Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,784,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Where is Austin flat? In the least sense? That's the Hill Country. There are so many steep roads that I almost lose myself.
Being originally from PNW I can tell you what is or is not flat. Austin, more flat, that hilly. Maybe if your from Texas you think Im out of my mind, but I know hills, and a grassy knoll does not qualify. Austin in NEXT to hill country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
let me be the first to say that I think NY city flatness would suck
...Huh????

Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
...Huh????
You said no one ever says anything about NY City being flat, well I think that would suck. Never been there, but if its flat like you say, I think that would suck. Just wanted to be a Trailblazer.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,501,363 times
Compared to the PNW, most places are flat. I live in Charlotte, NC and everyone talks about going to the "mountians." I call them hills. The black diamond at the local ski place was like the bunny hill of any PNW ski place.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
Hmm....last time I checked Austin was anything but flat, especially west Austin with elevations aoa 2000ft.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,605,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Maybe you guys should do what Im thinking about and take a look at Colorado.
No need to. We know we don't have rocky mountain sized mountains like Colorado so there should be no comparison. But we have what we have in Texas and use it very well know what it is. We aren't making it out to be a future place for the next Winter Olympics. But Austin is not a flat city.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Portland is NOT a planned community. It has a very historic nature (buildings). The eastside of Portland is very Bohemian. I think you should really visit Portland and Houston before making a decision. I can't imagine any sane person choosing Houston over Portland. This is not even a close contest in my opinion (And I think Portland has plenty of flaws, but HOUSTON???!!! I can think of few places I'd rather NOT live)
Ahh, it must be the 824,000 people who aren't sane huh (number of people who have moved to Houston since 2000)? How about the 950,000 from 1990-2000?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM

942 posts, read 1,395,760 times
You choose what is appropriate for you, in fact I would take a break from the posts here if I were you. What may be right for someone else may be completely wrong for you, everyones circumstances, there needs, there likes and dislikes are all very personal and can be completely different from one person to the other. I would do some personal research on each place, and of course visit each when you have the time and finances to do that, and see how each place fits into your life and what your needs are. When you figure that out, it will be much easier for you to make the decision. I would not pick a place because one had a nice view of Mt Hood and the other had a view of freeways. I would go with the one that gave me the best means to make a living until I was at a point in life where jobs took second place as to places I would like to live. Truthfully when one is of working age and has to make a living, now a days more than ever, that is how you really need to choose where you live. If you can get a decent job in Portland, and you like the place you probably would be making a good choice by moving here. However, if the choice came to views of Mt Hood and struggling to make a living here, and I found I had alot more employment choices in Houston. Well I would go with the view of Houstons many freeways over views of Mt Hood any day if I had to work for a living, and wanted a future.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,536 times
Oh so Texas is flat?

More: Interstate 10 west Texas photos Pecos Crockett counties

And Austin:

http://blog.monkeymask.net/images/austin/hills.jpg (broken link)
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/jsb23/exs460/Texas%20Hill%20Country.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
You choose what is appropriate for you, in fact I would take a break from the posts here if I were you. What may be right for someone else may be completely wrong for you, everyones circumstances, there needs, there likes and dislikes are all very personal and can be completely different from one person to the other. I would do some personal research on each place, and of course visit each when you have the time and finances to do that, and see how each place fits into your life and what your needs are. When you figure that out, it will be much easier for you to make the decision. I would not pick a place because one had a nice view of Mt Hood and the other had a view of freeways. I would go with the one that gave me the best means to make a living until I was at a point in life where jobs took second place as to places I would like to live. Truthfully when one is of working age and has to make a living, now a days more than ever, that is how you really need to choose where you live. If you can get a decent job in Portland, and you like the place you probably would be making a good choice by moving here. However, if the choice came to views of Mt Hood and struggling to make a living here, and I found I had alot more employment choices in Houston. Well I would go with the view of Houstons many freeways over views of Mt Hood any day if I had to work for a living, and wanted a future.
I just wanted to comment on what a really nice post this is. The poster said what needed to be said and didn't bash any one state vs. another. This is just very refreshing to see. Maybe I'm, off topic, but I just thought this post was excellent.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM

832 posts, read 3,856,491 times
Portland, not so much Seattle, in a NY minute. Houston over Portland. The economy, cultural opportunities, multicultural city, smokes Potland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City