Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is best overall in the given categories?
Northeast 54 34.39%
South 44 28.03%
Midwest 20 12.74%
West 39 24.84%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Yet you call Alaska and Hawaii west??
. . . . . Yeah.

D.C. is Northeast

And the only reason why I see Oklahoma as more of a Midwestern city than a southern city is because of the people I've been around. I live just about 100 miles south of the state and I've almost never met anyone who called the state "southern".
Besides, it doesn't even feel like a southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Has to be northeast, no way is it southern.
I guess that is why we are all allowed our own opinions.

Many of the things mentioned by those backing the NE are things that some people could do completely without.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Did we have a war and lose a few states?

Edit: just noticed New England which should cover 6?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I guess that is why we are all allowed our own opinions.

Many of the things mentioned by those backing the NE are things that some people could do completely without.
I believe he was responding to me asking who gets to claim Washington DC.

And yes, New England would cover 6 states.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
. . . . . Yeah.

D.C. is Northeast

And the only reason why I see Oklahoma as more of a Midwestern city than a southern city is because of the people I've been around. I live just about 100 miles south of the state and I've almost never met anyone who called the state "southern".
Besides, it doesn't even feel like a southern state.
Interesting perspective. I've never heard a Texan refer to Oklahoma as a Midwestern state (oddly enough I did hear 2 Californians call Oklahoma AND Texas Midwestern). I'm from southern Oklahoma and I now live in DFW. I think you could make a VERY strong case that in many ways Oklahoma has retained stronger ties to Southern culture than at least DFW (certainly not east Texas where Southern culture is still very much alive and well), which is so heavily populated by Yankee transplants and the like.

I was just back in Oklahoma last week and trust me, at least in terms of dialect/speech, there is a considerable higher Southerness to the speech in the majority of Oklahoma than at least Dallas/Fort Worth, which of course, is a huge conglomeration of cities. I think you here more Southern dialect the closer you get to the Oklahoma line, ha! Hence, if you were going to throw Oklahoma in the Midwest you would likely have to put Texas in there too unless you were going on a purely historical perspective (even then Oklahoma passes the test as it was overwhelmingly a Confederate territory). Go to tried&true Midwestern states like Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and you would get laughed at calling Oklahoma part of the Midwest.

You're assessment is also at odds with the Census' view of Oklahoma's culture....Oklahoma is placed in the West South Central along with Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana: File:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. ....not to mention the Native Americans in Oklahoma Territory overwhelmingly sided with the Confederate Army against the North. Did you know that the last stand of Confederates was on Oklahoma soil, lead by Native American General Stand Watie (Stand Watie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)? Unlike other "border" states such as West Virginia and Kentucky, Oklahoma was never on the fence....it overwhelmingly sided with the South and was settled by Southerners.

You, of course, are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just wanted to point out that your view doesn't completely mesh with historical and cultural norms consistent in Oklahoma. But, as I said, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Blessings.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 12-29-2009 at 06:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Best group of skylines- Northeast

- Best Food - Northeast, followed by the West. The south is dead last.

- Best weather - The West

- Best transportation (traffic and rail systems) Northeast

- Best in sports - Northeast

- Best culture - Overall, the Northeast, but there are great finds all over the country

- Best cities - Northeast in a landslide

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I believe he was responding to me asking who gets to claim Washington DC.

And yes, New England would cover 6 states.
I was just counting the states and didn't notice he grouped NE.
I got up to 45 and wondered where the others went.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:

- Best group of skylines

- Best Food

- Best weather

- Best transportation (traffic and rail systems)

- Best in sports

- Best culture

- Best cities

And instead of this being a "war" between the north and south, we're gonna make this a nation wide thing. It's the Northeast vs. South vs. Midwest vs. West.
Best Skylines: The Northeast

Best Food: The South

Best Weather: The West

Best Transportation: The Northeast

Best Sports: The Midwest

Best Culture*: The Northeast (museums, arts, orchestras, etc)

Best Cities: The Northeast

Here is a couple more

Best Regional Culture*: The South (Texas, New Orleans, Miami etc)

Best Scenery: The West

Best History: The Northeast

Best People: The Midwest

Conclusion: What a great country!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Best group of skylines- Northeast

- Best Food - Northeast, followed by the West. The south is dead last.

- Best weather - The West

- Best transportation (traffic and rail systems) Northeast

- Best in sports - Northeast

- Best culture - Overall, the Northeast, but there are great finds all over the country

- Best cities - Northeast in a landslide
Except for the Southern food thing, you nailed it completely! (I LIKE Southern cuisine!)

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
- Best group of skylines

- Best Food

- Best weather

- Best transportation (traffic and rail systems)

- Best in sports

- Best culture

- Best cities
Northeast States (New England, NY, Penn, Jersey, Delaware, Maryland)

Southern States (the Virginias, the Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, Tenn, Kentucky, Miss, 'Bama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas)

Midwest States (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Oklahoma)

Western States (New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Wyomming, Idaho, Montana, Cali, Nevada, Oregon, Washington,Utah, Hawaii, Alaska)
This is too hard to answer and give one region superiority, so I have it grouped according to my personal opinion:

Best group of skylines? The NE wins... Between NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc, no other region comes close. Id put the Midwest in 2nd with Detroit, Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee, etc. Id put a tie between the West and South because they have an equal amount of good, and garbage skylines. THe good are Seattle, San Fran, Atlanta, Miami, etc. The garbage are Phoenix, Birmingham, etc.

Best food? NE wins here again, only because of the immense variety of cultures, availability of fresh food, etc. The South would come in 2nd, and Id give a 3rd place tie to the West and Midwest.

Best weather? This one is hard. I give the West only a slight lead over everyone else. Why? Because even though most of the West has pretty decent weather, some areas have some of the absolute worst, IMO. Places like Seattle are far too gloomy, places like Yuma are far too repetetive and ridiculously hot. Then places in the West are too snowy for too long and horribly cold (ie Montana). The West's only saving graces are cities like San Diego and Albuquerque who enjoy great weather, with little or no natural disasters, etc. But then again places like CA also get ridiculous amounts of natural disasters, which makes me want to put the West lower on the rankings. 2nd place goes to the NE. Dont laugh. Overall temps are not that bad, and natural disasters are few and far between. THe Midwest comes in 3rd place here. The area is so large that you can experience bitter winters (ie ND) and mild winters (ie Southern IL, MO, etc), dry air (SD etc) and humid air (OK, MO, etc). Not sure why OK is grouped into the Midwest (its more Western than anything if you ask me), but since its grouped here, its massive tornadic activity lowers the Midwest's ratings. And at the bottom of the weather group is the South, by quite a long stretch, too. Most would disagree, but I dont care. Between the long, hot, buggy, horribly humid summers, bad natural disasters, etc, the South just simply suffers almost year round. Places like South Florida are very nice in winter, and most of the South has relatively minor winters, but the summers are horrid. Throw in droughts that are oppressive, massive humidity, tornadoes in winter and summer, ice storms, and city-destroying hurricanes, the South has, IMO, the worst weather in the nation.

Best transportation? The NE wins this by a long shot, too. The Midwest and West would be tied, the South in last place.

Best in sports? Hmmmm, tough. NE and Midwest tied for first. Between teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Jets, Bears, Packers, Bruins, Hawks, Red Wings, etc, etc, the history and fan fanatics cannot be touched. The South comes in 2nd place, ONLY because of football and their rabid devotion, especially for the SEC. Last place is the West, for pretty obvious reasons.

Best culture? A 4-way tie. Every region has culture of its own, and infused with many cultures from around the world.

Best cities? Depends on what youre looking for! IMO, the NE and Midwest have the cities that are most attractive to my tastes... big, thriving downtown regions, wonderful suburbs, 4 solid seasons, etc. The West would get my 2nd place vote because of cities like San Fran, Seattle, Santa Fe, etc. The South comes in last, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City