Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times

Advertisements

I think Portland looks like a beautiful city. It's one of those places that makes you wonder why you never hear much about it. Those are the best cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
You never hear about it cuz those who live there like to it keep a secret

Last edited by nanannie; 06-02-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You never hear about it cuz those who live there like to keep a secret
That cat has been out of that bag for a while now already, lots of transplants from all over. That's why prices have soar and now out of reach for some, otherwise I would moved there or to seattle already.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
I know.I was only kidding.I left about the time it got "Californicated"

Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 AM

42 posts, read 69,228 times
Here are some photos I took from out my window just a minute ago. Sadly, my friends Digital Camera doesn't take the best photos, so the quality is kind of lacking, but it gives you at least an idea of what my view is. These photos really do my view no justice. This is the view from a studio apartment which I pay $550 a month for.

Sorry, the images are so huge, and I have no means on this computer to resize them (need to get photoshop)! I will post the images later so that 56k users aren't sitting around forever waiting for the page to load.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,381 times
56k users be damned - please post them.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Who is the arbiter of all things urban? What definition of suburban and urban are we using? That may be where the confusion lies. I have seen these threads on HAIF, SSP, and SSC, and there is no consensus. I still disagree that sunbelt cities are not urban. Just because people from Northeastern cities say cities that sprawl are not urban doesn't make it so. Do they say that because people live out instead of up? All the houses in the city center are not single-family homes, even if they do appear that way. The definition of urban I'm working with comes from the dictionary. Besides Houston is a young city. It doesn't have the extra hundred year headstart cities like NYC have had. It is still growing and changing. I just don't hold the view that car-oriented equals suburban. That word has a whole other connotation for me. You can call it car-oriented and low-density and on that we can agree. Regardless, I think the expansion of the rail will help immensely.

Well, it's not just people from Northeastern cities. It's people from around the world and especially Europe that talk about the sunbelt cities. I hate to repeat myself but the majority of Houston is low density sprawl, giant parking lots, car-oriented, not very pedestrian friendly, huge car lots, and strip malls galore 9, with every chain restuarant that you can find in any suburb usa with giant malls(you can blame the outer loop for this though because that's the reason why the majority of people refer to Houston as a giant suburb). That is what most think of as a suburban. The city of Houston as well as the other sunbelt cities are suburban in nature. They were in fact built for people with the mindset that you have to use a car for everything. Whereas the cities of Chicago, NY, Philadelphia, and Boston are all different. But Houston inside the loop is slowly turning into a dense urban environment and the rail will help immensely. Which is why if I ever move to Houston, I'm staying in the loop.

Let me add that being surbaban is not a bad thing. Oak Park, Illinois is a great suburb in Chicago. It's the way we built suburbs and cities in the Post WW2 that frustrates alot of us. Fortuantely, much of the inner loop was built before WW2 or a little after.

Last edited by Spade; 06-03-2007 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-03-2007, 02:03 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
Portland is NOT a planned community. It has a very historic nature (buildings). The eastside of Portland is very Bohemian. I think you should really visit Portland and Houston before making a decision. I can't imagine any sane person choosing Houston over Portland. This is not even a close contest in my opinion (And I think Portland has plenty of flaws, but HOUSTON???!!! I can think of few places I'd rather NOT live)

Old 06-03-2007, 02:24 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Portland is NOT a planned community. It has a very historic nature (buildings). The eastside of Portland is very Bohemian. I think you should really visit Portland and Houston before making a decision. I can't imagine any sane person choosing Houston over Portland. This is not even a close contest in my opinion (And I think Portland has plenty of flaws, but HOUSTON???!!! I can think of few places I'd rather NOT live)
I hear you. You gotta be nuts to choose Houston. Portland hands down. In fact sewage plant over houston tough decision, but I still id really have to mow it over.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Potland, definitely! Any place with a name like that has got to be cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City