Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,202 times

Advertisements

Anyone saying Hip Hop is from the south or NOT from NYC is an idiot. NYC created the culture and made it popular enough to even spread to the South. Without NYC, the South Bronx specifically, Hip Hop would not exist. Like pun said "Soundview, who are we, the foundation"

This is coming from a born an bred southerner who hates NYC an is a dirty south rap fanatic. From UGK to Kast to Boosie an Gucci I mostly listen to southern rap, but I'm not some idiot who doesn't respect the creators and the legends who made it possible for my favorite rappers to even exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM

170 posts, read 391,329 times
[quote=NY1984;18869391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post

But these people are AROUND the culture in which it started. It never dies. So in your opinion, someone in middle-of-nowhere Kansas will know just as much about hip hop than someone who lives in the Bronx whose father was a DJ when hip hop began in their own neighborhood? please. I worked in the Bronx, and you can tell the old culture is still there. I have seen 7 year olds break dancing in the streets. Break dancing hasn't been around for 20+ years, but these kids are still influenced by it.

LOL!!!

...breakdancing in NYC is more of a novelty thing now..people in other countries take it more serious then people in NYC nowadays..kids is more familiar with the chicken noodle soup dance thou,lol

and if that person in kansas was really a hiphop head and wanted learn about it he could easily know more about the culture then someone from the Bronx..EVERYBODY in the BX isn't knowledgable on the history of hiphop...

NAS himself even claimed hiphop is dead because the essence of it is gone in general..its all about money now..NYC radio stations play whatever's "hot", they don't care about the underground no more..

the majority of up-n-coming m.c's thats out now aren't even from NYC..and the few that is is straight up garbage..NICKI MINAJ??..please..she's wack and corny, and i bet she couldn't recite a verse from Roxanne Shante or MC Lyte

Old 04-25-2011, 11:57 AM

35 posts, read 32,382 times
[quote=DAMEN VII;18872266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1984 View Post

LOL!!!

...breakdancing in NYC is more of a novelty thing now..people in other countries take it more serious then people in NYC nowadays..kids is more familiar with the chicken noodle soup dance thou,lol

same thing...have you ever been to the bronx? my guess is you haven't, though i'm sure you will say you have.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:

NAS himself even claimed hiphop is dead because the essence of it is gone in general..its all about money now..NYC radio stations play whatever's "hot", they don't care about the underground no more..

the majority of up-n-coming m.c's thats out now aren't even from NYC..and the few that is is straight up garbage..NICKI MINAJ??..please..she's wack and corny, and i bet she couldn't recite a verse from Roxanne Shante or MC Lyte
Was there a Gucci Mane or Plies in 1992? No.

What does being from NYC mean? That you're a real emcee? So Cassidy, Common, and Lupe Fiasco must be garbage.
Nicki Minaj was influenced by New York, so she represents it. What does reciting a verse have to do with anything? I'm sure you can't recite a random A Tribe Called Quest or KRS-One song, it doesn't mean you're not a dedicated fan. I personally think she's a wonderful artist, I wish I could meet her. She's going down as one of, or the best female rapper in history. I doubt you could put her verses together, so why knock her? I don't see how people can judge people on a skill they can't even come close to replicating.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

What does being from NYC mean? That you're a real emcee? So Cassidy, Common, and Lupe Fiasco must be garbage.
Nicki Minaj was influenced by New York, so she represents it. What does reciting a verse have to do with anything? I'm sure you can't recite a random A Tribe Called Quest or KRS-One song, it doesn't mean you're not a dedicated fan. I personally think she's a wonderful artist, I wish I could meet her. She's going down as one of, or the best female rapper in history. I doubt you could put her verses together, so why knock her? I don't see how people can judge people on a skill they can't even come close to replicating.
You quoted me and I didn't say this lol.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
You quoted me and I didn't say this lol.
The quote tags confused me...

Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The quote tags confused me...
That's okay. just wanted to make sure you meant him and not me.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
LOL!!!

and if that person in kansas was really a hiphop head and wanted learn about it he could easily know more about the culture then someone from the Bronx..EVERYBODY in the BX isn't knowledgable on the history of hiphop...

Who made Nas the spokesperson for rap? And what does being able to recite a verse from Shante have to do with being hip hop? Either you're really old - ie you lived in the 80's and early 90's - or really young and think that because you read an internet blog about true hip hop that you're in a position to judge.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
[quote=DAMEN VII;18872266]
Quote:

LOL!!!

Yet she beats the ____ out of a Diamond, Jacki-O, Trina, Gucci Mane, etc., she's a very sly lyricist, very metaphorical and she uses a ton of adianoetas which I happen to like. Nicki is the shyt. A lot of Hip-Hop heads love for things to be spelled out to them in a very lyrical manor so I understand why some dislike her and/or don't understand her. Ironically Lyte & Roxanne love the hell out of Nicki.

I don't really care for most (95%) of underground rap anymore, a lot of it is outdated and the same mumbo jumbo over and over again over hot beats. I like J. Cole, B.o.B, Nicki, Lupe, etc., mainstream's quality has jumped drastically. I don't really listen to the radio but when I do it's not the same as it was 2 years ago.

Also Nas somewhat retracted that "Hip-Hop is dead" statement recently:

Quote:
"Nicki Minaj, Drake, Ross and Kanye just came to just kill it off. You know, they did they thing. They kept this thing alive.” - Nas
Video: Nas Credits Nicki Minaj, Drake, Rick Ross and Kanye West for Keeping Hip Hop Alive : KillerHipHop.com

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

170 posts, read 391,329 times
Quote:

uuuuhh no..

i was talking about NYC specifically because we was talking about the birthplace of hiphop, and i was explaining that just because a person is from NYC, it doesn't automatically qualify you as being some type of hiphop expert..and i used Nicki as an example of someone who im sure wouldn't be too familiar with most of the other female m.c's that came before her from her own city..

And everybody has the right to form their own opinion about how they feel about her music..but personally, i think she's too gimmicky and is a mix between missy and lady gaga..but since the rap game was missing a female m.c, she came along at the perfect time, plus not to mention she's connected with young money..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City