraska is a midwestern state, with just the four standard regions Kansas would also be midwestern.

Replying to recent post

Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Again, you do realize that your situation is not indicative of the lifestyles of most residents in the NYC metro area? It's still a car-oriented city, just like every other U.S. city. A higher percentage of residents use transit, but the majority still drive.

Actually, having a car is more of a burden in most of NYC. I had a car in Queens and it was a real pain trying to park it. It isn't fun driving anywhere in the city. Most people don't own cars. It isn't a car-oriented city at all. It has the best mass transit in the country; there's a reason for that-- not many people own cars. You never lived in NYC, so how can you say it's car oriented?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Quote:

1. Yeah, I knew that a long while back....

2. Well yeah, I meant relative to other cities, in this case the NE. You won't find a city in this country (except maybe NYC) where most people don't drive. Look at the quote I posted from Forbes.

3. This has been debated to no end, but I'll just say this:
-The vast majority of DC residents (well over 80%) count it as Northeastern according to a UNC Center for the South poll taken 15-20 years ago (a modern poll would probably be closer to unanimous). An (obviously unscientific) poll carried out on this board with a significant number of responses came to the same conclusion.
-Virtually every government agency and private organization except for the CB (which uses the Old South definition prior to the Civil War, which I would agree DC falls under), classifies DC (and MD/DE) as NE or Mid-Atlantic.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Default No it is a NIGHTMARE

Quote:
driving in NYC, especially MANHATTAN, where even the COST is prohibiitive. Ever hear of alternative side of the street parking????? You want to own a car and have to move it every day? You know what the cost is to put a car in a parking garage?

NYC is NOT car oriented. The SUBURBS, yes. Inside the city, NO.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
I agree, public transit only works where its available, not everyone stays in NYC within reach of a bus, train, etc. what if you want to go somewhere like a mall somewhere outside of NYC where mass transit would be a burden or non-existent. I live in Queens and its a burden not having a car (that'll change soon though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City