Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That isn't even as large as the Piedmont Hospital area of Atlanta...and that is just one of Atlanta's large, regional hospitals. You have to realize that you're comparing a nice-sized medical district in a smaller city to those of much larger cities that serve a much larger population. I'm sure that the district in Augusta is very good and attracts patients from all over the South, but it just doesn't compare to TMC in Houston or to the many hospitals and research centers in Atlanta...the CDC employees 15,000 people.

I would estimate the the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem is larger and more renowned than the district in Augusta. I was just there visiting a patient and was amazed at the number of different towers and the overall expanse of the hospital.

WFU Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem

Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, 1950 and 2008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrywfu/2281175893/ - broken link)
If you think this.

You obviously haven't seen Augusta's Medical District recently? Trust me that was a very tiny picture I showed you on here.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-04-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
If you think this.

You obviously haven't seen Augusta's Medical District recently? Trust me that was a very tiny picture I showed you on here.
Face it man, it's not close to being the medical center of the South. First off, there's no question Houston is. It's the #2 medical center in the country. Atlanta is probably in the top 5. Augusta may have a cute little medical center, and all the power to you...but it's not as influential as you think it is or want it to be.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
If you think this.

It's not a matter of my opinion...these are facts, and you don't seem to be impressed by factual information. I haven't ever seen Augusta's Medical District, but it just isn't of the size and scope of other districts mentioned in this thread. I'm sorrry, but that's just the simple truth.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Augusta is in the top 5 and definitely the top 10

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not a matter of my opinion...these are facts, and you don't seem to be impressed by factual information. I haven't ever seen Augusta's Medical District, but it just isn't of the size and scope of other districts mentioned in this thread. I'm sorrry, but that's just the simple truth.

You just said you haven't seen Augusta's. So how do you know the size and scope of it.

Do you really believe Wake Forest medical complex is bigger?

Where is your factual information? Houston's is larger nobody is denying that, but Wake Forest being bigger is not true.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-04-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
In the South? ...or in the nation?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In the South? ...or in the nation?
In the South. Im not naive on Houston's medical complex. I have family in Houston who lives in the city and Katy.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
In the South. Im not naive on Houston's medical complex. I have family in Houston who lives in the city and Katy.
Top 5 or 10 in the South. That's quite a concession from your OP and quite a bit more plausible. Is this thread over now?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
...in Georgia, I agree. You can't really believe that it is anywhere near the top 10 in the nation, or in the South for that matter. I feel for you because no one is in support of your statements, but that is because they are just really, really off.

Just for comparison purposes, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center employs almost 12,000 people with a primary service area of 26 counties in northwestern N.C. It has been ranked among America's best hospitals for 15 years and is in the top third of U.S. medical schools. It is comprised of 100 buildings on 290 acres and includes a 196-acre research campus in downtown Winston-Salem. It is a Level 1 trauma center and provides Aircare, a critical care transport service with both helicopter and ground ambulance transportation. I feel confident that this medical facility in Winston-Salem is larger and more recognized than anything in Augusta...and that isn't even a large city. Of course cities like Houston, Atlanta, etc. have medical facilities that dwarf anything Augusta might have. This is simply reality.

http://www.wfubmc.edu/UploadedImages/User_Content/PatientsAndVisitors/Visitor_Information/Maps,_Directions_and_Parking/medCenterCampusMapLarge.jpg (broken link)
Maps, Directions & Parking - Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

@ Norton

Ok, then you can't ignore the fact that Houston is easily tops in the South. I don't see how you can make a case for Augusta over Atlanta, or Raleigh-Durham either.

What highly-regarded schools does Augusta have that can match the likes of Rice, Emory, Duke, or UNC? What kind of private industry presence is there in Augusta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City