Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is best overall in the given categories?
Northeast 54 34.39%
South 44 28.03%
Midwest 20 12.74%
West 39 24.84%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Definitely the western half of PA. NY not at all. It only touches Lake Ontario.
and Erie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
As a native midwesterner, the only states I consider to be midwest are the Great Lakes states. Everything else is far too far west or south.
Well as an American I think your wrong on this one. Most people consider Missouri, Iowa, The Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska part of the Midwest. Never heard touching a Great Lake was a membership requirement!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well as an American I think your wrong on this one. Most people consider Missouri, Iowa, The Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska part of the Midwest. Never heard touching a Great Lake was a membership requirement!
All I can tell you is, as someone born and raised in Chicagoland those states are totally alien to me. I know Michigan, Ohio and Indiana very well; MN not so much. The culture of that particular region bears many similarities, and it changes rapidly.

Kansas, though, totally confuses me. It's nowhere near the midwest. It's so far west and south.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
All I can tell you is, as someone born and raised in Chicagoland those states are totally alien to me. I know Michigan, Ohio and Indiana very well; MN not so much. The culture of that particular region bears many similarities, and it changes rapidly.

Kansas, though, totally confuses me. It's nowhere near the midwest. It's so far west and south.
So can you tell us to which region states like Kansas and Nebraska belong? Keep in mind that the U.S. is divided into four regions: Northeast, Midwest, South, and West.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So can you tell us to which region states like Kansas and Nebraska belong? Keep in mind that the U.S. is divided into four regions: Northeast, Midwest, South, and West.
Kansas can go to the South, and I guess we'll have to keep Nebraska.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Kansas can go to the South, and I guess we'll have to keep Nebraska.
The South declines your offer...thank you.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
I think you could make a small argument that Kansas and Nebraska could be included in the Mountain West....though neither state has mountains haha.

I think Mountain West could include: Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Idaho, Nebraska, and Kansas.

Maybe?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The South declines your offer...thank you.
They're below the I-70, so you're either going to have to take them or offer them to the West.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
Kansas is definitely not part of the South. Go visit Kansas, then come on down and no one will have to tell you why. Of course the best region is the South. How could there even be a question? It is the only region of the country that is so unique in its culture, history, and people. We are not bland, overbearing, or tasteless. The best writers America has ever seen, the roots of rock and roll (Elvis, Little Richard, etc. etc.), country music, jazz, creole food, cajun food, corn bread, and Alabama college football all come from the South. Yes, the Northeast has better transportation systems, but in the South we are not overcrowded enough to need a transportation system in most of our cities. There is just no comparision. The Midwest might be the closest to us in being united in their culture.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
Quote:
The bottom line is...why must people criticize and/or pretend to know about things that they very obviously don't know about? There is really no reason for you to try and discuss a transit system that you aren't familiar with other than through hearsay.

The D.C. Metro is not a Northeastern U.S. transit system, I'm sorry to tell you. If anything, it isn't part of a region at all. The Northeast U.S. has 3 cities with heavy-use rail systems in place: Philly, NYC, and Boston. The South has only 1 city, but several with expanding systems.
The thing is that I do know a lot about it, and most other transit systems in the US (as you saw in my post above). I've never ridden it, but I was simply talking about ridership. I probably should have been more specific instead of simply saying "lightly," but once again I meant that it is underutilized and has low-ridership compared to other multi-line, heavy rail systems in the Northeast and elsewhere and that it failed to transform Atlanta from a car-dependent city. Please feel free to tell me which part of this is incorrect.

Only one sentence in my entire post about MARTA was hearsay. If you want I can post ridership and other statistics.

The DC (WMATA) Metro isa Northeastern transit system. I consider DC, MD, and the suburban/urban counties in NoVa to be part of the NE (although VA is decidedly Southern), but that is I guess a difference of opinion that's been discussed in many other threads. Baltimore (MTA Metro-Subway, MTA Light Rail, and MARC) and Newark (PATH, NJT Commuter Rail, Newark Light Rail), also have systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City