Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,408 times

Advertisements

Lol I know your bout to say "wow Stefan how many threads are you going to start in one day?" But I have just been getting a lot of ideas!

So this one is about Coastal Cities VS Inland Cities alot of Americas largest cities are either coastal or perched upon a major lake or river. Cities like Miami NYC and LA thrive on and had their stepping stones from/on the ports. Where as others use them for tourism such as Salt Lake City etc.

But inland cities has to have the hardest recognition and either developed due to a rush for a product or industrial use cities like Atlanta we're based upon the cotton and trade industry Charlotte also trade and cotton or like Winston-Salem is unique it joined from 2 towns and emerged as a large tobacco industry! Other cities like St. Louis and mid west cities are another story they had to rely on what that area had to offer and build trade posts etc. Inland cities offer more building land but it's hard for them to build that "Major City" status.

So which do you think is better?
Take in consideration the vibes, culture, economy, population, major companies etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
I Live in an Inland city (Orlando) so from experience, Coastal cities. Access to more industries IMPO. Having Air, Land, and Water Transport suites ANY city well. Also skylines tend to be built by them. I know not one coastal city with an Inland skyline. Well Except Jacksonville. But I meant a skyline that is not built off of a river or lake or any body of water!

All in all air is better as well and weather is usually cooler in coastal cities.(Most People Dont Like Heat) I do! But if it is a thriving city like Atlanta then sure why not. Even Orlando is not that bad.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Coast cities by far.

There's a natural beauty and energy associated with large bodies of water that just can't be found in landlocked cities.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Coast cities by far.

There's a natural beauty and energy associated with large bodies of water that just can't be found in landlocked cities.
Well you also have cities that have rivers and beautiful mountains! I would actually prefer a city that has mountains in the back drop. Also mountain cites work much the same way as coastal cities or more because they're cooler and they don't have nearly as much humidity as compared to coastal cities and inland cities.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Coastal, preferably Gulf or Florida coastal.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Well you also have cities that have rivers and beautiful mountains! I would actually prefer a city that has mountains in the back drop. Also mountain cites work much the same way as coastal cities or more because they're cooler and they don't have nearly as much humidity as compared to coastal cities and inland cities.
True. Humidity is a no-no in my book. Although I don't think being on the coasts has anything to do with it. For instance, Miami, Charlotte, Washington DC, NYC, and Boston aka basically up and down the east coast can have some of the most stifling humidity anywhere in the country.

Whereas, on the west coast, humidity like that can not be found whatsoever.

Also, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles all have mountains in the background.

Perhaps that's your ideal.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I prefer Coastal cities.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I Live in an Inland city (Orlando) so from experience, Coastal cities. Access to more industries IMPO. Having Air, Land, and Water Transport suites ANY city well. Also skylines tend to be built by them. I know not one coastal city with an Inland skyline. Well Except Jacksonville. But I meant a skyline that is not built off of a river or lake or any body of water!

All in all air is better as well and weather is usually cooler in coastal cities.(Most People Dont Like Heat) I do! But if it is a thriving city like Atlanta then sure why not. Even Orlando is not that bad.
Downtown LA isn't near the ocean.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Downtown LA isn't near the ocean.
Venice is probably more quintessentially "LA" anyway.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
So this one is about Coastal Cities VS Inland Cities alot of Americas largest cities are either coastal or perched upon a major lake or river. Cities like Miami NYC and LA thrive on and had their stepping stones from/on the ports. Where as others use them for tourism such as Salt Lake City etc.
So which do you think is better?
Take in consideration the vibes, culture, economy, population, major companies etc.
Hard to talk about "better" but coastal cities or port cities tend to have more exchange with other countries therefore tend to be more vibrant, cosmopolitan and tend to develop more pronounced culture. Not surprising up to this day New York feels more European while LA feels more Asian since these were the major areas of the world served by their ports.
If you compare their growth rates to that of the third largest city, Chicago, you can see how Chicago got outpaced by them both in terms of size and cultural significance. Strangely, being an international port is a huge advantage even in the age of air travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City