Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times

Advertisements

miami has a big medical center/ district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
You people still posting about the Augusta Medical Center do realize that the stats, pictures, and statistics are not all the impressive to people in Houston and are very familiar with TMC? If I"m not mistaken, August only has one major university medical program associated with it's medical center while TMC has AT LEAST four. I think they have few more than that but I'm not sure. I think Texas A&M might have some kind of affiliation with TMC as well but I'm not sure. The new buildings at Augusta's medical center look cool, but not anything close what's at TMC.

Last edited by wpmeads; 01-10-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 05:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
There used to be a Medical Center of Louisiana (MCLNO), but then Katrina came. 4 years later and LSU, Tulane, Xavier, Delgado, the State and a lot of angry people are still fighting whether or not to reopen the old one, or bulldoze 30 occupied residential blocks to build a new one. It's supposed to be modeled after TMC.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
There used to be a Medical Center of Louisiana (MCLNO), but then Katrina came. 4 years later and LSU, Tulane, Xavier, Delgado, the State and a lot of angry people are still fighting whether or not to reopen the old one, or bulldoze 30 occupied residential blocks to build a new one. It's supposed to be modeled after TMC.
That would really help the Louisiana economy and would bring a lot of high paying jobs to the state. I'm assume this is in NOLA right?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That would really help the Louisiana economy and would bring a lot of high paying jobs to the state. I'm assume this is in NOLA right?
Yeah, the Bio Innovation Center (http://www.neworleansbio.com/index2.html - broken link) and the Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium? should be open in the near future, but the fate of the bulk of the center is vague. LSU wants an entirely new center from the ground up while the other 3 schools want to use the old center since LSU's buildings strangely were the only ones "damaged beyond repair". FEMA doesn't want to pay for a new center but LSU has the state by the balls.

What ever happens it will be nice to get NOLA's economy diversified and hopefully give the city the edge to be close to what it once was.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
You people still posting about the Augusta Medical Center do realize that the stats, pictures, and statistics are not all the impressive to people in Houston and are very familiar with TMC? If I"m not mistaken, August only has one major university medical program associated with it's medical center while TMC has AT LEAST four. I think they have few more than that but I'm not sure. I think Texas A&M might have some kind of affiliation with TMC as well but I'm not sure. The new buildings at Augusta's medical center look cool, but not anything close what's at TMC.
It's not just people in Houston that aren't impressed...people in Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Winston-Salem, Durham, Birmingham, etc. are equally unimpressed.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not just people in Houston that aren't impressed...people in Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Winston-Salem, Durham, Birmingham, etc. are equally unimpressed.
Would you happen to have any picture of some of ATL's medical centers? I know there must be something good, with Emory(is that the name?) and the CDC.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The medical center in Waco looks more impressive then the one in Augusta.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Would you happen to have any picture of some of ATL's medical centers? I know there must be something good, with Emory(is that the name?) and the CDC.

ill get pics of miami's one day when i go to the beach, or downtown.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yeah, the Bio Innovation Center (http://www.neworleansbio.com/index2.html - broken link) and the Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium? should be open in the near future, but the fate of the bulk of the center is vague. LSU wants an entirely new center from the ground up while the other 3 schools want to use the old center since LSU's buildings strangely were the only ones "damaged beyond repair". FEMA doesn't want to pay for a new center but LSU has the state by the balls.

What ever happens it will be nice to get NOLA's economy diversified and hopefully give the city the edge to be close to what it once was.
TMC has don wonders for Houston and I think it really is one of the big reasons Houston's economy and growth is what it is today. It sounds like this medical center could be a major step in getting the New Orleans economy back to what it was before Katrina. Knowing the reputation of Louisiana and FEMA, I would image LSU and the city would have a hard time trying to get the funding to build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City