Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,643 times

Advertisements

What are America's truly great (or at least good) walking cities? Forget walkscore, I'm talking about from personal experience here. If there's a city where at least a substantial portion of it is fun to walk around in, it can be included. Im not talking just one walkable area (like Ybor in Tampa, for example) but where the character of the city is that most of it, or at least a decent chunk of it, is good for walking.

My list, and Ill begin with the usual suspects.

1) NYC--is head and shoulders above all others. No explanation needed.

2) San Francisco--despite the hills, it's so dense with infrastructure and there are so many unique neighborhoods to explore. The streetscape in SF is also one of the best in the country.

3) Chicago--Lots of great, bustling neighborhoods. Huge chunks of walkable areas, especially in the central and north sides.

4) Boston--I love the historic character of the city and the confusing maze-like streets. Like SF, a great streetscape.

5) Portland, OR--I love walking around in Portland. I live in Seattle and actually think Portland is a better walking town. The downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are truly pedestrian-scale, with small blocks and easy business access. It manages to somehow create both an intimate and urban feel at the same time.

6) Charleston, SC--A more quaint, but still fun town to walk through. Also very historical and feels very pedestrian friendly.

Any others to add to the list? What are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 AM

253 posts, read 968,051 times
NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Portland, Seattle and maybe SD (sun, girls)

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
nyc, la, chicago, philly, boston, miami all come to mind

Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
What are America's truly great (or at least good) walking cities? Forget walkscore, I'm talking about from personal experience here. If there's a city where at least a substantial portion of it is fun to walk around in, it can be included. Im not talking just one walkable area (like Ybor in Tampa, for example) but where the character of the city is that most of it, or at least a decent chunk of it, is good for walking.

My list, and Ill begin with the usual suspects.

1) NYC--is head and shoulders above all others. No explanation needed.

2) San Francisco--despite the hills, it's so dense with infrastructure and there are so many unique neighborhoods to explore. The streetscape in SF is also one of the best in the country.

3) Chicago--Lots of great, bustling neighborhoods. Huge chunks of walkable areas, especially in the central and north sides.

4) Boston--I love the historic character of the city and the confusing maze-like streets. Like SF, a great streetscape.

5) Portland, OR--I love walking around in Portland. I live in Seattle and actually think Portland is a better walking town. The downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are truly pedestrian-scale, with small blocks and easy business access. It manages to somehow create both an intimate and urban feel at the same time.

6) Charleston, SC--A more quaint, but still fun town to walk through. Also very historical and feels very pedestrian friendly.

Any others to add to the list? What are your reasons?
Savannah, GA - Same as your reasons for Charleston, SC.

Washington, DC -Particularly westside neighborhoods ie Georgetown and Dupont Circle, close-in communities ie Alexandria and Bethesda.

Annapolis, MD - Charming and historic.

Philadelphia, PA - contains charming walkable neighborhoods such as Rittenhouse Square, Kensington, Olney and Chestnut Hill.

Providence, RI - smaller version of Boston.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
New Orleans is pretty cool too. You just have to know where u are going.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
The cities I had the most fun walking around in:

NYC (Midtown around Penn Station and the big Macy's)
SF (From Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf)
Seattle (From Space Needle to the waterfront)
Atlanta (Up and down Peachtree in Midtown and Buckhead, and Highland Ave.)
Savannah (From Liberty St. to River Street through many squares)
Los Angeles (Downtown and Hollywood)
Chicago (Michigan Ave.)

In other countries:

Paris
Seoul
Tokyo/Yokohama
Sydney

Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
NYC
San Francisco
DC
Boston
Chicago
Philly
LA
Milwaukee
Baltimore

Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
New Orleans is pretty cool too. You just have to know where u are going.
New Orleans is a great place to wander if you're an architecture enthusiast. A lot of Uptown is very walkable, the Garden District, the Vieux Carre (of course) and the Marigny (though I don't know how 'locked down' the Marigny is post-Katrina).

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
I find the central and close-in neighborhoods of most major cities enjoyable to stroll around in. Some that immediately come to mind:

NYC
DC
Boston
San Fran
Chicago
Seattle
Philly

Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Chicago
New York
Boston
San Francisco
DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City