Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
LOL. And regardless of how many pictures he posts, Dallas still sits on the Texas Blackland Prairie and the Crosstimbers (which are naturally wooded). Hell, there's a city called Grand PRAIRIE in the area, so it's not like we're talking out of our behinds here. The name of that city was based on maps drawn from around 1850 through 1858 that labeled the area between Dallas and Fort Worth "the grand prairie of Texas".

Most of the trees in the area that are not in Creek/River Valleys or in the Crosstimbers were mostly planted. The western part of the metroplex sits on the Crosstimbers more than Dallas itself does.

Prairie is not necessarily synonymous with "treeless" though. There are natural occurrences of oak trees in the region.

Also many of the suburbs of the area were created on what was once farmland, explaining the barren looks of many parts of Frisco and McKinney. If someone saw a picture of Plano from about 30 years ago, it would look similar. Many of the trees planted in the city have grown since then.
Absolutely. DFW is on the prarie. Just because it is wooded in some areas doesnt really change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
LOL. And regardless of how many pictures he posts, Dallas still sits on the Texas Blackland Prairie and the Crosstimbers (which are naturally wooded). Hell, there's a city called Grand PRAIRIE in the area, so it's not like we're talking out of our behinds here. The name of that city was based on maps drawn from around 1850 through 1858 that labeled the area between Dallas and Fort Worth "the grand prairie of Texas".

Most of the trees in the area that are not in Creek/River Valleys or in the Crosstimbers were mostly planted. The western part of the metroplex sits on the Crosstimbers more than Dallas itself does.

Prairie is not necessarily synonymous with "treeless" though. There are natural occurrences of oak trees in the region.

Also many of the suburbs of the area were created on what was once farmland, explaining the barren looks of many parts of Frisco and McKinney. If someone saw a picture of Plano from about 30 years ago, it would look similar. Many of the trees planted in the city have grown since then.
Well if you want to see some native trees of DFW go on the Westside of Fort Worth around TCU/Ridgley/zoo area or Trinity Park. Those trees in those area where not planted. I get so sick of people feeling like the northern suburbs represent the geography of North Texas. I am a native of East Fort Worth and we are definitely are not lacking trees.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Well if you want to see some native trees of DFW go on the Westside of Fort Worth around TCU/Ridgley/zoo area or Trinity Park. Those trees in those area where not planted. I get so sick of people feeling like the northern suburbs represent the geography of North Texas. I am a native of East Fort Worth and we are definitely are not lacking trees.
My cousin lives in East Fort Worth & has tall pine trees in her back yard...more than likely they were planted many, many years ago.

I found it to be quite a bizarre phenomenon in the North Texas region of the state to see pine trees. The vegetation is sparse, typically scrub brush with your occasional patch of oak trees spattered here & there, mostly near waterways & lakes.

Don't even dare use inner city Dallas as an example of mature trees. Those were also planted decades ago.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Denver most certainly qualifies as a prairie city. It's often misidentified with the Rocky Mountains, because of its close proximity to the foothills. But in reality, it's a prairie city, albiet, at the end of the prairie.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Why are Dallasites pissed they live on a prairie???

Get over it; you live in a Treeless prairie. It's not the end of the world.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

If I can grow up in Southern California and get used to it, Im sure everyone else can too.

Believe it or not, I find the prarie beautiful in its own way. I travel two and from Waco once or twice a month and some times I like to get on Farm to Market road 308 between Italy and Waco. Its a small road that cuts through that landscape. I really enjoy it (even if it does take longer).

Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

They would if people would stop bashing Dallasites for living in a treeless prairie.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They would if people would stop bashing Dallasites for living in a treeless prairie.
It's not bashing; it's telling the truth. I was born in Waco; which is on a prairie and I'm not offended when people say that.

Throwing up pictures of trees is pointless because still lots of the MSA is treeless.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM

316 posts, read 654,613 times
I don't get it why the people from Dallas get mad about that. To me that's what makes Dallas and Fort Worth a cool city. Trust me guys, you do not want a whole lot of trees near you when a storm comes through. I like it when I come to DFW because that gets me away from all of these pine trees in Georgia. But I do know DFW have trees, they just don't have as many!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
It's not bashing; it's telling the truth. I was born in Waco; which is on a prairie and I'm not offended when people say that.

Throwing up pictures of trees is pointless because still lots of the MSA is treeless.
I understand where YOU are coming from. But from the past years in many threads discussing this very same thing, Dallasites was bashed constantly from different people that they live in a vast open treeless prairie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City